Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-04-2017, 20:00   #31
Full Member+

Re: A New Fan

The boarder there is the river Calder, and not the same Calder that goes through Whalley from Burnley way.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-04-2017, 20:11   #32
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
The boarder there is the river Calder, and not the same Calder that goes through Whalley from Burnley way.
Not since 1888. Then the border was changed to follow the Todmorden Boundary.

It is the Walsden water which flows under the town hall and it joins the Calder behind the market.

That is fact.

Bye the way I said I was born and bred in Todmorden 88 years ago. It was 78 years ago, it was a slip of the finger.
It's changed a lot but still a nice place to live.

Last edited by Gremlin; 21-04-2017 at 20:17.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 20:29   #33
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
Not since 1888. Then the border was changed to follow the Todmorden Boundary.

It is the Walsden water which flows under the town hall and it joins the Calder behind the market.

That is fact.

Bye the way I said I was born and bred in Todmorden 88 years ago. It was 78 years ago, it was a slip of the finger.
It's changed a lot but still a nice place to live.
The historic boundaries are the real ones like the Mersey for Lancs/Cheshire. It doesn't matter how politicians and quangos divide it up afterwards, after the cricket counties were formed nothing counts.
monkey hanger likes this.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 08:29   #34
God Member

[QUOTE=TodmordenBoro;. been for a look at The Transporter Bridge.... not as good as the one in Middlesbrough obviously.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

there,s only one transporter bridge. port clarance to middlesbrough.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 10:49   #35

Its quite a structure....

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
TodmordenBoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 11:38   #36
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
You might think I've gone insane but before the M62 was built we used to regularly drive from Leeds to Accrington and back through Todmorden. I have these recollections that there used to be a spaceship permanently parked on some wasteland (on the left as we drove from Leeds). Is that right?
Yes you are right, It was a house made in the local plastics factory. It belonged to Pat Pheonix (Elsie Tanner) it was on the land across from Temperly pipes and then it disappeared. I would love to know what happened to it.

Welcome to the Stanley Family New Fan.
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 14:56   #37
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisr View Post
Yes you are right, It was a house made in the local plastics factory. It belonged to Pat Pheonix (Elsie Tanner) it was on the land across from Temperly pipes and then it disappeared. I would love to know what happened to it.

Welcome to the Stanley Family New Fan.
There were a few of the Futuro houses made by Waterside Plastics. I believe one or two are still in existance. I cant remember the one opposite Temperley pipes though and I used to use the road over to Bacup a lot. Probably old age creeping up on me.
I worked for a local engineering company and we did a few jobs repairing machinery at all the three Temperley pipe works on Bacup road.
I remember the plastic house being moved from the Waterside factory to The front of Abraham Ormerod medical centre on Burnley road. It was about 1970.
Old 24-04-2017, 00:55   #38
I am Banned

Seems like you really had a good time mate! cool!
redgeek is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..