Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2010, 19:04   #16
God Member

Re: Barnet Match OFF!!

Snow forecast for tomorrow, hope its not too much or saturdays game will be in doubt.

"IF" the Barnet match is played on the 3rd of March that will mean we play every Saturday and Tuesday up to the 20th of March

Mab, thats Ok for emptying a pit full of water but won't be any good for surface water on a pitch

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-02-2010, 23:08   #17
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanleymad View Post
No way it was going to be on with the rainfall today tho gutted its off but thats typical of the weather to spoil things, tho im sure stanley would love redraines lawn lol
Posted via Mobile Device
I'll strip and deliver the turves tomorrow.
Seriously, the point is that it is not extreme wet weather that is causing most of our postponements, but normal weather for this time of the year. My worry is that the pitch drainage seems now to be so damaged that only a very unseasonal spell of dry weather will enable us to avoid even more postponements through the next 2 or 3 months, leaving us with an impossible fixture list to complete.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 23:27   #18
Senior Member+

Nice idea Mab, but you would need water approximately 6 inches deep before these are any use. Similar to the equipment we use in the Fire Service which are no use to anything less than 6 inches. Mop and bucket is the only solution or a bigger squeegee machine similar to one used at cricket grounds that is engine driven.

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 23:37   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraine View Post
I'll strip and deliver the turves tomorrow.
Seriously, the point is that it is not extreme wet weather that is causing most of our postponements, but normal weather for this time of the year. My worry is that the pitch drainage seems now to be so damaged that only a very unseasonal spell of dry weather will enable us to avoid even more postponements through the next 2 or 3 months, leaving us with an impossible fixture list to complete.
We could always play our remaining fictures at Ewood or the Turf. What's it like to see top of the table football
Mr Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 00:32   #20

lots of little club in over legaue grounds passed . bamber b game . we need the drans doing right or we will not get to see any footy at accy .... pus we still got loads of res games burlney res pus tin pot cup ..... move sum of accy res to afc darwin or padhiam
Grimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:51   #21
Senior Member+

I think the current problem stems from the extreme weather conditions (in this area) we've seen over recent months rather than the last few days. The ladies team play on Wilsons Playing Fields which has not been fit to play on since 25th october (although it is fit now i believe) due to waterlogging, frost, snow and more waterlogging.

The weather since mid october has been abysmal, the game the ladies did play in on the 25th october was nearly abandoned after 10 minutes due to the standing water and the torrential rain coming down, I've seen dryer conditions at mud wrestling!!!

All this rain then the spectacular amount of snow we had (for the area) means that the water table in the area is massively higher than it normally would be at this time of year, combine that with the poor drainage of the pitch (even with the emergency measures taken) and Buzzer is fighting a losing battle. Big time!!!!!

Unfortunately for us this is causing a backlog of games, the likes of which we've never seen!!

I'm confident that the pitch will be in for a major overhaul at the end of the season, but until then we're just gonna have to stick it out and pray for a heat wave!!!!

We're not the only sufferers!!

Rain's a pain not just for Accrington Stanley (From Lancashire Telegraph)
sparkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 13:25   #22
Senior Member+

Yep, sparkie is right, its the water just under the surface that is the problem. You don't see it but as soon as there is any rain then it stays!

All that snow doesn't just disappear when it melts.....

The Voice of the Terrace

www.stanleyultras.co.uk

Willie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 14:18   #23
God Member

Then add to that the pitch was frozen the day before the heavy rain, that won't seep away as normal, it won't seep through frozen soil hence the standing water
Welcome to sunny England

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..