Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2013, 15:43   #16

Re: Aldershot match thead

just the drive home to look forward to now. 2-0
Bentley5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-01-2013, 16:09   #17
Junior Member+

Is Lindfield injured? Seems strange that with a player with his work rate that we leave him on the bench, especially for an away game. He played well when playing in front of Hunt in the Chesterfield game.
Stanley Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 16:24   #18
Resting in Peace

According to the BBC we had 3 shots, none of which were on target. Our opponents will be able to field 11 outfield players at this rate.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 17:54   #19
Senior Member+

From what I have read and what I have heard, seems to me Leam needs help NOW, or alternatively a new manager before the situation gets too dire. I have said this before and I will say it again, we need the likes of Keith Hill to either a. assist Leam or b. replace Leam. If we can have 3 shots with 74% possession then that says something of the strikers playing or the possession not coming to the strikers to be able to have a decent shot at goal. I fear that £5 entrance fee to grab support from the locals will not be enough against the Dons on Saturday. We need wins and we need them fast. All I can say is come and help Stanley next week, we need it badly.
smobile likes this.

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 18:03   #20

I said it after the Wycombe game and will say it again now.

This team and this manager are not enough to keep us in this division. People will say, "get behind the team", but facts are facts - we are heading down.

I will expand on this later..............

My Chinese has arrived.
smobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 18:35   #21

Every time we have been in this position before, teams below us have either been on points deducted or not picking up points.

I think it will require 50 points to stay up this season and I can't see us getting another 20 points.

Before anyone says I am being negative, I'm not. I'm being realistic. I know we have financial constraints and this is why we have what we have.

But the truth is - THIS team, THIS manager is not enough.
Old 12-01-2013, 18:44   #22
Junior Member+

i don't think we'll go down - there are 2 worse sides in this division- one of them is the wombles. if we loose against them i might get twitchy

i don't post often- it is at this stage that the team needs vocal support at home

if it's a fiver for wimbledon- the town needs to get behind them and put 3-400 extra on the gate

a home match for me is 70 miles round trip- for a fiver every one in accy should get atleast one mate or family to get the spare change from down the back of the sofa and watch the reds!
stewthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 19:07   #23
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback Ozzy View Post
If we can have 3 shots with 74% possession then that says something of the strikers playing or the possession not coming to the strikers to be able to have a decent shot at goal.
To be fair, that figure of 74% which was quoted must have been for a short period of play only, as the figure for the whole game, again according to the BBC, was 38% possession for us. Nevertheless, 3 shots, none on target, must be some sort of horrible record, mustn't it?
Old 12-01-2013, 19:47   #24
Resting in Peace

Good sense talked by Paul Stephenson on fishy site post Aldershot. Someone on an earlier thread was asking who he is:-

http://www.thefullwiki.org/Paul_Stephenson_(footballer)

We need him to repeat his influence with manager Lee Clark at Huddersfield when they went on that record unbeaten run!
AccyMad likes this.
Old 12-01-2013, 20:43   #25
Senior Member+

Just got back from the game and a 450 mile round trip !!.Been on holiday for three weeks and I wish I had stayed there lol
Poor game,poor teams and poor conditions.
They had three attempts on target,us none.
From last season,it looks like they have made the pitch smaller and turned into a long ball team,indeed apart from corners and set pieces,we dealt with there general play easily.
Our major problem is earning the right to play,and we were second in every challenge in midfield.
In Joyce,miller,Hatfield and Molly,who's the tough tackling ball winners?,
They played with a 6-3 holding player,who just screened the back four and the result was no shots--simple but effective tactics.
We were still in the game when we made our subs,but in carver,Clark and bohan, not one has had any league experience upto this season,whilst Linney and Charlie remained on the bench.
These young lads may turn out to be league players,but they won't keep us in the league this season.
All the basics seem to have gone out of our game,like movement off the ball,taking a player on,through balls,taking a chance on flick ons,winning your individual battles etc etc....
It is really time now for getting the basics right and putting a shift in to get a result
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 21:09   #26
Senior Member+

I'm afraid that I have to disagree with Paul Stephenson and football19. To my mind, we were NEVER in the game. We have to thank Belford for two superb saves and a referee who denied a certain Aldershot penalty; otherwise it could have been worse.

I do agree with football19 when he says that the basics have gone out of our game. His list is spot on.

Among the basic we really MUST get right are dead ball situations. For goodness sake, let's stop the stupid "routines" of short corners and free kicks. Get the ball into the opposition penalty area where it matters. Why is it so difficult to take a conventional corner? We seem to find it almost impossible.

Although football19 queries the use of Bohan Dixon, I felt he did well enough today to earn a start. When he first came on, he played up front and was direct and dangerous.

As for Hunt and Wilson, I just cannot see why we have signed them. They are certainly no better than players we have already.

And another thing! At goal kicks, why do all the players gather in such a confined section of the pitch? I did note that snake always used to have a winger out wide on the opposite side from the bunch. That always provided an outlet for a breakaway.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 21:27   #27
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revived Red View Post

And another thing! At goal kicks, why do all the players gather in such a confined section of the pitch? I did note that snake always used to have a winger out wide on the opposite side from the bunch. That always provided an outlet for a breakaway.
Careful, RR. Football 19 chastised me for being naive in bringing up this very point a few games ago. Apparently only Barcelona spread their players around the whole pitch!
Old 12-01-2013, 21:29   #28
God Member

Must have watched a different game to F19!! Long ball they are not, most teams in this league pump it forward, but I saw at least five moves by The Shots, which were nice one touch moves, four or five passes in a row, which took them from their 18yd area to ours.

We were poor again today, in a match we needed not to lose.

Bring on A.F.C. next week, the season starts then!!!!!!!

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 22:58   #29

Something is seriously wrong when our goalkeeper, either dunbavin, rachuba or belford is our best player. Week in, week out. Think of some of the games this season and we are probably 10 points better off than we might be. We need a change at the top.
Old 12-01-2013, 23:18   #30

maybe my loyalty is getting the better of me. I was, as ever, there today and again found myself thinking that Leam isn't up to the job BUT HE IS STANLEY THROUGH AND THROUGH. he may need to move to an assistant position to an experienced manager but he must stay with the club.
Bentley5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..