Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2008, 09:33   #1
Senior Member+

' Any signs of it yet???'

I was sat musing in my perch in the Main Stand on Saturday Afternoon....gazing mostly at the TV Gantry and it's guest incumbent !. When a thought crossed my mind which sent a shudder down my spine...it quickly turned into a question which went something like this..
'If work on the development of a New Stand started even as soon as 'the Shots' had vacated our hallowed turf, would it really be completed by the appointed time ??.
Now I am not a Constructional Engineer, and have problems when it comes to deciding how a wheelbarrow works...BUT having watched several Industrial and
Commercial Developments taking place recently, and equating the time and effort involved in bringing these to fruition with that possibly required to bring the FES up to Football League standards..it would seem that the
'tightrope' is already in position, and ready for a precarious balancing act on the part of the great and good at the FES!.
Am I being paranoid again..( Being rather concerned about the Red's retaining a Football league status!)...or can someone out there, suitably qualified to perhaps make a better judgement of the situation than myself..
tell me that all is well ?....and that my worries are totally unfounded !.

'What me Worry'...yes I do !..and I do apologize if I'm beating the same drum again and boring everyone in the process!
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-08-2008, 09:53   #2
Super Moderator

Re: ' Any signs of it yet???'

Been thinking exactly the same thing myself. If the club intend to finish the new stand by the end of the season (and thus retain our football league membership), it seems to me that they are cutting it fine. Most important of all though, the club should end this silence on the subject and tell us exactly what the situation is!
Old 12-08-2008, 11:35   #3
Senior Member+

I suggest you both have a look at Fleetwood Towns website. They have built a complete 2,000 seat and a 900 seat stand in just under 100 days. All that for a million quid.

appropriate link: FTFC News Page

look for the link to the stadium redevelopment

no panic then, if they can do that in 88 days in pre-season, why should we worry!!!!!!

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:46   #4
Senior Member+

They're waiting to see where we are in the league by Christmas. If we're relegation threatened, I don't think you'll see anything happening at all.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:04   #5
Super Moderator

Yes, the Fleetwood one looks very impressive. So why don't the club tell us what they're planning on doing? Whatever happens, I sincerely hope Tin Monkey's theory is wrong. Imagine if the club didn't bother because we looked like we were going down...then we survived!
Old 12-08-2008, 12:44   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
They're waiting to see where we are in the league by Christmas. If we're relegation threatened, I don't think you'll see anything happening at all.
that may not be as far fetched as it seems, if it was the case, i would be worried it could be completed in time through one factor,=the BRITISH WEATHER.
Old 12-08-2008, 13:24   #7

Can anyone confirm or deny a rumour i heard the other day that accy had received a extension till may 2010 to get the work done,instead of next year.If it's true it might go some way to eleviating the worry of wether we will be playing in the league next season or back in the conference?????????.

ACCY TILL I DIE AND THEN SOME....................:signbe er:
afrikaaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 14:30   #8

Question Re: ' Any signs of it yet???'

Dont the club just have to SHOW that work has started by the end of this season and not necessarily have it completed by then?

Jimbo T blower

Born and Bred in Accrington - You cant BUY class

"We invented the big time now we're back in the big time" ( Loweiy circa 2006 )

AND THATS WHERE WE'RE STAYIN!!!!
Jimbo T Hornblower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 14:44   #9
I am Banned

As far as I am aware; the work has to be completed by 1st May 2009 and there has been no extension granted.

The better site to look at is Barnet's.

Their new stand at the bottom of the slope went up in about 8 weeks, during the winter.

Until we have had our local derby's ( Bradford, Rochdale and Bury) who will all bring 1k+ plus, we will need to keep disruption to the FES to a minimum.
southernred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 14:57   #10
Senior Member+

Of course I have no idea what the plans are and I'd never try to second guess what the club has in mind (who would?), but it would make sense to hang on a bit before jumping in.

You can bang up 900 seats relatively quickly if you need to and as SR says, it's best to keep disruption to a minimum until we've played the teams that will bring a lot of fans.
Old 12-08-2008, 15:12   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

theres some good sense in that T.M. all thats lacking is information from the club,to the people who have been supporting fer yonks.
Old 12-08-2008, 15:23   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
theres some good sense in that T.M. all thats lacking is information from the club,to the people who have been supporting fer yonks.
Very, very true. I'm off to Wolves now. I must be mental!!
Old 12-08-2008, 17:10   #13
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
Of course I have no idea what the plans are and I'd never try to second guess what the club has in mind (who would?), but it would make sense to hang on a bit before jumping in.

You can bang up 900 seats relatively quickly if you need to and as SR says, it's best to keep disruption to a minimum until we've played the teams that will bring a lot of fans.
That eases my paranioa no end TM...hope it's an accurate assessment !!..problem solved!..GET IT UP !!.

p.s.Alfred.E thinks that your new Avatar is wonderful!!
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 17:41   #14
Full Member+

Again I'm no construction expert, but do have an intrest in football grounds. Seein that the facilities are pretty basic now, I would assume that the new stand would be just a bit of steel work and concrete slabs with seats on and concourse to the rear like the rest of the ground, open to the elements with portacabin toilets and a burger van 'wheeled' in. Which would take no time at all once the foundations are in place.

Like I said in a previous 'new stand' thread (theres been a few I know) the clayton end roof looks as though it can be lifted easily if there was any need to extend the terrace further back? I say this because I can't see why the club have paid for a large steel girder (known as the goalpost structure) to hold up a small 5-6 metre roof when a lightweight tube cantilever would surely have been alot cheaper?

I say this because the club would probably build the stand in a way so it can be extended and added to if needed to??

Just my theory?
fatgaz182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 19:46   #15
Senior Member+

One thing the new stand can be is open to the elements. It has to have a roof of some form, unless you mean the ends as the open bits. Your probably right though about the toilets and burger van. Why not do something like Macclesfield did, it makes more sense but would take longer to build. also put the changing rooms under the new stand with some form of platform for the TV crew.

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..