Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-08-2004, 18:21   #1

Anyone travelling to Stevenage?

Hi everyone, new poster here. I have lived in Cambridgeshire for the last 5 years.

I'm actually a Man City season ticket holder although I follow the fortunes of Stanley very closely. I always drive to Accrington before City's home matches and meet a few of my friends in the Swan.

Anyway for any Stanley fans coming down to Stevenage this Saturday don't come down the M6 M1, it's an absolute nightmare, the best and easiest route is M62 to Ferrybridge the just follow the A1 south then leave the A1M at Jun 7 (not J 8) the ground is sign posted lots of free parking and the ground is one of the best outside the football league. There are lots of small towns just of the A1 that you can pop into on the way down or way back home for a bite to eat like St Neots and Biggleswade, some really good chippies in these towns for an after match bite except for the Harry ramsdens in St Neots, don't bother with that.
Hope to pop over myself

Steve
Accy exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-08-2004, 20:47   #2
God Member

Re: Anyone travelling to Stevenage?

Cheers for the drive tips..I am driving down this season .. Went last season and I wasnt the only one impressed..
Old 15-08-2004, 21:46   #3
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accy exile
There are lots of small towns just of the A1 that you can pop into on the way down or way back home for a bite to eat like St Neots and Biggleswade, some really good chippies in these towns for an after match bite except for the Harry ramsdens in St Neots, don't bother with that.Steve
But I've heard the police in St Neots are a thuggish bunch.... my brother is one of them.
Old 16-08-2004, 13:08   #4
I am Banned

Whilst the directions to Stevenage are spot on, beaware there are 2 sets of roadworks on A1; a set at Wittering and a set at Newark. Speed cameras and big queues most of time!!

Maybe a better suggestion will be M6 + M6toll ( avoid M6 roadworks) and A14 to A1 and then south.

I reckon in a car 3 hours from Accy.
southernred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2004, 15:21   #5
Resting In Peace

I have been told quite a few different ways to travel. Last season I went M6, M1, through Luton, Al(M) to Stevenage. Anybody know of any reason not to travel this way but including M6 toll ?
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2004, 16:07   #6
God Member

Sounds like M6 Toll and Turn left at Luton is better. that A14 is a long way across. could be at Luton by the time across to A1

3hrs? hmmm thats 40 minutes for JEFF then

Invaluable info here people..ta
Old 16-08-2004, 17:48   #7
Senior Member+

M6 toll is £3 a car (it went up today!).
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2004, 20:16   #8

I used the A14-M6-M6 TOLL-M6 on Saturday for the City Fulham game, and it took me 5 hours to get up, came home on the M62-A1 and it took me 3 hours 10 mins to grt home to St Ives in Cambridgeshire, please note that the holiday season is still very much on and the M6 is an absolute nightmare in both directions
Accy exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2004, 21:08   #9

Another way is m6, a500 (second turn off) a50 past to the m1 then a14 and a1. (my perents were held up for 45 minutes at the road works on the a1 at newark on friday)
rishton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2004, 08:41   #10
Senior Member+

a1 is a b@stard at the mo I would avoid it like a barrow fan
Old 17-08-2004, 10:20   #11
God Member

Go on the Loweiys lucky bus and let someone else worry about the traffic.. sit back, relax, enjoy a film or a game of cards, read a book or whatever takes your fancy. Next thing you know your at the match .

Yeagh yeagh I am in car... But I am going somewhere else as well
Old 17-08-2004, 12:13   #12
Senior Member+

cheers kipax you beat me top it

still some seats available for the trip
Old 18-08-2004, 12:37   #13
Junior Member+

if you do come down the M1, it's much quicker to come off at J12 and go through Barton-le-clay and Hitchin to Stevenage, rather than having to go through Luton on a Saturday afternoon!
have a safe trip down lads.

by the way, we heard off of your scout last night that Prenderghast is out injured. is this true, or is he just feigning it? we had some good fun planned!
Andy C (SBFC) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2004, 12:44   #14
God Member

Rory sat out the second of his two match ban last night. However his injury that has kept him out the the pre season games makes him doubtfull for saturday I would have thought.

Your at the bottom of the table with no points and your biggest problem is wondering if a certain player will be there so you can abuse him.... Funny old world eh
Old 18-08-2004, 13:04   #15
Junior Member+

ah, i like the conference too much, i didn't want to go up anyway! :-)

hopefully we'll start to gel at some point before christmas, and the players show a bit of what they did pre-season!
Andy C (SBFC) is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..