Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accrington Stanley (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/)
-   -   Harry Pell. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/harry-pell-71998.html)

andyd 09-09-2021 15:41

Harry Pell.

After watching him play and the fact he's been brought in on a three year contract, supposedly very popular in the dressing room, very vocal on the pitch and prepared to take a card for the team no disrespect to our club Captain Seamus does anyone on here think he,a future captain as he was at his last club?

monkey hanger 10-09-2021 08:05

Re: Harry Pell.

needs to stop getting all these cautions for me. spoils him for me.

VALAIRIAN 10-09-2021 13:27

He has Captain written all over him - born winner!!

:) :) :)

Exile on Spencer St 10-09-2021 15:38

Thought that back in early August before we saw him in a Stanley shirt (#109 in New Signings).
But sometimes it’s better to have a ‘shouter’ and a ‘driver’ who’s not also the captain.

Twenty Eight 14-09-2021 09:12

All about opinions I guess but talking a player out of a job who's injured at the moment is a bit disingenuous.
Being Captain isn't just about being gobby and getting yellows - being Club Captain is a more involved role.

Inspector Morse 14-09-2021 09:44

Twenty Eight is spot on. Christmas Do's don't organise themselves.

ONLY JOKING- WE ALL LOVE SEAMUS.

pifco 14-09-2021 12:49

I wouldn't think that it was a good idea to have a captain who likely to miss several matches per season due to being suspended.

andyd 14-09-2021 15:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twenty Eight (Post 1257626)
All about opinions I guess but talking a player out of a job who's injured at the moment is a bit disingenuous.
Being Captain isn't just about being gobby and getting yellows - being Club Captain is a more involved role.

I started this thread on the basis of a future captain if you care to read it correctly, I wasn't pretending to know nothing about the role and even said no disrespect to Seamus who has and still is a great captain, but being a forum isn't a place for touchy feelings sorry if I hurt yours.

Twenty Eight 14-09-2021 17:20

My feelings hurt ?
I dont think so.
One thing I have learnt though is that anyone who says no disrespect intended …..

monkey hanger 15-09-2021 07:40

seamus is not going to be around for ever. someone will have to take over from him eventually. not sure it should be harry pell who will be talking to refs more giving em new excuses to give him a caution. for me he,s a double yellow danger anyway without the captains responsibility on his shoulders.

Crown Grounder 15-09-2021 18:51

My impression so far is that he attracts too many yellow cards to be a captain...and also too many cards to be viewed as a good player.

cashman 15-09-2021 19:36

many players change with responsibilty i think.

ferret man 17-09-2021 18:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1257646)
many players change with responsibilty i think.

I agree look how Colby's game improved when made Captain.

VALAIRIAN 03-10-2021 15:05

Fast becoming one of my favorite players :)

Great interview yesterday, very honest - which I like :)

Really hope that yesterdays Harry Pell, is the one we see from here on ;)

cashman 03-10-2021 18:04

when seamus calls it a day i would give it Pell in a flash.

VALAIRIAN 03-10-2021 19:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1258289)
when seamus calls it a day i would give it Pell in a flash.

Be careful Cashy ;)

:)

VALAIRIAN 20-10-2021 13:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyd (Post 1257489)
After watching him play and the fact he's been brought in on a three year contract, supposedly very popular in the dressing room, very vocal on the pitch and prepared to take a card for the team no disrespect to our club Captain Seamus does anyone on here think he,a future captain as he was at his last club?

Captains performance last night against Charlton!!

Not just the goals, but everything he did!! :)

Exile on Spencer St 20-10-2021 16:25

And a good interview afterwards.

https://www.accringtonstanley.co.uk/...over-charlton/

cashman 20-10-2021 16:52

Definitely i think, though some dont like the fact he will take a card for the team.

andyd 20-10-2021 17:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1258668)
Definitely i think, though some dont like the fact he will take a card for the team.

Like I posted from the minute he arrived he has Captain, leader whatever you want to call it written all over him plays with his heart on his sleeve what he hasn't got in ability he has committment 100% running through his veins Charles should watch and learn brilliant last night long may it continue.

VALAIRIAN 20-10-2021 18:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyd (Post 1258671)
Like I posted from the minute he arrived he has Captain, leader whatever you want to call it written all over him plays with his heart on his sleeve what he hasn't got in ability he has committment 100% running through his veins Charles should watch and learn brilliant last night long may it continue.

Spot on post Andy :)

VALAIRIAN 20-10-2021 19:50

Harry Pell.

Just listened to Harry in his post match..... Fighter, Winner, Leader!!!!!

monkey hanger 21-10-2021 09:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1258668)

mind you not all his cards have been for that reason and some were avoidable. you know stanley players rarely get the benefit of the doubt when cards of both colours are flashed about.

Phil Whalley 21-10-2021 23:26

1 Attachment(s)
Very unlucky not to have had a hat-trick on Tues, the attached screenshot shows how close he was - not that the ref had positioned himself to see it. He looks like he can make a more positive contribution to the side up front, where he still causes the oppo all sorts of problems but is less in the firing line for yellow cards.

VALAIRIAN 24-11-2021 09:20

Am I being over critical, or has Harry's form dropped off?????
  • Is he not interested?
  • Is he out of form?
  • Was he never that good anyway?
  • Is he out of position??

I am a big fan of his, so these are genuine questions and not a negative, having a go post :)

StanleyJosh 24-11-2021 09:25

for what it's worth, I see it as;

Frustrated.
Yes.
Can be a good player.
Yes, but also don't see him as the box to box midfielder he used to be.

andyd 24-11-2021 09:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by VALAIRIAN (Post 1259998)
Am I being over critical, or has Harry's form dropped off?????
  • Is he not interested?
  • Is he out of form?
  • Was he never that good anyway?
  • Is he out of position??

I am a big fan of his, so these are genuine questions and not a negative, having a go post :

Playing in a team that his shot of confidence being asked to play out of position last night the gaffer admitted to using long ball tactics Pell rarely saw the ball , midfield of Conneely virtual all on his own being pressed into back pedaling or g.iving the ball away, Hamilton a onlooker from the wing back to basics for me experienced keeper needed has both young lads out of their depth never replaced the excellent Baxter who marshalled his defence in front of him.

Crown Grounder 24-11-2021 13:50

My view has always been that I'm not a big fan. I think he is good when things are going well and poor when they are not. He is not one you can rely on when the going gets tough. He is a luxury to have in the side in the same way that O'Sullivan is a luxury.

cashman 24-11-2021 13:54

Disagree, i think pell is a decent player yeh cant expect players at this level to do it every time imho. think o sullivan is a luxury.

Lord Stiffupperlip 24-11-2021 14:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crown Grounder (Post 1260031)
My view has always been that I'm not a big fan. I think he is good when things are going well and poor when they are not. He is not one you can rely on when the going gets tough. He is a luxury to have in the side in the same way that O'Sullivan is a luxury.

Some luxury! He's our leading goalscorer.
One of the few players who always puts a shift in, whatever the final score.

Crown Grounder 24-11-2021 16:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip (Post 1260034)
Some luxury! He's our leading goalscorer.
One of the few players who always puts a shift in, whatever the final score.

He's our leading goalscorer because without Dion, Joe and Matt we are currently a "basket case of the form tables" and will be relegated if we don't improve.

Its my opinion ....... " so Yah boo sucks!!!"

Lord Stiffupperlip 24-11-2021 19:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crown Grounder (Post 1260041)
He's our leading goalscorer because without Dion, Joe and Matt we are currently a "basket case of the form tables" and will be relegated if we don't improve.
Its my opinion ....... " so Yah boo sucks!!!"

Fair enough my friend you're entitled to your opinion, but you implied he's a luxury we could do without.
Let's compare his performance directly with those you name. The table is based purely on goals per appearance etc.
______________Goals__Assists___Played__Goals per 90___Mins per goal
1. Harry Pell...........5...........3...........19......... ...0.31................286
2.Matt Butcher........4...........1...........16......... ...0.26................344
3.J Mumbongo........2...........0...........11........ ....0.42................216
4. Dion Charles.......1...........0............8.......... ...0.14................647

So the facts are that not only has Harry scored 5 goals, he's assisted in 3 more, a total of 8.
His goals per 90 minutes played is better than Butcher's & double that of Charles (pro-rata)
Still think he's a luxury?

Crown Grounder 24-11-2021 19:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip (Post 1260049)
Fair enough my friend you're entitled to your opinion, but you implied he's a luxury we could do without.
Let's compare his performance directly with those you name. The table is based purely on goals per appearance etc.
______________Goals__Assists___Played__Goals per 90___Mins per goal
1. Harry Pell...........5...........3...........19......... ...0.31................286
2.Matt Butcher........4...........1...........16......... ...0.26................344
3.J Mumbongo........2...........0...........11........ ....0.42................216
4. Dion Charles.......1...........0............8.......... ...0.14................647

So the facts are that not only has Harry scored 5 goals, he's assisted in 3 more, a total of 8.
His goals per 90 minutes played is better than Butcher's & double that of Charles (pro-rata)
Still think he's a luxury?

In a word Yes.

Just my opinion.

monkey hanger 25-11-2021 09:26

everyone has different opinions on every player and its hard to say who is right or wrong. not just fans but managers, coaches and players themselves. for me harry pell is the last person i could call a luxury player but has his faults. if he hadn,t he would not be at stanley anyway.

Lord Stiffupperlip 25-11-2021 10:26

Well here's something for anyone who thinks Harry Pell is a luxury we could do without.
If you analyse the games he has scored in & omit his goals, the results would have been very different.
In fact we'd be 8 points worse off than we are now.
Yes, we'd be sitting 3rd from bottom with 13 points.
A luxury? I'd say he's been one of the best signings this season.

VALAIRIAN 25-11-2021 10:42

Your Lordship, are you, a) Harry Pell, b) his dad, or c) his agent :D

Before anybody kicks off, I am just larking around :)

For what it is worth, I think Pell is a great signing for us - I am sure I have posted this more than once - and is nothing like Boco ;)

But, something is not right, hence my earlier questions :)

Need Colby back - playing with either Joel, or Nigel upfront - as a 2, not deeper, false, or whatever nonsense is spoken about these days :)

Harry back in midfield, running rampage and Lewis using all the skills and ability he has to create danger - just my thoughts and opinions :)

Watchdog 25-11-2021 11:41

Don't think Harry has been at his best for the last two games but, who's to say he isn't carrying a knock/injury. I think he is a good signing at our level and someone who will always give us 110%

Lord Stiffupperlip 25-11-2021 16:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by VALAIRIAN (Post 1260072)
Your Lordship, are you, a) Harry Pell, b) his dad, or c) his agent :D

In answer to your question my friend, a) If only! b) It's just a rumour. c) I wish! :D
Joking aside, just trying to defend a player who I feel is an asset to the team from some frankly ludicrous criticism.
Fully agree he's not been at his best recently but then, name me anyone else in the team who has?
I would like to offer a reason for this. Earlier this season, when he was scoring for fun, he was playing alongside Butcher & Pritchard.
Since the demise of 2 of our 3 midfield dynamos, he's fighting battles without support whilst also being asked to lead the line.
It's a bit like a car trying to run with 2 missing sparkplugs.
I'm certain that when Butcher & Pritchard return, our midfield will return to firing on all cylinders.
Then we'll really start motoring up the league.

Crown Grounder 25-11-2021 19:44

[QUOTE=Lord Stiffupperlip;1260091]In answer to your question my friend, a) If only! b) It's just a rumour. c) I wish! :D
Joking aside, just trying to defend a player who I feel is an asset to the team from some frankly ludicrous criticism.

For your information pal........the thread asked for opinions on Harry Pell and I have quite rightly given mine. Don't you dare call me or my opinions ludicrous. By making things personal you demean your own opinion and arguments.

Respect others opinions....especially if you want them to respect yours.

Lord Stiffupperlip 25-11-2021 21:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crown Grounder (Post 1260031)

Above is your original opinion on Harry Pell.
If, 'I think he is good when things are going well and poor when they are not', is not ludicrous I don't now what is?
By definition, everyone is good when things go well & conversely, poor when they don't.
All I have attempted to do is counter your claim that Harry Pell 'Is a luxury'.
It's you who has decided to take it personally, but if you feel that calling another opinion 'ludicrous' is an insult then I apologise, for there was none intended.
For every opinion on this forum there is an opposite one & some of the responses posted can verge on slander at times & far worse than simply calling another post ludicrous.

monkey hanger 26-11-2021 08:05

[QUOTE=Lord Stiffupperlip;1260097]Above is your original opinion on Harry Pell.
If, 'I think he is good when things are going well and poor when they are not', is not ludicrous I don't now what is?
By definition, everyone is good when things go well & conversely, poor when they don't.

you can say the same about a lot of stanley players and those at other clubs as well. there never seems to be any half measures with stanley this season. its very good or very poor. quicker we get a few of the former the better it will be.

Crown Grounder 26-11-2021 08:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip (Post 1260097)
Above is your original opinion on Harry Pell.
All I have attempted to do is counter your claim that Harry Pell 'Is a luxury'.
It's you who has decided to take it personally, but if you feel that calling another opinion 'ludicrous' is an insult then I apologise, for there was none intended.
For every opinion on this forum there is an opposite one & some of the responses posted can verge on slander at times & far worse than simply calling another post ludicrous.

You just can't stop attacking me and my opinions can you. I have decided to withdraw from posting on this forum.

VALAIRIAN 26-11-2021 08:45

Gents, all please :)

I posted up with all good intentions and never wanted - nor expected this (I feel guilty that I did now!!)

We are all Stanley fans together :)

I will ask Mark to close this thread!!

cashman 26-11-2021 10:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crown Grounder (Post 1260113)
You just can't stop attacking me and my opinions can you. I have decided to withdraw from posting on this forum.

hes not attacking you at all sorry if you cannot see that,

Chimer 26-11-2021 10:40

Oh, memories - it's like being back in the playground at junior school :(:eek:

Lord Stiffupperlip 26-11-2021 13:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crown Grounder (Post 1260113)

It saddens me to read your post.
You have mistakenly taken a difference of opinion into a personal attack.
I have already offered an apology if you felt my use of the word 'ludicrous' was somehow directed at you personally, which was never the case.
I feel strongly that some of the criticism aimed at Pell ( not always yours) is both unfair & illogical & was only attempting to put a reasonable case in his defence.
If I had used the term 'daft' or 'illogical' instead about other posts, rather than 'ludicrous', would it still be considered insulting?
I've received some right maulings on here from others who disagree with me, you've just got to accept it & take it on the chin.
I hope you will reconsider your threat to withdraw from the forum as you are a valued & longstanding member.
Let's not fall out over a word.

MikeA 26-11-2021 14:13

Harry Pell's nominated for League 1 Goal of the Month for October!
https://www.skysports.com/watch/vide...2472694/l1-oct

cashman 26-11-2021 15:21

not a shock it was a cracker imho.

Exile on Spencer St 26-11-2021 16:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeA (Post 1260127)
Harry Pell's nominated for League 1 Goal of the Month for October!
https://www.skysports.com/watch/vide...2472694/l1-oct

Now that was luxury! :)

AccyMad 27-11-2021 20:36

Does anyone know what the injury was that meant Harry had to be subbed late on?

andyd 27-11-2021 21:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccyMad (Post 1260242)
Does anyone know what the injury was that meant Harry had to be subbed late on?

Commentary mentioned cramp.

Crown Grounder 28-11-2021 09:43

Let's hope it was just cramp that forced Harry off yesterday. My view from following the game at home was that he had another good game and could have scored at least two. One shot from within the box and a header......both blocked......the extended highlights also showed his good link-up play in and around Lincoln's box.

AccyMad 28-11-2021 09:56

Thanks guys, fingers crossed it was just cramp - last thing we need is any more injuries

Twenty Eight 28-11-2021 11:43

Timewastingitus me thinks ............

cashman 28-11-2021 12:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twenty Eight (Post 1260260)
Timewastingitus me thinks ............

Hope yer right,thats even better than cramp.:D

monkey hanger 29-11-2021 09:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccyMad (Post 1260252)
Thanks guys, fingers crossed it was just cramp - last thing we need is any more injuries

Hope he gets a rest in the oh my papa game tomorrow night anyway. he,s needed on saturday for something far more important.

VALAIRIAN 24-08-2022 14:07

WOW, do not get it............

Signed him very early in the close season and on a long deal?!?!?!

Waste of a talent at Wimbledon :(

https://www.accringtonstanley.co.uk/...afc-wimbledon/

Exile on Spencer St 25-08-2022 07:19

Am ambivalent about Pell’s departure. Liked him when he played, but his impact seemed to wane as appearances increased. He always gave his best but, on balance, I don’t think his absence from the squad will be significant.
He had a bad injury very late last season so just hope he’s recovered and enjoys his time with the Wombles.

andyd 25-08-2022 08:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St (Post 1268248)
Am ambivalent about Pell’s departure. Liked him when he played, but his impact seemed to wane as appearances increased. He always gave his best but, on balance, I don’t think his absence from the squad will be significant.
He had a bad injury very late last season so just hope he’s recovered and enjoys his time with the Wombles.

At the end of the day it seems both parties wanted the move he goes nearer home we take a higher earner off the wage bill and make some profit on him as we got him for free. Was pleased when we signed him and he played a part but underneath didn't think he cut it at league 1 we move on hopefully room in the squad for a left back and a striker, wouldn't surprise me if more were to leave also.

Twenty Eight 25-08-2022 10:15

It's interesting to read a thread back at times.
Has everyone kissed and made up hahaha ?