Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-04-2017, 18:07   #16

Re: A New Fan

It was called the "Futuro House" and was parked there from 1971 onwards apparently.

Anyone else looking for trivia from the Lanc/Yorks border then I'm yer man.
DaveinGermany likes this.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-04-2017, 18:30   #17
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
Great! I am of sane mind. God bless t'internet.

That musta been were the aliens were based, handy to nip oer Burnley and steal the Dingles brains.
Old 19-04-2017, 19:05   #18
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
handy to nip oer Burnley and steal the Dingles brains.
Brains & Dingles in the same sentence, now there's a novelty!
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 19-04-2017, 21:52   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
Great! I am of sane mind. God bless t'internet.

That was what the Boundary Commission arrived in before they moved Yorkshire westwards.
Revived Red and monkey hanger like this.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2017, 22:07   #20
Senior Member+

By now Tod you may be thinking to yourself..' this is not a Football forum !'...What with an offer of support from the best window-cleaner ever, Spacecraft parked in Todmorden and, our self-appointed Fan's Representative offering you his personal services !.
However it is !.... and having read many other fan boards at other Clubs, it really is the finest Forum you'll find in a long days March.....

And from me as well, welcome to our midst !... You’ll have fun !
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 07:37   #21
Senior Member+

The Futuro house was built at Waterside plastics Todmorden. Originally Waterside cotton mill.
Morrisons supermarket stands there now since the mill was demolished.
They had one of the plastic houses on display in front of the Abraham Ormerod health centre about 1971 or 72.
I was born and bred in Tod 88 years ago and seen a lot of changes.

In the picture above the house is parked opposite the old firestation on Rochdale road Todmorden.

Last edited by Gremlin; 20-04-2017 at 07:46.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 07:43   #22
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Thats what i was led to believe also.
The river which formed the border did indeed run through the town centre and right under Todmorden town hall. The Walsden water and river Calder which formed the boundary line met behind the market.
In 1888 the border was changed and follows the town boundary line making Todmorden wholly Yorkshire.
Old 20-04-2017, 09:13   #23
God Member

pop over to tod quite regularly on a thursday to look round the antique/flea market. found some good bargains there unlike the old picture house antique centre. much better half day out than that bastion of hippysville hebden(rip off) bridge.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 09:19   #24
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
pop over to tod quite regularly on a thursday to look round the antique/flea market. found some good bargains there unlike the old picture house antique centre. much better half day out than that bastion of hippysville hebden(rip off) bridge.
Pity I've to pop over to Accrington today or we could have met for a brew in the market cafe.
Old 20-04-2017, 20:55   #25
Senior Member+

Agreed Tod has a great market ! Would recommend the Saturday one.

As for the border, there's a sign directly under the rail bridge in the middle of town indicating said Lancs/ Yorks border. Maybe it has moved from there?
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 21:20   #26
Senior Member+

The sign under the arch is still there but since 1888 the border has followed the town boundary. Maybe the sign is an historic relic.
Which ever way you enter Todmorden from Lancashire you will see the Yorkshire sign along side the Todmorden sign.
Crazy thing is the Cricket team is in the Lancashire league.
Post code is Oldham.
smudgie likes this.
Old 21-04-2017, 07:49   #27
God Member

postcodes and boundary changes have brought grief to a number of people. a lot of southport residants still regard their town in lancashire and not merseyside. same with uppermill who,s football team still play in the huddersfield league and a number of town fans live there. most keighley residants hate us having a BD postcode as some think its a district of bradford.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 15:35   #28
Senior Member+

Thanks for the information Gremlin !
Gremlin likes this.
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 18:25   #29

Its a lovely town.. certainly it is devoutly in Yorkshire though.. I heard there is a pub in Walsden that sits on the border... The Border Rose in fact.

Anyway, I am a man of my word, and am in Newport now... I might be the only Stanley fan here ( well, Boro fan really, but you understand).. been for a look at The Transporter Bridge.... not as good as the one in Middlesbrough obviously.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
cashman and monkey hanger like this.
TodmordenBoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 19:38   #30
Senior Member+

The Border Rose is a mile nearer Todmorden than the Lancs/Yorks border which is the Summit side of Calderbrook road. The Border Rose was originally named The Butchers. One of my old drinking haunts when I lived in Walsden,
A hundred yards from the Border Rose is the Waggon and Horses, well known for its good grub and extensive menu.

Enjoy yourself in Newport, Ive seen the transporter bridge many times when I used to go to Monsato Chemicals with a tanker but never used it.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..