Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-06-2009, 22:55   #91
God Member

Re: A.S.F.C. FF Bid.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revived Red View Post
But I cannot agree with your specific example of the bar. No amount of funding would persuade me to use the bar before or after games - and there are many reasons for that. Hundreds of others will have their own reasons, all beyond the reach of funding input. And at a time when pubs are closing by the dozen every day, I'm not sure how funding would persuade outsiders to use the bar during the week.
well the bar was just an off the top of my head example, but is a good example nonetheless.

I try to have a pint or six in there at every opportunity but the atmosphere is poor and the surroundings are poor. It doesn't shout out that it is a football orientated establishment, Some of the primary reasons people have been to the bar in the past, post game, are the Man of the Match awards and to watch the full time scores come in. You can't see the full times even though they put the massive screen up, the scores are at the bottom of the screen and as people are stood up you have no chance. The MOM award has been farcical at best since Big Frank stopped doing it. The decision to go corporate only seemed to have a final nail in the coffin as far as people drinking there was concerned.

But regardless of that the place can be brought back to full use. Beyond matchday there are a million and one things that can be done to make use of it and bring in revenue. It just needs some forward thinking done.

We made a song and dance about the place being one of the best places around for conferences, I would beg to differ. For a start have we got all the right electrickery and hardware for Conference calling, video calling, Wi-fi, plasma screens for presentations?

As one of the largest venues in town, and also with the backing of the largest turnover of the licensed premises suitable for functions (probably?)
it could or should be the first name thought of for all functions held through the town. 52 friday nights (£2k minimum bar takings), a minimun of 29 saturday nights (£2k), 52 sunday lunchtimes (£750), all add up to over £200k. You can build into these functions by offering an all in one service - do you need balloons, bunting, catering, DJ, cake, flowers. Via generated business contacts around town we can establish preferred supplier rates for all these products and then charge market rate for them. None of them would be massive earners on their own but all add to the pot.

Get in contact with any group that has lots of members and may need somewhere to meet, band practise or jam sessions, once a week comedy night, once a month mega functions, regular Sportsmans Dinners. etc etc

We have the space for it but the place has to look right. It has to have the damp patches removed from the walls, it has to have the leaks in the toilet fixed, it has to have the right variety of drinks behind the bar to suit the function being held, it has to be clean and tidy. The bar still makes something now but it is the same as the rest of the club in that it is on its arse and the only real way is up. Can the club afford to pay someone £25k pa to sort the place out? At the moment I would say no, or else they would have done. But until they do it is losing thousands.

Pendle Red also has it right that we could do with some sort of community hall that can be utilised for whatever. If nothing else it means that for every kid that pays £3 for the soccer schools (during term time evenings), the club gets the £3 rather than New Era or Rhyddings getting a slice.

The list is endless for what can be done with the right money and the right people invested into it. The trick would be to ascertain which would be the quickest to implement and which would have the greatest financial impact. Balance the two and that is the first thing that any external money should be used for.

all good discussion points!
Old 25-06-2009, 19:26   #92
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
well the bar was just an off the top of my head example, but is a good example nonetheless.

I try to have a pint or six in there at every opportunity but the atmosphere is poor and the surroundings are poor. It doesn't shout out that it is a football orientated establishment,
did the exhibition ever get put up in the bar?

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2009, 20:15   #93
God Member

not as of last month
Old 25-06-2009, 20:56   #94
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
did the exhibition ever get put up in the bar?

Gayle as of yet no.

However in fairness there is a good reason

The main worker/ doer at the ground Lord William of Harwood has been rather busy concreting and assiting the Ultras in fixing seats.

No doubt the next project will be to finish off the terracing on the Coppice, before finally doing the panels.

Long over due, but as always certain things take priority
Mr T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2009, 21:18   #95
God Member

Just thought it would make it a bit more 'footbally' in the bar, like you suggested Macca.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2009, 23:36   #96
God Member

All the measurements were taken regarding the panels and the decisions on how they would go up but alas seats had to take priority but as Mr T stated it has been promised it will be completed but can't be the main priority until the ground has been finished

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2009, 11:13   #97
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr T View Post
assiting the Ultras in fixing seats.
Was nobody else involved then?
Old 26-06-2009, 11:54   #98
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
Was nobody else involved then?

Sorry!!

There were lots of loyal supporters who worked damned hard to fix the seats, most of whom were against their very existance on the Clayton end!!

I was just trying to point out that with limited resources, tasks have to be put into a priority.

That's another pint I'll be standing on Thursday I suspect
Mr T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:15   #99
Super Moderator

Looks like things are starting to happen...

Stanley fans go all formal (From Lancashire Telegraph)
Old 07-07-2009, 11:27   #100
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

No Loweiy, no UK Cowboy and most surprising to me no Macca???

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:31   #101
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
I think you will find that they are on the Committee
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:31   #102
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post

Thats because we are on the commitee Baggy! I most certainly have no experience at 'directorship' level, but cant speak for Loweiy or Macca.

(TUESDAY 3rd NOVEMBER 2009........A PROUD DAY FOR ALL STANLEY FANS)

Messrs Khan and Marsden I thank you

Thursday 31st. March 2011, a new dawn over the Crown ground.
www.dirtyhatband.co.uk
ukcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:41   #103
Accy Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukcowboy View Post
Thats because we are on the commitee Baggy! I most certainly have no experience at 'directorship' level, but cant speak for Loweiy or Macca.

I knew that but I hoped one of you would step up, we are talking about Stanley not Microsoft and there are other directors, I just hope peoples talents and ideas wil be used.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Old 07-07-2009, 11:42   #104
God Member

same as the Cowboy on this - I have no experience (no would I like any) of bored (sic) room yawning. My feelings were that those who have experience of things should be put towards that. Whether or not our elected Chairman was the right man there and then for the job was unimportant - he has lots of experience of chairing various committee's so was therefore the popular choice, and so on.

Let the penpushers do the yawning and groaning and leave the fundraising and fun stuff to those that appreciate it!

things are on the up and The Don et al have been invited to our next meeting at which point we should have a clearer indication of what the future holds.

Hopefully we will have good news in a fortnight or so.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:07   #105
Accy Red

Sounds good to me Rob.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..