Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accrington Stanley (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/)
-   -   First league win of 2019 thread (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/first-league-win-of-2019-thread-70448.html)

James Cheverton 19-02-2019 21:44

First league win of 2019 thread

Entertaining game tonight. After a slow first few minutes, the reds carved open some great opportunities in the first half and we should have been further in front at the break (the goal we scored was another excellent mcconville delivery). Second half Oxford carved us open many times but in the same breath left the back door open for us hence the goal feast! Massive 3 points in the bag. Shows how far we have come to be getting a gate of 2000 on a wet Tuesday night in February. In recent previous seasons that would have 1100/1200 including 300 away fans. The 2 new forwards have helped renew are attacking confidence.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Lord Stiffupperlip 19-02-2019 22:41

Re: First league win of 2019 thread

There are times when you achieve success against the odds. Tonight was one of those occasions.
Anyone not at the game would assume the final score was par for the course against one of the league strugglers.
How wrong they would be! Outplayed for long periods against a never-say-die opponent, we converted all of our chances with clinical precision.
Tonight was really a must-win game for us & despite going 2-0 up, then 3-1 up, you've got to admire the gallant 'U's' for battling back to 3-2.
When 7 minutes of extra time was announced, a draw was looking like a serious possibility until super-sub Armstrong delivered the coup-de-grace in the 94th minute.
They say that to win when playing badly is the sign of a good team. Based on tonight's performance, we must be brilliant! Goals apart, we were awful.
Walking home after the game a voice called from across the road. 'Well done tonight', said a U's fan getting into his car for the long journey home; 'We haven't won an away game for a year!' - Now that's what I call dedication.
Football can be a cruel old game.

choirboy 19-02-2019 23:08

Fully agree with you Lord Stiff Upperlip. Oxford were skilful, slick and quick in all that they did going forward. We were quite fortunate to get the three points tonight. It was indeed an ‘End to end’ affair tonight. The most pleasing element for the Stanley faithful was to see us scoring goals again in free play! Every time we scored and got in front it was just nerve wracking as you could see the inevitability that Oxford would score too. The turning point was our third goal against the run of play made by the superb little fella Smythe and finished as wonderfully by Clarke with a deft header. We still seemed to be lacking combativity in midfield throughout the match but the boys at the back did their utmost to keep the goals against to a minimum.
It was a well attended match for a dank, drizzly Tuesday evening in February and hopefully we can kick on from here and move up the table.
Well done to John, Jimmy and the team and to the great ‘Vocal’ fans again tonight!:wave8::rose8:
ON STANLEY ON

cashman 20-02-2019 07:36

Tis a funny owd game,! seen us play ok in jan and not score a goal. played not that good at all last night and scored 4??? we played excellant on friday night and only got a point,also. like others have said its good to see us scoring again, to me twas a matter of time cos we were still creating. anyhow on to sat and hope for a better performance.

Revived Red 20-02-2019 07:44

It sounds like a repeat of the game at Oxford earlier in the season. Then we were outthought, outskilled, outmuscled - but still won 3 - 2. Well done Stanley.

cashman 20-02-2019 08:16

Forgot to mention the ref was whistle happy and brought a whole new meaning to "Village Idiot"

monkey hanger 20-02-2019 08:51

got to agree with the few on here about the game. radio lancashire gave the impression it was a cracker and i thought it might have been me last night. seen better goaless draws and certainly seen us play far better and getting nothing out of the game. guess thats football but i do feel a bit sorry for the oxford fans going home and wondering how they actually lost 4-2 last night.

Chewbacca 20-02-2019 09:31

Stanley were more clinical, both defenses were poor and could have ended up 5-5.

The conditions were bad, I thought the ref did well not to book a few more and allow for that as there were of tackles a fraction too late or due to momentum from the wet pitch.

Lord Didsbury 20-02-2019 10:17

I was quite impressed by Oxford. Great passing and movement at times. Their left winger in particular was very scary.
Their fans see it differently of course, and conceding 4 goals the way they did it’s no wonder.

Hard to pick any particular good or bad performances yesterday. Everyone did just about ok.

Can’t wait for Finley to return though. I think he’ll get Smyth and Clark more into the game.

Ref seemed ok to me.

cashman 20-02-2019 11:17

Have to agree oer Finley, think hes certainly an asset to our side, hope hes learnt though.

Crown Grounder 20-02-2019 12:07

We desperately need a holding midfielder to put his foot on the ball and dictate play, but its not going to happen....at least this season....

Inspector Morse 20-02-2019 12:19

I notice Coneelys absence didn't exactly improve things in midfield.

ferret man 20-02-2019 12:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Morse (Post 1224482)
I notice Coneelys absence didn't exactly improve things in midfield.

Neither would his inclusion

Exile on Spencer St 20-02-2019 13:24

First a perfect cross at Sunderland to lay on a goal and now a goal from his left-foot! Sean McMarmite, take a bow!
Well done to him and to all the team, management, and fans for contributing to a great result.
We’ve all seen Stanley play well and lose, so I’m happy if they get 3 points when not playing as well as they can.

cashman 20-02-2019 13:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St (Post 1224486)
First a perfect cross at Sunderland to lay on a goal and now a goal from his left-foot! Sean McMarmite, take a bow!
Well done to him and to all the team, management, and fans for contributing to a great result.
We’ve all seen Stanley play well and lose, so I’m happy if they get 3 points when not playing as well as they can.

Happy is not the word, DELIGHTED.:hothothot