Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-07-2005, 23:06   #1
Senior Member+

Arnold Town 2-2 Stanley

Paul Mullin was partnered up front by St Vincent international and former Torquay, Crewe, Rushden and Oldham striker, Rodney Jack, who recently scored Wrexham's third goal after Lee McEvilly's second against Liverpool. Stanley had the better of the first half with goals from Jagielka and Barry. Rocky and Flynn looked solid in front of Stuart Jones.

Phil Starbuck's side came into it more in the second half and scored what might have been a consolation goal had Accy not immediately given away a penalty that Arnold happily converted to the cheers of the home fans.

A slight worry is the injury to Paul Mullin midway through the first half (see Kipax's pics). I hope it's nothing more than a slight knock.

Last edited by MikeA; 26-07-2005 at 23:22.
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-07-2005, 23:20   #2
God Member

Re: Arnold Town 2-2 Stanley

Spoke to paul just after the game and he said not a worry.. just needs a rest

thought jacks played exteremely well

got back to accy at 10 to 12......... what about you smiffy and fearon.. what time ?
Old 26-07-2005, 23:33   #3

This was a game of two halves in which Stanley scored two well worked goals in the first half against a team four levels below them in the national football pyramid. They could have had two more. One shot from directly in front of the goal just outside the penalty area nearly broke the metal crossbar.

The second half was different because of an improved Arnold Town, and because some of our better players were substituted, as a result of which we hardly had a sniff of goal. Towards the end of a half in which Stanley could not get going, and possibly thought the match was won anyway, Arnold scored twice. So it wasn’t won, just as it wasn’t towards the end of last season when we were 2-0 up at Burton Albion and survived for a 2-2 draw, two points dropped in a match which virtually ensured that we did not get promoted.

Three questions. When did a football team manager last take his team from Unibond Division One to the Football League? When will Stanley learn that a half time lead is not game over? Why does Paul Cook get a game in our team? Playing him is like playing with ten men against eleven because he is too slow for this level of football. Opposing players, maybe fifteen years younger than him, run past him with ease. Both Arnold’s goals were scored after he came on. This supporter will not be inclined to watch Stanley if he is going to play this forthcoming season.
wporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2005, 00:36   #4
Senior Member+

Just got back about 30mins ago
Cafu01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2005, 03:14   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wporter
Why does Paul Cook get a game in our team?
That didn't take very long, did it? Not even all the way through the pre-season schedule and we've already got a "Why does Cook play?" post.
MichiganRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2005, 07:04   #6

This supporter will not be inclined to watch Stanley if he is going to play this forthcoming season.[/QUOTE]

Well chuff off then pretty simple really. Don't bother coming if you have that attitude.

WAS A GREAT DAY FOR ENGLISH FOOTBALL................................

ACCRINGTON STANLEY ARE BACK....
Cammy ASFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2005, 07:38   #7
Senior Member+

Hmmm... Rodney Jack certainly has a pedigree, but he hasn't played much first team football recently.

Apparently he played only 10 games for Oldham last season, the last one was last October, due to injuries and they cancelled his contract in April. He was on trial at Wrexham this preseason, who obviously aren't looking to keep him if he played for us last night.

He's 32 now, but if he's fit and raring to go again, maybe he could do a job for us? According to Oldham fans he plays best with a 'big forward' who can flick the ball on for him, so maybe he could form a partnership with Mullin?

Last edited by Tin Monkey; 27-07-2005 at 07:39.
Tin Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2005, 08:22   #8
Senior Member+

justin who?

just a thought
Old 27-07-2005, 09:33   #9
God Member

Rodney jacks played against accy in barbados... Based on this and other stories I did ask about his age last night but no one seemed to know....

I will say that by half time.. every accy fan I spoke to where in agreement that he looked very good.... even based on that game and now knowing his age.. I would be more upbeat if I heard he has signed..

Also noted that the new goalie had the number 1 shirt... looks like danny will be the understudy again..... have to say new goalie did look good enough

I know there only friendlies... but played six and not won any.. even against poor opposition.. I worry what that does for team morale.
Old 27-07-2005, 10:10   #10
Senior Member+

we are saving it for wigan kipax
Old 27-07-2005, 10:46   #11
Senior Member+

I must admit to being surprised that we didn't win last night, especially against a team 4(?) leagues below us.

They say that winning is a habit. Maybe we need to start before the season begins?
Old 27-07-2005, 11:31   #12
Senior Member+

Had a long chat with Rodney after the game just before we set off home and he told me that he's still on trial with Wrexham and Rodney has till Friday to make a decision whether he wants to sign for them. Coley has apparently offered Rodney a contract so if he has definately got another offer and one to fall back on. He seemed very happy with our setup, he told me he liked the management and the players he said he would definately come here.......and by the way he was speaking to us it sounded like he wanted to turn down Wrexham and come here!

He will be playing for us against Wigan next Wednesday.

Well yesterdays performance......First half we dominated as expected, we played very well and looked the better side. Both the goals were sweet strikes one from Jaggers and one from Anthony Barry very good goals and Ian Craney (Curry) was very unlucky with his 25 yard lightening strike which nearly snapped the crossbar!... The second half was poor, team took it like a stroll in the park and the effort and determination level was poor totally different to the first half. We should of really done a lot better. But all credit to Arnold they came out in the second half and played some good football and deserved to pull the game back to 2-2.......

Maybe we'll see the first WIN at Dundonald on Saturday! I hope so!!

Last edited by Smiffy16; 27-07-2005 at 12:20.
Smiffy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2005, 12:40   #13
Resting In Peace

Wrexham are only allowed to sign 20 players of professional standing under the rules of administration. They have already signed 18 so maybe Rodney Jack will not be offered a contracy by them.
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2005, 13:00   #14
Senior Member+

He has been offered a contract by Wrexham so he told me and Fearon last night and has till Friday to decide......From the way he was telling us about Wrexham it didnt look like he wanted to sign for them and he wanted to come here...
Old 27-07-2005, 13:04   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
Playing him is like playing with ten men against eleven because he is too slow for this level of football. Opposing players, maybe fifteen years younger than him, run past him with ease. Both Arnold’s goals were scored after he came on. This supporter will not be inclined to watch Stanley if he is going to play this forthcoming season.
Which one was you at the game then?????

You obviously aren't a supporter of ASFC! how can you say you are not going to support us just becasue Paul Cook, who didnt do one thing wrong yesterday, played in a PRE-SEASON FRIENDLY as Cammy said you have a fantastic attitude!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..