Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2019, 17:38   #16
God Member

Re: Barnsley thread

Not exactly surprised with the result today, I reckon Barnsley are the best team I've seen at the Crown this season - just disappointed with the manor of the goals
Hopefully we'll bring my something home from Wycombe on Tuesday & finally win at home against Rochdale next week, if we can do that things can start to look a bit more positive
monkey hanger likes this.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-03-2019, 17:41   #17

Just got back yes agree chevyfire we did so well the first 40min shame we didn't go in nill nill at half time mad five minutes.shame we didn't put our chances away in the early stages of the 2nd half.or well move on to Tuesday night
Old 10-03-2019, 10:26   #18
Senior Member+

Barnsley are a strong side.
I expected us to struggle to get anything so I’m not going to be worried about the result - it’s about the performance.
Initially baffled by the team selection.
If it’s right that Gibson was first choice but taken ill then maybe playing Wood had to happen.
The lad however had a bit of a nightmare.
I would have gone with Big Ben.
Up front we’ve got major problems.
Billy out of form, Armstrong not strong enough for me in hold up play, Smyth lightweight so needs to be used in a certain way and then there is the enigma that is Zanzala.
I want to see us solid on Tuesday and come back with at least a point.
The pressure is building but 9 points from Wycombe Rochdale Plymouth and Walsall and we’re over the line.
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 10:58   #19

Agree with Armstrong he spent more time on the floor for a big lad.very poor with our free kicks and corners why alway go short when the defenders come up for them.gave the ball away with every free kick yesterday gave them chance to counter why? Need at least a point on Tuesday
Old 10-03-2019, 14:59   #20
God Member

Need something from Wycombe's place Tuesday or the pressure is really on against Rochdale Saturday pity Dimi got himself sent off against Blackpool was looking good but we need to settle down at the back and stop conceding soft goals upfront though is the real problem and has been for a while nobody looks confident in front of goal when it's needed don,t know what the best options are because apart from Simmonds who signed in the window we have played them all but a answer needs to be found otherwise we will be sucked into the bottom 4.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 17:16   #21

Thought we did ok against for me the best team in the league I’ve seen by far. We had a few excellent chances and need to put them away to have any chance but I always felt they had another gear in the second half if they needed it.

Failure to finish our chances is what’s ultimately cost us all season. One of the lowest scorers, yet one of the highest chance creators says it all.

Big few games now, don’t fear anyone who we’ve got left and on our day we can take points off them all. Just got to hope it’ll be our day sooner rather than later.
cashman, pifco, chevyfire and 3 others like this.
ASFC1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 19:49   #22
Full Member+

Hope Gibson isn't ill with his past troubles
Spartacus2nd likes this.
ferret man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 08:07   #23
God Member

it does not help the defence for me when you play either keeper who is no way a division 1 player for me. in the games i,ve seen there are many more mistakes being made by all our defenders than when ripley was with us. with this and our inability to score things do not look very good. need 4 points out of the next two games. two defeats will put us right in the manure.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 10:47   #24
Full Member+

Thought I'd give it a few days before posting to see if I agreed with what others thought.
The difference between the two teams was large - Barnsley were superb.
In the nicest way of saying it, they looked like footballers - we did not.
Quick, strong and direct - no wonder they are one of the favorites to go up.

Sam Finley was by a country mile the stand out player for us. Battled well in the midfield - tracked back well but was always keen to receive the ball and move it forward. I
StanleyJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 11:02   #25
Full Member+

Thought I'd give it a few days before posting to see if I agreed with what others thought.
The difference between the two teams was clear - Barnsley weren't at their best but I honestly thought even without the sloppy 2 goals we gave them they would have ramped it up anyway and won.
In the nicest way of saying it, they looked like footballers - we did not.
Quick, strong and direct - no wonder they are one of the favorites to go up.

Sam Finley was by a country mile the stand out player for us. Battled well in the midfield - tracked back well but was always keen to receive the ball and move it forward. If only others in that role were taking note!

Not a huge fan of Maxted but he wasn't helped at all by some comical defending. Felt his shot stopping in general was good and we should probably thank him for keeping it at only 2-0. He just lacks stature and being a commanding figure in the box. Too many times he's been caught out by crosses or 1 on 1's.

Will Wood could hardly get in Havant & Waterloovilles team so how he started for us at left wing back for us I am baffled. I've been vocal before in slating Big Ben and whilst he isn't the best at left back....I would of started him instead, at least he has game time. In fact, I'd of even played Danny Williams ahead of Will Wood.
I understand Liam Gibson was taken ill and was Coley's initial plan to start - I do wonder if his fitness played a huge part in us only loaning him in when Newcastle where prepared to allow us him on a permanent for free.

Harvey showed glimpses of his old self - I actually quite liked him playing more central although I did get a little excited in the second half when he went on a mazy run down the right hand side and crossed , just like old times 'ey!!

Clicker and Sean were average, both worked hard but, as with alot of games this season, tried to over do it rather than playing the simple ball - I don't think this new formation suits them at all . Was surprised Clicker was subbed however, thought his pace would have been a better attribute to keep on over Sean's experience.

Surprised how deep Armstrong was dropping to receive the ball - especially as the lone striker. 50-50 if that was poor positional play from him - or just poor from the midfield not doing their jobs.

Smyth and Kee both guilty for missing golden opportunities. Smyth was unlucky not to hit the target although perhaps playing it square for a tap in was a better opportunity. Clear to me that Billy didn't realise how much time he had when he thundered one wide after somehow beating both the defenders and offside trap - it went in slow motion to everyone in the ground apart from Billy who rushed his shot.

Zanzala made little contribution, he seems intent on playing his game using his strength, but seems to have little of it judging by the number of times he was barged off the ball. I would love him to do well and can understand his frustration not playing as much as he would like, but he really needs to make more of an impact to force his way back in to the team.

Tuesday and Saturday now massive - hopefully by 4.45pm Saturday afternoon we'll have 6 points, be enjoying winners hour and every little thing will be alright
Old 11-03-2019, 12:02   #26
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Love Rocket View Post
Agree with Armstrong he spent more time on the floor for a big lad.
He's been training with 'Goldenboy' you know!
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 16:30   #27
Senior Member+

Clicker and Sean were average, both worked hard but, as with alot of games this season, tried to over do it rather than playing the simple ball - I don't think this new formation suits them at all . Was surprised Clicker was subbed however, thought his pace would have been a better attribute to keep on over Sean's experience.

Fully in agreement mate. Didn't say as such for fear of being accused of favouritism.
StanleyJosh likes this.
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 17:20   #28

“Know your players” springs to mind. I’d have kept Clicker on, not only for his pace but it’s his first team and for me the game was lost before half time. Why make him a fall guy ?

We all seem to be commenting on missed chances or poor defending. Barnsley have to get thru our midfield to get to our defence, something they achieved far too easily, the second goal is an example, a nothing challenge in midfield (one of many) allowed them to gain possession 30 yards out, play it wide and then the cross comes in.

Last year we were solid and workmanlike, I don’t see that as a collective, just individuals.
Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 19:43   #29
Full Member+

The gap between midfield and defence is huge at times.
Most the time the players are chasing the ball too much, too slow getting forward, by the time they offer themselves we have lost possession and then we are out of position defensively. The midfielders run back, by the time they get back we have either conceded, or won the ball back, pumped it forward and back to square 1 with no midfield options.

Fully agree about being a collective last season. Didnt have the best players but everything just clicked. As you say, too many ‘individuals’this year. Loans probably don’t help

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..