Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By smobile
  • 1 Post By lancsdave
  • 8 Post By Wynonie Harris
  • 1 Post By Exile on Spencer St
  • 1 Post By lancsdave
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 10:01   #1

Aldershot Away Travel

With Stanley finally back to winning ways and after we beat Dagenham this Saturday, Stanley will be heading down to Aldershot.

Aldershot Away 12th January

Subject to numbers, I will be delighted to run Away Travel for everyone again.

£20 per person
Set off : TBC

Plain and simple guys, 35 people required.

Please contact me to book on

Thanks
Old 07-01-2013, 12:15   #2

Re: Aldershot Away Travel

COACH IS CANCELLED.

Unfortunately only 10 people booked on.

Sorry Folks
Old 08-01-2013, 01:16   #3
I am Banned

pure apathy,when stanley were promoted to the conference,the 1st match was aldershot away,there were about 500+ fans there,robbie williams scored a cracker and john kennedy made his asfc debut in goal,lost 2-1 but look at it now not even 100 going,asfc going down faster than the titanic,people do not want a footy team in accrington,and if this carries on there will be no asfc in the league,results are bad,attendances are very low.Not enough support,never has been and never will be FACT.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:42   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan7554 View Post
pure apathy,when stanley were promoted to the conference,the 1st match was aldershot away,there were about 500+ fans there,robbie williams scored a cracker and john kennedy made his asfc debut in goal,lost 2-1 but look at it now not even 100 going,asfc going down faster than the titanic,people do not want a footy team in accrington,and if this carries on there will be no asfc in the league,results are bad,attendances are very low.Not enough support,never has been and never will be FACT.
Total contradiction. 500+ fans at Aldershot, then you say there has never been enough support
Old 08-01-2013, 08:39   #5

It's also called a "recession" and "folks with families" and "two weeks after xmas".
lancsdave likes this.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:44   #6
God Member

Quote:
So you'll be going then will you - oh no, sorry - bit of a trek form where you are (time must have dimmed you memory, I think you'll find it was Proccy who scored the goal that first match in the conference)
Old 08-01-2013, 11:48   #7
I am Banned

ok my mistake yes it was proccy who scored at our away end and the point i am making is we got very good crowds in the conference and not when asfc are in the football league the attendences are not good enough and on another note were you there that day, asfc had better gates then and 7 years later the attendences have got worse not better,and as for not going to any matches i do my bit over here,we have an asfc supporters club in my local pub where we meet every monday evening and talk about all things asfc related.i also think that i was there from many years ago when we were in the northern premier league or cant you remember that or did you not go then in the late 80s- early 90.s i have followed them all over the country so dont give me any crap about not being there

Last edited by alan7554; 08-01-2013 at 11:50.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:53   #8
I am Banned

so there was not a recession in the late 90.s when asfc got promoted to the conference dont talk out of your hat its about people not supporting there local team when they should be,compere the conference gates to the football league gates now and there is a big difference,fact asfc cant survive on these low gates
Old 08-01-2013, 12:03   #9

From my recollection Alan, there was a recession in the early 90's and Stanley went into the conference in 2003 - i think the beer must be a bit too strong in Bangcock.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:31   #10
God Member

Quote:
compere the conference gates to the football league gates now
There's a big difference in attendances when a team are winning and when they are losing, it's not special to Accrington, it's just how it happens
smobile likes this.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:38   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
There's a big difference in attendances when a team are winning and when they are losing, it's not special to Accrington, it's just how it happens
Spot on Dave - People like watching a winning team.

Hence the lost 15'000+ at Ewood Park from the mid 90's
Old 08-01-2013, 12:56   #12
Super Moderator

Quote:
i also think that i was there from many years ago when we were in the northern premier league or cant you remember that or did you not go then in the late 80s- early 90s
Right, I've been supporting Stanley since 1960, including Lancs Comb at Peel Park in the '60's, and Lancs Comb/Cheshire League/North West Premier in the 70's/80's/90's, so don't brand me a Johnny-come-lately.

One of the many charms of Stanley has always been throughout our history that, logically, in terms of size of town, support base etc., we shouldn't exist as a league club...yet we do and hopefully will carry on doing so. It's the triumph of dreams over reality.

In terms of cold, hard statistics, I don't recall the conference gates being any higher than our league gates overall. Sure, we started off with some high gates in the first flush of success, but that soon dropped off and gates plummeted towards the 1,000 in our first conference season.

Secondly, the economic climate does have something to do with it. It grieves me to say it, but Accrington is a poor town which seems to be getting poorer - witness the rows of closed shops in the Arndale. Seventeen quid to get on the Crown is quite literally too much for some people.

And as Dave says, people won't come to watch a losing team.

What do you suggest we do? Say to ourselves as you do, "not enough support, never has been, never will be" and give up? Us Stanley fans are made of sterner stuff than that!
Redash, DAV007, yonmon and 5 others like this.
Old 08-01-2013, 13:13   #13
God Member

Amen to that, Wynonie.
Let's hope there's some stern but happy faces at Aldershot on Saturday.
Wynonie Harris likes this.
Old 08-01-2013, 13:15   #14
God Member

I seem to recall being down the Turf with 1400 others for league games in the old 4th Division. When you look at it that way Stanley support actually holds up well

Of course Stanley want bigger crowds but there's only one way of getting them on a regular basis, win games. In this day and age I doubt many teams rely on gate money to finance the challenge for success.
Wynonie Harris likes this.
Old 08-01-2013, 14:24   #15
I am Banned

please dont get me wrong my heart has always been with asfc but it erks me when people only go when they are doing well,remember the saying KEEP THE FAITH,its about supporting your team through thick and thin and i am sorry to say that the people off accrington are to fickle to deserve a football league team again it happened in 1962,lets not let it happen again,i wish i was there on saturdays i miss the lads on the clayton end and the banter,just saying what i think that unless the town supports asfc then asfc are not going to survive, from bangkok i wish allasfc supporters a happy new year sawadee pee mai 2013
Closed Thread

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..