Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2020, 12:48   #1

A Football Special Mystery

20190718_083435a (2).jpg
Now & then life throws up a morsel that arouses our curiosity, an intrigue that simply cannot be ignored.
So it proved when a friend handed me a copy of 'Steam World', a publication of interest to all boys of the Hornby Dublo generation.
Thumbing casually through the pages of vintage photos, I came across one of particular fascination.
I ask you to consider the poignant image attached. A gentleman imbibing refreshment at the bar of a railway dining car attended by smiling white-coated staff.
Was this from the golden days of the 'Flying Scotsman'? Or perhaps the 'Cornish Riviera Express'? No dear friends, for the photo caption reads -'Enjoying a Guinness on a football special to Accrington on November 15th 1958'. What???
This had all the ingredients of an Agatha Christie 'whodunnit'. A mystery involving trains, football & history - 3 of my favourite subjects.
After polishing my pince-nez & waxing my non-existent Hercule Poirot moustache, I determined to crack the case without delay.
Forensic analysis confirmed the date in question proved to be the 1st round proper of the 1958 FA Cup.
Who were these fans steaming toward Peel Park in the comfort of their own train, Manchester Utd, Arsenal or maybe Tottenham Hotspur?
No! Our opponents on the day were Workington Town.
Mais oui mon ami! Lowly Workington of the 4th Division apparently warranted their own football special - complete with buffet car?
Having fired off an email to aforesaid magazine requesting permission to publish this gem for your delectation, I continued my investigation to discover the facts.
On the day in question, both teams changed strips as each wore red. Our 'Reds' played in white, while Towns 'Reds' pretended to be Newcastle Utd.
Alas, it did our visitors no favours, as a ruthless Real Madrid Stanley murdered the fake Magpies 5-1.
After Workington's demise, Stanley went on to achieve the status of FA Cup serial killers, dispatching Buxton 6-1 in the 2nd round & disposing of Darlington 3-0 in the 3rd.
Then, like little Jack Horner, they stuck their thumb into the FA Cup pie & pulled out a plum - First Division Portsmouth at home in the 4th round - are you paying attention me old 'Chimer'
12,352 fans filled Peel Park to witness Stanley thrash Pompey 0-0.
Accrington Observer's ace sports reporter Saracen opined; 'Classy Stanley give First Division opponents a lesson in football skill & manners'.
Apparently, Pompey's 'rugged tackling did not please', which I feel is a Gentleman's euphemism for 'they tried to kick us off the park!'
Before the replay, the 5th round draw took place - 'Burnley v Accrington Stanley'; the club must have thought they'd hit the jackpot.
Four days later Stanley travelled south with dreams of a 5th round date with our high-flying 1st division neighbours. Alas, destiny had other ideas - Pompey won the replay 4-1.
Oh cruel fate! Did Stanley travel back in their own football special? Drowning their sorrows in a rebuilt Gresley cafeteria car? 'Superb vehicles', according to Mr. Ken Roberts.
Perhaps not! For like every murder mystery worth its salt, there proved to be a final dramatic twist in the tale.
The kind people at 'Steam World' had checked with the author and no! It wasn't a football special from Workington but a Blackburn Rovers special to West Bromwich Albion.
Apparently, the only connection was that the locomotive for this train was supplied from the Accrington shed. The photo caption proved to be a red herring.
The 'football special to Accrington' wasn't arriving from Workington, but returning to Accrington from West Brom.
I hope you've enjoyed this journey into a distant black & white past.
Days long gone, when teams played with both 'skill & manners' & bad sports were considered absolute bounders.
Surely Monsieur Poirot would conclude; 'Ahhh!. Ce sont les jours mon ami. Sur Stanley sur!'

Image by kind permission of Steam World. All copyrights acknowledged
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-09-2020, 13:04   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: A Football Special Mystery

Was it 1958? i went to the PORTSMOUTH game in the cup and followed the pompey fans right up Burnley Rd they were singing all the way, it said in the paper aftterwards there was 10.000 pompey fans that day. i lived on bottom block of burnley rd back then was only 4or 5 houses on it oppsite Alan E Dents electricians cant remember anything at all about the game was only 10 back then plus memorys well knackered now
mab and Lord Stiffupperlip like this.
Old 04-09-2020, 13:14   #3

Hercule, your Lordship, what a fascinating piece of detective work. Already exiled down south I bunked off school to attend the Portsmouth replay. Not surprised by the report of unpleasing rugged tackling 'cos by the time I got on the ground 20 mins had been played, Mcinnes the keeper was limping badly on the right wing rather than be our 2nd player to go off injured (no subs back yon) and we were 4 - 0 down. No red cards back then either - expect the ref just warned " I say old chap, steady on".
cashman, pifco, choirboy and 1 others like this.
LongLostSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 07:07   #4
God Member

[QUOTE=Lon No red cards back then either - expect the ref just warned " I say old chap, steady on".[/QUOTE]

no red cards but it wasn,t for the lack of trying by loads of players back then. short of murdering your opponent you stayed on the pitch. would be interesting to play a few games with the 1958 laws of the game application. could see the pitch being full of dummies that were spit out.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 07:12   #5
God Member

gresley cafeteria cars. thats a great memory. along with gresley carriages a thing of beauty. always used to drag my parents into the latter when ever possible. some still had LNER mirrors in carriages even in the early 60,s.
Old 05-09-2020, 10:08   #6
Senior Member+

Great story Your Lordship! Better than watching TV!
Lord Stiffupperlip likes this.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 16:41   #7
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Your detectiveshipness, is without doubt to be commended my good man, but don't start stepping on the slippery slope of being a mincing little Belgique!
Lord Stiffupperlip likes this.
Old 06-09-2020, 09:37   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Your detectiveshipness, is without doubt to be commended my good man, but don't start stepping on the slippery slope of being a mincing little Belgique!
Dieu pardonne mon ami.
A footnote for those aggrieved by the rotters from Portsmouth who 'press-ganged' Stanley out of the 58/9 FA Cup.
They were dispatched in the next round by our neighbours Burnley & ended up relegated from L1 in bottom place.
Serves the bounders right!
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 18:26   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
gresley cafeteria cars. thats a great memory. along with gresley carriages a thing of beauty.
But hardly likely on a Midland Region special from Blackburn...
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:59   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
But hardly likely on a Midland Region special from Blackburn...
someone has to spoil the dream by mentioning the boring midland region.
MikeA likes this.
Old 07-09-2020, 10:06   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
gresley cafeteria cars. thats a great memory. along with gresley carriages a thing of beauty. always used to drag my parents into the latter when ever possible. some still had LNER mirrors in carriages even in the early 60,s.
There was a question on The Chase a couple of days ago asking what form of transport was Gresley known for a) trains b) aeroplanes c) cars

I only knew the answer cos of your post
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:11   #12
Senior Member+

Good job it wasn't Stanier then!
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 13:12   #13

Or Oliver Bulleid, initially Gresley's assistant and later Chief Engineer of the Southern Railway who was educated at Accy Grammar.
Lost in Cornwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 16:27   #14

Thankyou My Lord.........what a story!
Crown Grounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 07:58   #15
God Member

[QUOTE=AccyMad;1244261]There was a question on The Chase a couple of days ago asking what form of transport was Gresley known for a) trains b) aeroplanes c) cars

did they answer the question correctly or was the answer that it was before i was born.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..