Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accrington Stanley (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/)
-   -   Resurrect the fight for survival thread (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/resurrect-the-fight-for-survival-thread-71026.html)

Twenty Eight 10-03-2020 19:42

Resurrect the fight for survival thread

Going to be tighter than certain posters imagined.

Simpson 10-03-2020 20:59

Re: Resurrect the fight for survival thread

Just got tighter as you say. How many points is safe given there are 2 games less with Bury not counting.
Tranmere have some very winnable games coming up whereas I can’t see us picking up a point in our next 3 which drags us in to which we then play the likes of MK away etc.

KiTChener 10-03-2020 22:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simpson (Post 1238098)
I can’t see us picking up a point in our next three.

Keep the faith, we traditionally do better against the teams above us than those below! Don’t know why, maybe we are too complacent with those below... a motivational problem stemming from management??
Anyway, hoping for much better performances over remaining games!!

StanleyJosh 11-03-2020 06:04

Be tough with no McConville, Hughes, Sykes or Finley.

Twenty Eight 11-03-2020 06:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by StanleyJosh (Post 1238103)
Be tough with no McConville, Hughes, Sykes or Finley.

Or Rodgers.

andyd 11-03-2020 07:51

When you don't look like or can't score in a brothel the outcome is grim got to find the scoring boots soon.

Twenty Eight 11-03-2020 07:59

Andy,
Since pre season I've been going on about this.
We have lads up front who are having to learn "on the job" in a league many levels above whence they came.
That's tough to do.
It's my opinion and I accept not a popular one that in the January window there were enough experienced forwards that could have been brought in admittedly at a cost - but not substantial.
Instead of which we get Bobby Grant who really should be seen as a temporary replacement for Sean, but can't dislodge Pritchard.
Chances have been created - many chances - and all the forwards have fluffed their lines.
No point citing individual examples we've all seen them.
We will get away with it .... just.
However given Bury's demise, Bolton's points deduction, and Sarfend's horrible form (except against us) means we're papering over cracks.
Next season will be significantly tougher.

andyd 11-03-2020 08:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twenty Eight (Post 1238109)
Andy,
We have lads up front who are having to learn "on the job" in a league many levels above whence they came.
That's tough to do.
It's my opinion and I accept not a popular one that in the January window there were enough experienced forwards that could have been brought in admittedly at a cost - but not substantial.
Instead of which we get Bobby Grant who really should be seen as a temporary replacement for Sean, but can't dislodge Pritchard.
Chances have been created - many chances - and all the forwards have fluffed their lines.
However given Bury's demise, Bolton's points deduction, and Sarfend's horrible form (except against us) means we're papering over cracks.

Every season in league 1 will be tough budget wise even when all other costs are taken care of we just don't get support through the gate and it's slowly dropping again I agree money spent could have brought a decent striker in problem is we haven't got the money to wreck the wage structure but it might not matter as we could slip into league 2 hopefully not but it is going to be a bumby ride.

StanleyJosh 11-03-2020 08:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twenty Eight (Post 1238104)
Or Rodgers.

Johnson, Opoku, Alese, Maguire our back 4 for Saturday.

High chance none of those will be with us next season.

monkey hanger 11-03-2020 09:00

Quote:

Andy,
That's tough to do.

might actually for me the post of the season and sums everything up. with injuries kicking in for key players survival will be more than luck than management. if stanley did go down with the present standard of player then i do think next season would be a long old season and could be similar to the ones yeovil and chesterfield had not that long ago. its worrying times i,m afraid.

cashman 11-03-2020 09:18

well i aint worried, never been a panicker.:rolleyes:

Twenty Eight 11-03-2020 09:28

Worrying and panicking are two different things mate.
Maybe concerned is a better word but I don't think anyone is panicking.
It's plain as the nose on yer face what our problem is, has been, and potentially always will be.
That's life.

Twenty Eight 11-03-2020 09:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by StanleyJosh (Post 1238112)
Johnson, Opoku, Alese, Maguire our back 4 for Saturday.

High chance none of those will be with us next season.

Midfield
Pritchard Conneely Diallo Clark

High chance as well Josh ?

andyd 11-03-2020 10:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twenty Eight (Post 1238124)
Midfield

If it happens it will be a natural clear out players at end of contracts players wanting away that's not a concern happens at every club, it's what happens next depending on what level we are at that needs addressing in a way that's best for the club not individuals.

StanleyJosh 11-03-2020 10:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twenty Eight (Post 1238124)
Midfield

Hopefully 2 of those will be staying.
Diallo not impressed me.
Clark has done his dues and given us his all so no complaints at him pushing himself to play at a higher level.

monkey hanger 11-03-2020 11:05

[QUOTE=Twenty Eight;
It's plain as the nose on yer face what our problem is, has been, and potentially always will be.
That's life.[/QUOTE]

apart from lack of home fans is there any other problems we have.

KiTChener 11-03-2020 20:57

Quote:

in the January window there were enough experienced forwards that could have been brought in admittedly at a cost - .

Don’t forget that, in January, we were paying two ‘no shows’ thick end of £4K a week, maybe that had a great impact on Coley’s budget, when it came to looking at potential signings?

Simpson 11-03-2020 21:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkey hanger (Post 1238114)
might actually for me the post of the season and sums everything up. with injuries kicking in for key players survival will be more than luck than management. if stanley did go down with the present standard of player then i do think next season would be a long old season and could be similar to the ones yeovil and chesterfield had not that long ago. its worrying times i,m afraid.

Struggling to understand why this would be post of the season - it’s no different to the other dozen 28 has probably said since the initial transfer window closed.

Only now does it register for many of us. Too many punts on players with no league experience and then the likes of Grant is just a repeat of the “old boys” favour , similar to the one given to the lad that couldn’t run and joined Barton at Fleetwood last year .

andyd 12-03-2020 07:00

9 games left and we are on a bad run were as Tranmere are on a winning run, this is were experience counts Grant,s getting a lot of stick on here but as soon as he came on against Tranmere he launched a beauty of a pass into the box causing the own goal quick thinking and experience can cover a lack of movement in his older legs, Charles and Bishops lack of league experience showed against Tranmere constantly making it easy for defenders by being slow in their thinking on the ball, this isn't criticism of them they have done well but it's inexperience at this level and it shows.

monkey hanger 12-03-2020 08:51

[QUOTE=andyd;1238163] this is were experience counts Grant,s getting a lot of stick on here but as soon as he came on against Tranmere he launched a beauty of a pass into the box causing the own goal quick thinking and experience can cover a lack of movement in his older legs,

there are numerous players like him that have been around since the game was first played. think every side benefits from 1 player like that in the side. however players like him get the lazy tag put on them because they are not running around like headless chickens and good passes are more luck than management. same with akinfenwa and jon parkin type of centre forward. funny how much stick they get at the wham yet somehow always manage to cause havoc in our defence and score. mind you we still have zanzala so all cannot be that bad.

StanleyJosh 12-03-2020 09:09

[QUOTE=monkey hanger;1238170]
Quote:

Originally Posted by andyd (Post 1238163)
this is were experience counts Grant,s getting a lot of stick on here but as soon as he came on against Tranmere he launched a beauty of a pass into the box causing the own goal quick thinking and experience can cover a lack of movement in his older legs,

there are numerous players like him that have been around since the game was first played. think every side benefits from 1 player like that in the side. however players like him get the lazy tag put on them because they are not running around like headless chickens and good passes are more luck than management. same with akinfenwa and jon parkin type of centre forward. funny how much stick they get at the wham yet somehow always manage to cause havoc in our defence and score. mind you we still have zanzala so all cannot be that bad.

Experience off the pitch with the lads as well as on it.
Surprised at the comments towards Bobby, couple of appearances that I feel he has done well with in all, made an impact, scored a good goal......
Phil Edwards however....

Twenty Eight 12-03-2020 10:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by KiTChener (Post 1238154)
Don’t forget that, in January, we were paying two ‘no shows’ thick end of £4K a week, maybe that had a great impact on Coley’s budget, when it came to looking at potential signings?

We made signings in January. The lad from Wolves was in great demand from other cubs.
That means that there was a budget available.

Twenty Eight 12-03-2020 10:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twenty Eight (Post 1238173)
We made signings in January. The lad from Wolves was in great demand from other cubs.
That means that there was a budget available.

Cubs ? Wolves ? Sort your life out 28. CLUBS.

monkey hanger 12-03-2020 10:37

[QUOTE=Twenty Eight;1238173 The lad from Wolves was in great demand from other cubs.

thats the usual football speak though. might be correct, but when was the last time a signing hasn,t been made where the words of beating plenty of others off to sign a player has not been used. goes with the ones with potential or for the future.

Simpson 12-03-2020 11:25

Re my earlier post, there’s no particular pop at Grant, he’s entitled to take the opportunity if offered. What I’m trying to say is that our scouting could be much better, it has to be wider than scousers, Southport connection or older players who once played......

When they don’t fall within the above such as this seasons recruitment, they just seem to be no better bets than bets at Cheltenham or trying to catch a “falling knife” with the current stock market.
No doubt many can point to successes of the past and prove me wrong which is fine, but many of those will be in league 2 where you have a better chance of “winging it”.

League 1 finds you out. If we are to stay in league one and certainly next year when 4 teams go down then something needs to change.

As for “old heads” and dressing room etc, I don’t buy that at all, we have Seamus, Hughes and even Sean can play a part whilst injured. According to stats on One website I often refer to, Mangen made 3 league appearances and a total of 9 mins last year. That’s not good use of our money.

StanleyJosh 12-03-2020 12:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simpson (Post 1238178)
What I’m trying to say is that our scouting could be much better, it has to be wider than scousers, Southport connection or older players who once played......

Not many League 1 managers have to do the scouting as much as Coley.
The same scouting that has convinced the following to join....

Windass, Crooks, Pearson, Jackson, Janoi, Clicker, Ross Sykes....

Don't think they've done too bad considering.

Dav1d 12-03-2020 14:50

Andy holt has been sent this letter

https://twitter.com/andyhholt/status...852431872?s=21

pifco 12-03-2020 15:32

I am not surprised that Block C is starting to get on Mr. Holt's nerves I think that that is one of the most negative letters that I've ever read, the only positive is that Clicker is worth his weight in gold. At least on here where many of us have a moan there is usually some attempt suggesting an answer to the moans but obviously not with Block C oops! sorry I forgot all problems will be solved if beer is stopped being sold at £1 per pint.
I know many of us feel down at the moment but I don't think moaning at Mr. Holt is going to improve match results - what I do think is that without Mr. Holt it is quiet possible there would be no team to moan about.

Exile on Spencer St 12-03-2020 15:39

With current shortage of toilet rolls that letter, unlike a tweet, may at least come in handy.:rolleyes:

Twenty Eight 12-03-2020 16:02

He's not worth his weight in gold anymore. He's worth nothing because we will get nothing. Having said that he's performed admirably throughout his career with the club and I know right up until the last kick of the season he will be giving 100%.

AccyMad 12-03-2020 16:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twenty Eight (Post 1238186)
He's not worth his weight in gold anymore. He's worth nothing because we will get nothing. Having said that he's performed admirably throughout his career with the club and I know right up until the last kick of the season he will be giving 100%.

Do you sit in Block C by any chance 28? :D

Simpson 12-03-2020 16:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by StanleyJosh (Post 1238181)
Not many League 1 managers have to do the scouting as much as Coley.
The same scouting that has convinced the following to join....

Windass, Crooks, Pearson, Jackson, Janoi, Clicker, Ross Sykes....

Don't think they've done too bad considering.

Enjoying the debate, but from my biased stance, are you not proving my point, apart from Ross (who still has a lot to learn) everyone of those you list was whilst in L2. I’m talking about being better when recruiting for league 1,

I can’t think of any that raise the standard above what we brought into this league and none have equalled in quality those we have lost in the last 2 seasons.

As for Jordan, scandalous that he is going on a free. Not as if the timeline of his contract and Bosman is a secret. Appreciate he will give 100%, but he also needs to look after his own interests and not get injured when moving on. Can’t have been fun as a senior player watching what we’ve brought in IMO.

StanleyJosh 12-03-2020 17:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simpson (Post 1238191)
Enjoying the debate, but from my biased stance, are you not proving my point, apart from Ross (who still has a lot to learn) everyone of those you list was whilst in L2. I’m talking about being better when recruiting for league 1,

I can’t think of any that raise the standard above what we brought into this league and none have equalled in quality those we have lost in the last 2 seasons.

As for Jordan, scandalous that he is going on a free. Not as if the timeline of his contract and Bosman is a secret. Appreciate he will give 100%, but he also needs to look after his own interests and not get injured when moving on. Can’t have been fun as a senior player watching what we’ve brought in IMO.

And all those players have/will play at a higher level.
Nothing stopping the lads we have signed also coming good. I’d say the lads from Non League have played better than those with higher level academy experience etc. I’d take colby and Dion over ozzy and benny any day of the week.

I’d say better at recruiting is beating championship clubs for a Premier League striker.
I’d say better at recruiting for signing a player who would be £800 a month better off in National League.
I’d say better off recruiting for signing Pritchard, who had a very, very tough decision at his age and his point of career where to go, especially with the Bolton fiasco.

I wouldn’t say it’s scandalous Clicker is leaving on a free.
He won’t sign a new contract. Completely different scenario to Crooks/Windass.
We transfer listed him in the summer.
No clubs came in for him for the price we wanted.
No clubs in Jan want to start a bidding war and let other teams know of interest, they’d rather convince him when free agent with wages facilities etc than pay over the odds for an extra 6 months.
Losing him for 50k in Jan, is it really worth it for that amount? No, him keeping us up would be worth much more than that.

cashman 12-03-2020 18:23

Stanley Josh is right! How is it scandulous if Clarky leaves on a free? considering no one came in for him when he was listed? thats the only way it can go now, myself i'm glad no-one did. rather have the lad until season end.

choirboy 12-03-2020 19:29

Blockhead C is simply wrong!:mad: True Stanley supporters have faith in Andy, John and Jimmy. They have all worked miracles in order to get Stanley where we are now! ........ in League One and in good financial order. I have even given in and registered on Twitter to express my support to Andy!
ON STANLEY ON:wave8:
KEEP THE FAITH
:theband:

Twenty Eight 12-03-2020 19:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccyMad (Post 1238190)
Do you sit in Block C by any chance 28? :D

Bit of a strange question but the truth is I don't know !
In the main I sit near to the dressing rooms and have made some good acquaintances over the years.
Also sat a few times over the other side.
Never stood up !
As an alien fan from the better side of the Pennines what this Block C nonsense ?

Twenty Eight 12-03-2020 19:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1238196)
Stanley Josh is right! How is it scandulous if Clarky leaves on a free? considering no one came in for him when he was listed? thats the only way it can go now, myself i'm glad no-one did. rather have the lad until season end.

There was loads of interest just not at the fee being demanded.
Im really pleased to see the positive comments from real fans about Jordan.
He will be on it until the last kick of the last match. He doesn't know any different.

Simpson 12-03-2020 19:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1238196)

Very happy to disagree on most points and leave it there.

Twenty Eight 12-03-2020 20:03

I get where Simpson is coming from .... I think.
Maybe he's referring to the fact his contract has been allowed to run down without an offer on the table to persuade him otherwise.
Back to the repetitive subject. Budget.

Twenty Eight 12-03-2020 20:09

[QUOTE=monkey hanger;1238175][QUOTE=Twenty Eight;1238173 The lad from Wolves was in great demand from other cubs.

thats the usual football speak though. might be correct, but when was the last time a signing hasn,t been made where the words of beating plenty of others off to sign a player has not been used. goes with the ones with potential or for the future.[/QUOTE]

It was common knowledge the interest in him. Thats why it took so long to get the deal over the line.

Simpson 12-03-2020 20:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twenty Eight (Post 1238206)
I get where Simpson is coming from .... I think.
Maybe he's referring to the fact his contract has been allowed to run down without an offer on the table to persuade him otherwise.
Back to the repetitive subject. Budget.

......and the penny finally drops, thank you and apologies for not being crystal !

andyd 13-03-2020 07:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twenty Eight (Post 1238204)
There was loads of interest just not at the fee being demanded.
Im really pleased to see the positive comments from real fans about Jordan.
He will be on it until the last kick of the last match. He doesn't know any different.

He might well have had his last kick for Stanley only a matter of time now before season is suspended may never be restarted.

VALAIRIAN 13-03-2020 09:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyd (Post 1238216)
He might well have had his last kick for Stanley only a matter of time now before season is suspended may never be restarted.

But, at least when it does, there will still be a Stanley ;)

:) :) :)

andyd 13-03-2020 11:03

I'd say we are in league 1 until further notice as nobody can predict when this season will end and the next begin uncharted territory.

StanleyJosh 13-03-2020 11:17

Players being out of contract is a concern if season is extended.

Mr T 13-03-2020 11:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by StanleyJosh (Post 1238231)
Players being out of contract is a concern if season is extended.

Contracts run until June 30th; 7 weeks after the season is "due" to end

Billy Casper 15-03-2020 10:13

Asking for a friend

If and when we lose Clarke and Conneely at the end of the season,
will we also loose Twenty Eight ?

andyd 15-03-2020 10:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy Casper (Post 1238283)
Asking for a friend

Very high probability.

accybeme 15-03-2020 13:06

a very angry fan in block C.
I can understand his frustration at our teams performance on Saturday
I have been trying to decipher his letter and below is the best I can do
Dear Mr Holt
having been subjected to the pain of watching Saturdays game we can fully understand why you would like to suspend the season. it might give the club time to get a decent team together, where shall we start ! !
why on earth did Mr Coleman choose a team with 4 full backs on the back line when he had 2 decent centre backs on the bench. with few exceptions the team had very poor base control throughout the game. this may have something to do with the training facilities ( if any ) . we suggest you approach Burnley FC and ask if you can use theirs at Grawthorpe.
you would have to pay of course but if you stop giving money away (£1 a pint you could afford it. Mr Rogers needs to practice passing the ball. he was very ---- of himself on Saturday Mr Opoku needs to stop pushing opponents in the back and giving away free kicks. Mr Bishop is too soft. he needs to learn how to read the game and place himself in the right places from which to launch an attack. there is no threat down the middle unlike the days when Mr Jackson played
don't feel fed up we are trying to help. Mr Conealy should be dropped for a while if not for good, he is too weak we suspect he is a " nice bloke " but he is not running things as a captain should and his ball skills are questionable. you are missing Mr McConville and just now Mr Prichard does not fill the boots. all this and more should be seen by Mr Coleman
and co. just as we see it and he doesn't then perhaps you need a new Mr Coleman. just now you are wasting your money on a team that has little hope of gaining any mate than 4 or 5 points in the coming matches. and by the way, Mr Clark is worth his weight in gold. we bet you will lose him soon. yours dispirited Block C

Twenty Eight 15-03-2020 16:33

Quote:

Asking for a friend

Tell me who your friend is who seems not to have the courage to ask direct and I will respond by PM.

Twenty Eight 15-03-2020 16:35

I will morph into Somerset under an assumed Name.
Clark is nailed on Seamus less so ........ but hey someone’s got to be the numb skulls fall guy.

StanleyJosh 15-03-2020 17:29

Quote:

Asking for a friend

Can we please all learn how to spell our own players names.

Twenty Eight 15-03-2020 17:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by StanleyJosh (Post 1238295)
Can we please all learn how to spell our own players names.

And how to spell lose .......

Inspector Morse 16-03-2020 10:04

'Can we please all learn how to spell our own players names.'

And use an apostrophe if required.

Twenty Eight 16-03-2020 10:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Morse (Post 1238298)

Strictly being grammatically correct should there have been a question mark at the end as well ? Hahaha ....... self isolation is getting to me.

StanleyJosh 16-03-2020 11:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Morse (Post 1238298)

Don't think it needs one, does it?

Inspector Morse 16-03-2020 12:38

Players' - plural more than one player, possessive i.e. name belongs to player.

Lemur 16-03-2020 18:03

“Barrow is more than a football club. It’s identity, it’s pride, it’s a sense of purpose.”

Ian Evatt
Barow AFC Manager

talking of spelling

Exile on Spencer St 16-03-2020 18:13

Doesn’t seem to be much wrong with the “quote”. Presume “it’s” a contraction of “it is”.
But as for Barow!