Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2008, 22:06   #76
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Accrington Stanley - Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
kids shouldn't be up at that time of night
they hear worse than that in the playground
football is/was/should be (take your pick) the game of the working class and for me the language wasn't a problem although I wont let my 7 year old watch it

I thought Eric came across as quite funny although hard to deal with - so its true, why hide from that
The club came across as tinpot and amatuerish - but we are and we don't hide it. It also showed that we have come from very humble beginnings and have come a long way in a short time. Anybody who can't see that is either blind, stupid or both

The first episode was neither bad nor good, but it was entertaining and I am sure that people around the county will have enjoyed it for what it was. It is probably an opportunity for the club to try to capitalise on although despite the best efforts of David and Gavin I fear that they won't.

But above all I think that it proves that Accrington Stanley still have box office appeal.

I await the letters page in fridays Observer
its not the kids up at that time of the night macca, its the parents that see the blithering idiot,n think no-way when the kid asks. so sorry mate its you thats blind.
Old 04-10-2008, 22:11   #77
God Member

I dont like Amy Winehouse but I like her music - the only reason I won't buy it is cos I wont fund her drug habit.

but there are plenty of blithering idiots whose products I would buy if I liked them and the product was something I needed or wanted. Other than Amy Winehouse or Pete Doherty. Or Alan Carr.
Old 04-10-2008, 22:31   #78
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
I dont like Amy Winehouse but I like her music - the only reason I won't buy it is cos I wont fund her drug habit.

but there are plenty of blithering idiots whose products I would buy if I liked them and the product was something I needed or wanted. Other than Amy Winehouse or Pete Doherty. Or Alan Carr.
its not about what you or i like macca, its about parents thinking i aint letting/taking my kid up there if thats what its like, think good impression n maybe you will get it.
Old 05-10-2008, 00:07   #79
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
its not about what you or i like macca, its about parents thinking i aint letting/taking my kid up there if thats what its like, think good impression n maybe you will get it.
whats the point of being all fake up infront of the cameras like no swearing all nice and things, and they think il take my son/daughter up to watch a game only to find out its the total opposite and that thier is alot of swearing etc i think they would be more mad at that wouldnt you! going somewhere only to find its the total opposite of what you expected/seen on tv

The Harder The Conflict, The More Glorious The Triumph

MCR ADIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 00:35   #80

Talking Re: Accrington Stanley - Exactly

Im not going to say how but Ive seen the programme and not much was shown that I didnt already know about and I think it was good to see Eric being himself, as Mr K says its a documentary about the runnings of a football club that isnt one of the most affluent. Yes the washers for stewards comment will offend most but that was Erics view at the time it was filmed.

The episode did show me some things I didnt know - the actual happenings on the day of the Brentford game that was called off. I thought the ref was gonna get mullered when he was trying to leave....

Amazed how passionate the Brentford fans were to get onto the ground even though the game was off - that shows just how much Stanley appeal to others in my opinion - you wouldnt turn up to any old ground kicking off if you couldnt get in because the game was called off saying things like we need to get in to cross a threshold!! Well.... I dont think so...

Anyway - looking forward to next weeks episode for more behind the scenes reality at the club I love...

Jimbo T blower

Born and Bred in Accrington - You cant BUY class

"We invented the big time now we're back in the big time" ( Loweiy circa 2006 )

AND THATS WHERE WE'RE STAYIN!!!!
Jimbo T Hornblower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 07:54   #81

After watching the first episode of the documentary, my first impression was one of embarresment. I know that Stanley are a little club,punching above their weight,I know they are run in a very amateurish way partly due to limited funds. I wonder what the Directors of Combined Stabilisation, Fraser Eagle, Buy the House, etc. thought of our foul mouthed little chairman. It may have been in the clubs best interest if he had made the effort and followed the advice given to fans of a Saturday" Please refrain from Foul and abusive language"
It may be worth remembering that a lot of people are offended be it, not just women and children,but people looking to invest in our club.
caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 10:16   #82
Senior Member+

Will not be going national any time soon. This is what ITV say:

"Thank you for your email. Accrington Stanley is a regional programme and only broadcast in the Granada area. Unfortunately there are no plans at the present time to transmit the programme in other regions – sorry to disappoint.

Regards

Duty office - jh

ITV Duty Office | ITV plc
Tel: 0844 88 14150 | [email protected]
Hours of Opening: 08.00 - 23.00 Mon-Fri, 10.00 - 22.00 Sat, Sun. Closed on Bank Holidays."

6th March 1962 - They turned off the gas but nothing could extinguish the flame!
Haggis316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 10:17   #83
K-P

Well done on getting a response and sharing.. its certainly elayed my fears
Old 05-10-2008, 10:40   #84
God Member

Thing is ...its a football match/ground, at the end of the day thats what happens in the world of football [whichever league], people swear part of life in the game. My dad used to describe it well, as a place for the working man as a stress management hehehe

Trouble is like many governed areas of life, footy is looking like its going the same way but swearing is only a set of words of frustration. I take my child up there & has been explained the language heard is not for her to repeat till shes an adult & observes that & will substitute any bad language into politer terms if she chants or shouts. Think as its about parents taking the responsibility about the rights & wrongs for nippers, but i dont wrap in cotton wool either & yes she saw the prog seeing well past the swearing.

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 11:13   #85
God Member

When I am in the company of my staff, we all use occasional bad language, woe betide any member of staff who used such language knowingly within earshot of the customer, if that kind of language was acceptable, the adverts in between programmes would be rife with it. If kids used that kind of language at school, the parents would be brought in to account, imo there is absolutely no need to swear in the presence of women and children, or anybody else who may be offended by it, if there was any chance (in erics position) that it would affect my business, I would seriously try to curb it.
Get a swear box in at stanley, that should boost the coffers!
Old 05-10-2008, 11:19   #86
God Member

I think the language thing is all about context. During a game it may be more prevelant because of the emotions football carries with it. Although it does show Eric as he is, maybe in hindsight the language may have been curbed during normal conversations around the ground on non match days while the cameras were about. I'm pretty sure Eric is not likely to go to league chairmans meetings and swear a lot so it can be done

I can see both sides of the argument here, if the language wasn't as bad maybe it could have been shown at an earlier time and attracted a bigger and younger audience which could get the club more interest. That still doesn't avoid the situation on match days themselves though where industrial language is impossible to hide from kids.

Ironically the football leagues campaign this season is to cut down on the language used at football matches, perhaps it's as well they didn't film it this season, don't think Eric would have been seen as the figurehead in the advertising campaign
Old 05-10-2008, 13:24   #87
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

some can defend it all they wish,its their right, far as i'm concerned it was un-necessary, n think some are too blind to see it could do harm.
Old 05-10-2008, 15:34   #88
Super Moderator

Eric's bad language doesn't offend me personally (and I'd be a hypocrite to say it did, considering my choice of words at times!). However, I would've thought he'd have the awareness to think to himself, "right, I'll cut the bad language while the cameras are around, it might put potential punters off." And yes, it would have made the programme a little less realistic, but I would have sacrificed a little realism if it meant attracting more through the gates. However, I must say he was highly diplomatic with that stupid woman from Brentford - I'd have told her to sod off! See, Eric, you can do it when you want!
Old 05-10-2008, 15:46   #89
Senior Member+

I have yet to hear any discussion or argument made more powerful by the use of bad/industrial language - whatever term we wish to use. I'm sorry, but when such language is used, it always seems to me to be the last despairing hope of the intellectually inadequate; in other words, the loser.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 15:53   #90
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revived Red View Post
I have yet to hear any discussion or argument made more powerful by the use of bad/industrial language - whatever term we wish to use. I'm sorry, but when such language is used, it always seems to me to be the last despairing hope of the intellectually inadequate; in other words, the loser.
yeh got it in one mate, it don't offend me personally, but was a negotiater oer 20 yrs n never resorted to it.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..