Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree17Likes
  • 7 Post By The Alchemist
  • 1 Post By Kiwi John
  • 1 Post By Exile on Spencer St
  • 4 Post By andyd
  • 2 Post By keep the faith
  • 2 Post By choirboy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2022, 09:32   #1
Junior Member+

A possible new Stanley way ?

I found this a very interesting article on the BBC Sport website.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61648608
The Alchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-06-2022, 02:10   #2
God Member

Re: A possible new Stanley way ?

That was VERY interesting. Thank you for posting the link Alchy.
choirboy likes this.
Kiwi John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 08:45   #3
God Member

I, too, found it interesting but this was in the days when, more or less, nearly every time set up 2-3-5!
Five attackers, and wingers who didn’t have to spend their time backing up the full backs and could hang around the half way line, no doubt with a lit fag hanging from their lower lip, waiting to chase the ball booted up the wing.
How times have changed.
I may be misremembering this but I recall reading that one of the reasons why Stanley Matthews was so ‘revolutionary’ to English football (other than promoting fitness training and ‘slippers’ instead of hob-nail boots) was that, when he received the ball, he then ran at the full back at speed! The cad! The prior convention seemed to have been that the winger politely waited for the opposing full-back to get close before trying to get passed him.
Seems a tad unbelievable, but is it any more so than having five dedicated attackers?
choirboy likes this.
Exile on Spencer St is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 09:21   #4
God Member

Nothing beats a player beating his marker getting to the byeline and pulling a cross at pace into the penalty area so hard to defend and most goals are scored from within the penalty area so more times your in it more chances to score.
cashman, pifco, choirboy and 1 others like this.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2022, 10:44   #5

Steve Heighway was a perfect example of this style of play!
choirboy and DaveinGermany like this.
keep the faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2022, 12:14   #6
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyd View Post
Nothing beats a player beating his marker getting to the byeline and pulling a cross at pace into the penalty area so hard to defend and most goals are scored from within the penalty area so more times your in it more chances to score.
Fully agree with you Andyd!
I am always urging Sean Mac to get into this position.
I call it “The Golden Spot”……..A winger getting to the bye line with the ball, between six and twelve yards from the near post. Then cutting the ball back towards the penalty spot, takes the opponents goalie and centre backs out of play. Team mates running on to the ball just ten or twelve yards out and goals come direct from shots or deflections! We used to do it a lot years ago when we played with wingers who could beat full backs!
DaveinGermany and andyd like this.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..