Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-01-2013, 18:45   #46

Re: Aldershot match thead

The board need to back Leam now and invest in the team. If we go down, I can't see us ever getting back in the League. Staying up this year, will only equal winning the conference - It's the same prize!!

Staying up is easier than winning the conference.

I am sure the powers that be read this forum, so lets have some answers.

Brian Hughes has said he is still looking for a club

Have we asked him?

Do we want him?

Does he want too much money?

There must be someone out there to give Leam some help.

Keith Hill / Stan Ternent - management advice
Paul Mullin - helping to show the strikers where the onion bag is
smobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-01-2013, 18:51   #47
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by football19 View Post
Must admit,in a funny sort of way, I am looking forward to the rest of the season,something to play for,a lot of twists and turns,highs and lows,at least it will be interesting right upto the last game !!!
Don't know whether or not my nervous disposition will actually allow me to 'look forward' to the rest of the Roller Coaster ride !....but YES it will be vairy interestink !!.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 19:04   #48
Super Moderator

Quote:
Must admit,in a funny sort of way, I am looking forward to the rest of the season,something to play for,a lot of twists and turns,highs and lows,at least it will be interesting right upto the last game !!!
That's the sort of "interesting" I could without! I would much, much prefer to be in a boring mid-table position with nothing much to play for for the rest of the season. It's all very well having "something to play for", but the consequences of not achieving that "something" do not bear thinking about. As smobile says, if we do go out, we'll never get back.
Outback Ozzy and yonmon like this.
Old 13-01-2013, 19:10   #49
God Member

Quote:
It makes a mockery of people dismissing mcconvilles efforts the other season,I bet we haven't had 13 shots from midfield,let alone 13 goals!!,opps,should have posted that on another thread lol

You never know, he could be available in a few days
Old 15-01-2013, 12:10   #50
Senior Member+

Just trying to pick the bones out of our recent form and went back 12 months ago when we played Aldershot away(coleys last game and proccy didnt travel/signed for preston).
We played a 4-2-3-1 system then,but on saturday went 4-4-2.
Are we playing two up top to assist Beattie?,therefore sacrificing a defensive central midfielder.
Aldershot on saturday played a young 6-4 centre back in a midfield holding role,
despite it only being his second game,did a good job(no shots on target)
Twelve months ago,we got a 0-0 draw,and murph did the same job for us (replacing proccy).
My point is,especially away from home,we need to be hard to beat,as the onus is on the home side to force the pace.
I am stuck a little on this,as i dont feel we can play Beattie up top on his own(not as mobile as he use to be!!)
I cant see us doing much playing 4-4-2,as we havent real width,and now we have got two experienced fullbacks,we could go a bit narrower and get around Beattie,what do others think??
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 12:29   #51

Been saying for a while,Miller and Joyce can't play together,unfortunately Miller seems to be the scapegoat at times,due to the armband!!.And would give Dixon a go in front of back four until we get a centre half sorted,to possibly free Murphy to play the role in front of the back four.
Redraine likes this.
Old 15-01-2013, 12:55   #52
God Member

We just need to be more smart tactically; knowing our limitations and playing to our strengths.

We have experienced full backs signed on now in Hunt and Wilson as well as wide players who know how to defend in Linny and Moly. Joyce is good at mopping up and ought to be employed to do just that - his limitations have been found in conjuring play out of nothing. Boco is creative and difficult to play against when given a free role so stick him behind the front two - I can't say he's best used on the wing. Hatfield is a clever forward who gets in the right areas (there was a reason for his series of late goals last season, it wasn't coincidence). Podge will run all day and is good in the air for a smaller chap. Him and Will caused Fylde no end of problems and regardless of the 'lesser' oppo, a good partnership is something to develop.

Belford
Hunt Winnard Murphy Wilson
Joyce
Lindfield ______________ Molyneux
Boco
Hatfield Amond
Dixon has been impressive as an impact sub but I'm not sure on his credentials for a starting place. Let's face it, as captain Joyce will not be dropped. Rightly or wrongly.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 13:04   #53
God Member

I've only just emerged from a darkened room after Stanley's performance, but, regarding your earlier post Football19, I think I may have been the guy sitting behind you, and was more than happy to hear your outbursts. If only we'd seen as much thought and passion on the field!
Aldershot on saturday played a young 6-4 centre back in a midfield holding role, despite it only being his second game,did a good job(no shots on target)
As for Beattie, their young CB had him in his pocket all day but some of his tactics would have been stopped by a different referee. I lost count the number of times he clobbered Beattie with a leading forearm. Paradoxically, had Stanley not had a 'celebrity' striker, we may well have got a few more free kicks. Not that we seem to know what to do with them when we get 'em.
as we haven't real width,and now we have got two experienced fullbacks,we could go a bit narrower and get around Beattie,what do others think??[/QUOTE]
Clearly, Football19, you know more about the tactics of the modern game than I but, for what it's worth, my view is that going narrower is exactly the opposite to what Stanley need to try. We haven't width because we don't make the pitch wide. Both teams were so narrow that Aldershot could have let half the pitch out as allotments.
I can only presume that the players are being told to crowd together like we all had to do in a primary school teams when couldn't kick the ball more than 10 yards.
With professional players I wonder whether that negative approach reveals a greater fear of the what the opposition can do to you if you give them space, rather than a belief in the damage you can do to them if you receive the ball in space.
Stanley have never won a game this season when they've conceded the first goal. The logic of that statistic is they should go all out and attack, not simply try to contain. Doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting a different result is one definition of madness.
My non-technical and rather simplistic thoughts are that, if Stanley are to make the most of Beattie's and others' abilities, they need to get behind defences quickly, and cut the ball back in where players can attack the ball whilst also moving in a direction that takes them closer to the opponent's goal.
Even if they lose and go down, I would rather see Stanley be much more attacking, much quicker, and much 'wider' (if that means using the wings) than have to watch another performance like Saturday's.
Is it light outside yet?

Last edited by Exile on Spencer St; 15-01-2013 at 13:07.
Exile on Spencer St is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 13:56   #54
Senior Member+

Nice to put a face to a name Exile,and yes i do get a little carried away now and again!!.
I understand what your saying about width,but any fullback will tell you,its easier to pick up a man who stays wide,as hes less likely to pop up anywhere else!!.
Quite like shakers team,but a lot of teams now are adopting 4-1-3-2 system,and the width comes from fullbacks joining in.
Man Utd are an example of this,the holding player allows the cbs to split and the fullbacks push on.
this means there still solid in the middle and also have width,with the holding player nearly another cb.
At Wigan they favour 3-4-3 which is how it ends up !!
My only bit of concern on saturday(sorry for bending exiles ears !),was beattie was reluctant to turn bad balls into good ones,at this level your going to get more bad than good!!,were podge and boco to be fare chase everything.
That in mind i would play 4-3-3 with 4-1-4-1 when defending,podge and bocco working hard to get up with beattie
Old 15-01-2013, 19:05   #55
Resting in Peace

All this talk of tactics leaves me cold. Just train and train the guys to shoot with accuracy and/or power when under pressure, or even when not under pressure, as that doesn't seem to make any difference! If they did, perhaps our 3 shots on Saturday would have won us the match.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 19:24   #56
Senior Member+

Unfortunately redraine,it's a big part of the modern game (along with sports science).The game has become like chess, as teams are very similar in terms of fitness,so your looking for any advantage.
The days of thundering sliding tackles are gone,indeed you can win the ball and still get penalised!!!.
I sometimes think it does get boring as teams cancel each other out,and very few chances are created.
Indeed,set pieces and corners are now premium,then again I will leave the corners debate along lol
Old 15-01-2013, 19:28   #57
God Member

Games that impress me the most are ones when a team will harry and press the instant they lose the ball, giving no time for the opposition to play football. The crap Stanley sides of 2006/07/08 did that reasonably well and were blessed with far less talent than this current side.

Indeed England used to do this with fair success. The unfortunate semi-final and quarter final defeats of the 90's were much to do with chasing every cause lost or otherwise.
maccawozzagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 20:12   #58
Senior Member+

Barcelona (not a bad team),utilise what they call the ten second rule.This is similar to what your saying macca,on the odd occasion they lose possession,at least six players chase and close down the opposition/ball for ten seconds.
If they don't regain possession (which is rare!),they drop back into there defensive formation.
We have played our best football when we make the pitch smaller when we don't have possession , and large when we do.
Easier said that done,and you have to be supremely fit.
Old 15-01-2013, 20:14   #59
God Member

Quote:
and you have to be supremely fit.
well the teaching of tactics and formations doesn't seem to be reaping much dividend, I say get 'em up and down Whinney Hill a few times a day
Redraine, yonmon and smobile like this.
maccawozzagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 21:12   #60
Senior Member+

Quote:
Unfortunately redraine,it's a big part of the modern game (along with sports science).The game has become like chess, as teams are very similar in terms of fitness,so your looking for any advantage.
The days of thundering sliding tackles are gone,indeed you can win the ball and still get penalised!!!.
I sometimes think it does get boring as teams cancel each other out,and very few chances are created.
Indeed,set pieces and corners are now premium,then again I will leave the corners debate along lol
I'm definitely with Redraine on this one. I just don't see how the ability to create an extra yard of space (Suarez/van Persie/Hernandez etc) or the ability to weight a pass (Gerrard/Carrick/Scholes etc) has any connection with formation. I would rather know that players are training to improve these individual skills (and shooting!) rather than trying to fit into some imposed formation. Did I mention dribbling?
Redraine likes this.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..