Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accrington Stanley (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/)
-   -   Mortgaging the family silver (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/mortgaging-the-family-silver-70586.html)

Spartacus2nd 20-05-2019 10:15

Mortgaging the family silver

Andy asked an appropriate question on Twitter this morning ...

We have the option (theoretically) of selling the ownership of the ground, to Andy, a subsidiary, or A.N Other, and leasing the ground back. This COULD put a large sum of money into the pot to fund a promotion tilt to The Championship. We would then lease the ground back ...

Q should we do it?

I know what my answer would be but Im lumped in under 'unambitious and happy with Stanley's lot'. Others have stated that this is our chance and we should be investing into the squad.

It was noted that this one-shot injection would fund an above average L1 budget

cashman 20-05-2019 11:13

Re: Mortgaging the family silver

To be honest dont understand it proper, only thing concerns me at the moment, is how would this be sustained?if ground is leased then surely its at the will of leaseholder?

AccyMad 20-05-2019 11:38

I'd like to know a bit more about it before offering my opinion tbh, it would depend who the prospective new leaseholder was for a start

Greger 20-05-2019 12:08

I thought that this is what you do to save your club when there are no options left. Not to fund a promotion push by a club that couldn't sustain it at the higher level anyway. Count me in among the unambitious.

cashman 20-05-2019 12:15

I would certainly love us to achieve it, but not at "Any Cost"

AccyMad 20-05-2019 12:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1228392)
I would certainly love us to achieve it, but not at "Any Cost"

Absolutely agree, wouldn't want to do a Bury

Spartacus2nd 20-05-2019 12:26

I thing his question was theoretical as opposed to 'im considering doing ...". Its on the back of an argument as to what defines a fit n proper owner? As we all know many clubs have owners who throw silly money into their clubs and its not sustainable. If their personal slush fund runs dry they look to finance the gamble another way. Some clubs sell their training ground, then the stadium etc etc until theres nothing left and the club is on its arse

Twenty Eight 20-05-2019 12:37

The freehold cost £400k - which led to a £23,000 saving on rent.
Kayden Jackson paid for that.
I assume the club owns all the stands etc so in reality what is it worth to an investor ?
How much will the rent be ?
You would have to say that if the investor was Andy Holt you might trust the move more.
However whilst Andy is close to being God, as a businessman what a good deal this would be for HIM.
The only other way to push on is to sell players and try to pick up bargains.
Not sustainable in my humble opinion but I don't want to get pulled in to the age old argument yet again.

Spartacus2nd 20-05-2019 12:56

Thats the thing though 28 ... most owners dont start out as bad or 'rogue' owners as Andy puts it. Whilst nobody really thinks it a good move to sell the ground, we WOULD probably trust him. But in 5, 10, 15 years time who knows what transpires? He could drop dead tomorrow and Mrs Holt decides to cash all her chips in to that mong who wanted to rename us Lancashire United!

Twenty Eight 20-05-2019 13:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartacus2nd (Post 1228396)
Thats the thing though 28 ... most owners dont start out as bad or 'rogue' owners as Andy puts it. Whilst nobody really thinks it a good move to sell the ground, we WOULD probably trust him. But in 5, 10, 15 years time who knows what transpires? He could drop dead tomorrow and Mrs Holt decides to cash all her chips in to that mong who wanted to rename us Lancashire United!

Worse than that, Andy turns into Astute Businessman Ltd and increases the rent year on year regardless of the club's status.
I really can't be bothered to get into this argument again about what's right for the club.
I have my thoughts as do most contributors on here and I accept I am 1/ Not a die hard with a huge club history and 2/ In the minority.
As long as the old timers are happy .......... game on.

Spartacus2nd 20-05-2019 13:16

Lol, youre definitely right on point 1!

Spartacus2nd 20-05-2019 13:20

Im not picking an argument with you 28, but i do value your opinion and different angle on things. Reading Andy's twitter frequently, you notice that the ones who disagree with him tend to come from clubs who have money.

Most long timers here know the value of a shilling, and many have toiled on the ground at one time or another to save the club tuppence. Fans of larger clubs tend not to see where the pennies add or up and find it easier to argue the investment side

Twenty Eight 20-05-2019 13:35

There are three options by the looks of things.

As we are - status quo - and pray Coley unearths players for nowt that keep us at least mid table. Accept if we slip down at least we're solvent and as it seems the fans won't walk away.

Sell our prized players and try and generate a budget to give it a real go and invest in League One status players. Last year we sold but didn't invest in the playing staff.

Sell the ground and generate a budget etc as above and try and keep the best players.

I think we all know what the consensus is so in the words of Status Quo ....... whatever you want.

DAV007 20-05-2019 14:58

Andy Holt out !

cashman 20-05-2019 15:43

not funny dav.:(