Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-10-2011, 16:44   #1
God Member

Belated, half-arsed Swindon thread

Let's face it, we were beaten by a very good footballing side today. However we didn't help ourselves at all. We were pants.

Thought Coley was right to take Kurtis off at half time (though would've been better having some forethought and not starting him) as he's out of his depth. He's not yet good enough for league football. Why Coley took Amond off however is a mystery to me. Had we played with Amond up top rather than Craney for the second half, we may have looked more promising up there, but as it was we were absolutely lacking any threat. Deano's clearly injured. Joycey's role has been figured out and was ineffective.

Erm, positives? Dobie looked a player. Murphy played well. Di Canio made me laugh.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-10-2011, 17:14   #2
God Member

Re: Belated, half-arsed Swindon thread

I've never been a Procter fan but I must say I agree with the comment from the back of the main stand as he was substituted. "And Craney stays on!"

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2011, 17:20   #3
God Member

We were very, very poor - no direction!! Plus points, there were none, cannot agree about Murph!!!!

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2011, 17:37   #4

we were poor is an understatement! we were shocking! we had no goal threat what so ever an would not have scored in a month of sundays. we have no quality going forward an the defence can only soak up enough pressure before its inevitable that the other team are going to score, felt sorry for long an winnard today.
pidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2011, 17:38   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALAIRIAN
cannot agree about Murph!!!!
Coleman's been looking for an adopted love-child since Rocky left.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2011, 18:06   #6

we just werent at the races today although swindon are a decent side. Why was Murdoch dropped? Found this strange. The new lads looked good.
beardedstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2011, 18:13   #7
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

Just in....Io sono swindon impresario Paulo de Canio!! Ed ai piacerebbe ringraziare Accrington Stanley per 3pts oggi...
Old 15-10-2011, 18:34   #8
Resting in Peace

A thoroughly depressing afternoon, and I must apologise to Valarian and his mate for my language, as I got more and more frustrated as the match went on. It was obvious to me from Wednesday night that Joyce and Proccy are below par at the moment, and to see Charlie and Coid on the bench was a real sickener. Proccy looks lost in the more advanced role he has been playing recently, and Joyce's form has disappeared. If Coley wanted the Reds to burst out of the blocks to ensure a better first half than we usually have, then that hope went out of the window as Swindon buzzed around our static midfield from the kick off, and kept the pressure on for the next 45 minutes. We are generally poor at building attacks when under pressure, and the first half was a classic demonstration of how we struggle. Misplaced passes, balls constantly hit straight into touch and hoofball clearances resulted in Swindon on the front foot almost continually. I know we haven't a pot to pee in, and can't attract the more skillful players, but surely we can do better than this?.
It is depressing to see Proccy so demoralised and ineffective, but I hope Coley is not playing him out of position in order to accommodate Murphy in midfield? Bad idea. Worrying times.

Last edited by Stanleymad; 16-10-2011 at 12:29. Reason: language *
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2011, 18:53   #9
God Member

The above post sums it up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2011, 19:11   #10
Senior Member+

Not good enough really,you could make half-hearted excuses like mid-week game,grass looked liked it needed cutting,few players carrying injuries,but the reality is teams have sussed us out.
Make us go long and theres a good chance you will get something out the game.
Last few years you have had Mullens,Symes and Gornell to hold the ball up,now were relying on a young inexperienced lads.
If you dont hold the ball up,it kills your runners,and players stop making them.
First half,Proccy and Almond in to give us width?,Craney sat in the hole and staying there!,and Gutherie just got bullied.
The defence looked hesitant to say the least,and were stretched in all directions.
They were a decent team,who worked hard,and kept there shape,but too many players under-performed today
A bad day at the office.
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2011, 19:12   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Thought Swindon were a damn good side, never sat back on a 2 goal lead,played footy until the death.! having said that i saw no commitement at all from stanley this afternoon, Balls played up in the air,which only the giant No4 fer swindon was ever gonna win, apart from n obvious penalty,that was ignored by the ref n pillock of a linesman,( who must be training to be a ref)we never created a worthwhile chance in the game, agree Guthrie aint up to league standard so far, thought Proccy n Murphy were abysmal, my Man Of Match would have to be De-Canio, cos he entertained me if nowt else.
Old 16-10-2011, 00:11   #12
Junior Member+

Worst performance I've seen from Stanley - Totally devoid of creativity, no positional awareness and a bad habit of hoofing the ball up to a lone Guthrie surrounded by a crowd of black Swindon shirts. He isn't a player who's suited to holding up long balls, especially when the increasingly ineffective Craney doesn't offer support.

I can't say one way or the other as to whether Guthrie is up to playing up front as the service and support he gets is pretty dire. You can't question his effort though which is more than can be said of a few other players out there.

On the other hand Swindon were very good - they were first to every ball and even when they went ahead, looked hungry for more. If they play like that every week they'll do well this season.
Lewi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 11:36   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardedstanley View Post
we just werent at the races today although swindon are a decent side. Why was Murdoch dropped? Found this strange. The new lads looked good.
Dunbavin played very well on Wednesday against Tranmere and deserved a start. He played well yesterday too, even though he didn't have much to do. Murdoch wouldn't have done anything different.
Old 16-10-2011, 11:55   #14
God Member

I'm surprised that Lindfield isn't playing. He's played really well in the games he's featured in this season, offering us some direct attacking threat that we don't have at the moment.

I think there's a big problem with the shape we're playing and tactics we're using at home. All the opposition have to do it send a scout up, see that we put all our play through Luke Joyce, mark him out of the game and hey presto we have nothing.

I'd like to see us mix things up and play 4-4-2 at home, or maybe 4-4-1-1, just to bring some width to our game that we're crying out for.

Something like:

Murdoch/Dunbavin
Murphy Long Hessey Winnard
Lindfield Joyce Procter Dobie
Craney
Amond

I don't know; Coley's the one who sees all the players every day and knows what they're capable of. But it's clear something needs to change. We're not winning away so we can't let our confidence at home disappear like it did yesterday.
Old 16-10-2011, 11:57   #15
Senior Member+

I agree,thought Dunbavin did ok.
Interesting to read Swindon brought in 4 loanees yesterday,to give them a bit more energy,it certainly worked,as we were made to look pedestrian at times,is this the avenue Coley may go down as we seem to be gathering a few loanees ???
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..