Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accrington Stanley (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/)
-   -   Paul Scholes (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/paul-scholes-70430.html)

AccyMad 11-02-2019 18:28

Paul Scholes

So Paul Scholes has been announced as the new manager of Oldham Athletic,even though he owns a stake in Salford City & the EFL are ok with that. Surprise, surprise - they can bend the rules when it suits them, depending on who you are of course.
So, what happens if Salford who are currently riding high in the Conference gain promotion to League 2 - I presume then Scholes would have to either resign from Oldham or relinquish his shares in Salford, time will tell . . . . . . .

monkey hanger 12-02-2019 12:56

Re: Paul Scholes

think he owns ten per cent of their shares. he could have passed em over to a family member though and nothing much would have been said then. does sound a bit strange and if they do play salford next season whatever the score or result it will not stop any finger pointing because of his situation.

cashman 12-02-2019 15:27

Its not against any rules, yeh can have 10% slong as yeh dont have a position with a club, a position of working that is.

monkey hanger 12-02-2019 15:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1224127)
Its not against any rules, yeh can have 10% slong as yeh dont have a position with a club, a position of working that is.

i imagine when they made the rules they would never have thought that something like the paul scholes situation would crop up. it must be a conflict of interest if salford and oldham are in the same division next season as his shares were purchased for investment purposes up against his employer.

cashman 12-02-2019 16:01

Never said the rules are right just said what they are.

AccyMad 12-02-2019 17:22

And yet look at the fuss kicked up by the EFL when AH dared to buy our lads a burger or two last season - like I said, depends who you are when they decide what rules apply . . . .

ferret man 12-02-2019 18:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccyMad (Post 1224132)
And yet look at the fuss kicked up by the EFL when AH dared to buy our lads a burger or two last season - like I said, depends who you are when they decide what rules apply . . . .

So what's the difference between a Beef burger and a Rich burger

Exile on Spencer St 12-02-2019 19:05

Wish Scholes and Oldham well but, as Accymad suggests, it smacks of hypocrisy from the EFL.
According to its own website, Para 104 of the EFL rules clearly state that no-one can have “interests in more than one football club”.
“Interests” include owning shares and being involved in the management of a club.
Oh, but hang on, it’s OK. The EFL can allow it’s rules to be ignored “under exceptional circumstances”.
Mmm, I wonder if it’s Scholes’ associations with Oldham, Salford, or Manchester United Inc that make his case “exceptional”?

It’s a big “if” that Salford will be playing Oldham next season (maybe more likely if Scholes proves to be a useless manager?) but, if they do, I just hope it’s not in an end of season match that decides either club’s ‘fate’. Otherwise the result, whatever it is, will be fair game for conspiracy theorists.

Twenty Eight 12-02-2019 19:07

Why do you think there was all the talk of Beckham getting involved ? If there had been a problem Scholes 10% would have been “given” to Golden balls.

cashman 12-02-2019 19:09

It is Gross Hypocrisy to me, but its in rules, if rules are poorly written or yeh got knobheads interpreting em thats another argument to me?

choirboy 12-02-2019 19:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccyMad (Post 1224110)
So Paul Scholes has been announced as the new manager of Oldham Athletic,even though he owns a stake in Salford City & the EFL are ok with that. Surprise, surprise - they can bend the rules when it suits them, depending on who you are of course.
So, what happens if Salford who are currently riding high in the Conference gain promotion to League 2 - I presume then Scholes would have to either resign from Oldham or relinquish his shares in Salford, time will tell . . . . . . .

Is the Vanarama League, (often referred to as the National League or Football Conference), actually part of the EFL? If not, then I presume they have their own rules? If so, then perhaps Scholes has not actually broken any rules ........Yet!:confused::idunno:

Exile on Spencer St 12-02-2019 19:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by choirboy (Post 1224138)
Is the Vanarama League, (often referred to as the National League or Football Conference), actually part of the EFL? If not, then I presume they have their own rules? If so, then perhaps Scholes has not actually broken any rules ........Yet!:confused::idunno:

The EFL ‘rules’ include the National League. That’s why Scholes had to get special permission.
https://www.efl.com/-more/governance...al-provisions/

monkey hanger 13-02-2019 10:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twenty Eight (Post 1224136)
Why do you think there was all the talk of Beckham getting involved ? If there had been a problem Scholes 10% would have been “given” to Golden balls.

beckham got his 10 per cent from peter lim salfords main money man before the scholes issue came up.

monkey hanger 13-02-2019 10:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1224137)
It is Gross Hypocrisy to me, but its in rules, if rules are poorly written or yeh got knobheads interpreting em thats another argument to me?

for a cynic like me i think rules are poorly written on purpose to allow stuff like this to go on. its never black or white but a mucky grey where football authorities are concerned.

cashman 13-02-2019 10:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkey hanger (Post 1224165)
for a cynic like me i think rules are poorly written on purpose to allow stuff like this to go on. its never black or white but a mucky grey where football authorities are concerned.

Yeh may well be correct with that assumption mate.