Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1595Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-07-2018, 10:48   #136
Senior Member+

Re: Bits & Bobs

[QUOTE=monkey hanger;1214991]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Eight View Post
I made the point before about Andy's often over exposure and candour on social media and got shot down in flames.

prefer a chairman and anyone else in football to be candid and not say what people just want to hear them say. i,d rather be shot down in flames myself than just follow what the majority think if i think they are wrong.

So what have they done wrong ?
Its not a sin to be wealthy and spend your money how you choose is it ?
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-07-2018, 10:49   #137
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Morse View Post
It is a shame Holt isn't a Stanley fan or else he would remember Stanley being bank rolled into the league.

Lucky no one in the national media picked up on this yet.

Great point mate.
Old 21-07-2018, 10:50   #138
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Gary Neville has always been a big headed pillock, can understand you liking him.
Old 21-07-2018, 13:10   #139
Senior Member+

Sorry ?
Who said I like Gary Neville ?
It’s sad that you can call someone that.
You don’t even know me.
Wouldn’t dream of making assumptions about you.
Old 22-07-2018, 08:34   #140
God Member

[QUOTE=Twenty Eight;1214996]
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post

So what have they done wrong ?
Its not a sin to be wealthy and spend your money how you choose is it ?
done nothing wrong legally but if it is the salford spending you are on about it makes a mockery of non league football. do not worry though as some other side who has been in existance for years and have not changed their identity will surely try to copy salford and end up going bust because they cannot compete at the end of the day.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 09:21   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
It is a shame Holt isn't a Stanley fan or else he would remember Stanley being bank rolled into the league.
This is unfair on both counts.

Precisely which club Andy Holt grew up watching and/or supporting is a moot point. He is now our owner and one of our highest-profile supporters because he got involved at the margins and in so doing realised the uniqueness of Stanley and what would be lost if it went out of business.

Given that Stanley were playing in front of 300 diehards when Andy was a kid, it suggests to me that the majority of the 1500 or so who now turn up at the Crown on a regular basis have had a similar realisation.

As for being bankrolled into the League, this just isn’t the case given the usual meaning of the term in this context. Stanley did receive two windfalls, but both were football-related. One was the money from the Brett Ormerod transfer to Southampton, and the other was the 2003 FA Cup run, the latter enabling them to go full-time. From thereon in, the club was always struggling to meet the costs of a full-time operation, even before promotion to the League.

Unlike the typical bankrolled operation from the grass roots (Rushden & Diamonds, Crawley, Fleetwood, Forest Green, AFC Fylde, Eastleigh, Salford) reaching the Football League was never the raison d’etre for Stanley. Eric’s stated ambition of reaching the Conference and playing at Wembley seemed to suggest a businessman’s calculation as to what level of football the club could sustain given its support. The Conference win of 2006 wasn’t expected and the club simply wasn’t ready. The celebration of reaching ten years in the League is testament to how difficult it has been. So a long way from a bankrolled operation.
AccyMad, cashman, mab and 3 others like this.
Phil Whalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 09:49   #142
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Whalley View Post
This is unfair on both counts.

Precisely which club Andy Holt grew up watching and/or supporting is a moot point. He is now our owner and one of our highest-profile supporters because he got involved at the margins and in so doing realised the uniqueness of Stanley and what would be lost if it went out of business.

Given that Stanley were playing in front of 300 diehards when Andy was a kid, it suggests to me that the majority of the 1500 or so who now turn up at the Crown on a regular basis have had a similar realisation.

As for being bankrolled into the League, this just isn’t the case given the usual meaning of the term in this context. Stanley did receive two windfalls, but both were football-related. One was the money from the Brett Ormerod transfer to Southampton, and the other was the 2003 FA Cup run, the latter enabling them to go full-time. From thereon in, the club was always struggling to meet the costs of a full-time operation, even before promotion to the League.

Unlike the typical bankrolled operation from the grass roots (Rushden & Diamonds, Crawley, Fleetwood, Forest Green, AFC Fylde, Eastleigh, Salford) reaching the Football League was never the raison d’etre for Stanley. Eric’s stated ambition of reaching the Conference and playing at Wembley seemed to suggest a businessman’s calculation as to what level of football the club could sustain given its support. The Conference win of 2006 wasn’t expected and the club simply wasn’t ready. The celebration of reaching ten years in the League is testament to how difficult it has been. So a long way from a bankrolled operation.
Stanley started getting 3,000 coming up to the 2006 promotion and Holt wasn't a fan then.

When you see the players Stanley were signing and the premier league loans etc it was clear money was being pumped in for the promotion going from 10th to 10 points clear at the top, and the BO money would not have touched the sides as stanley accepted less so he would be sold, so about £2/250k? which is nothing.

Stanley were never going to make it out of the NPL without money, never mind into the league, as I don't think any club ever does. Everyone in football knows this but Holt.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 20:02   #143
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

KiTChener and cashman like this.
Old 22-07-2018, 20:11   #144
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

Old 23-07-2018, 07:52   #145
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mab View Post
nice to hear a couple of blokes talking sense about football. pity some on the tele. cannot do it.
KiTChener and cashman like this.
Old 23-07-2018, 08:15   #146
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Thought Traore was a magnificent talent, a joy to watch.
Old 27-07-2018, 16:08   #147

confined to my armchair with a bug, I took to browsing a few old progs I have retained. Looking at the table published in the Aldershot away game in 1962 : of the other 23 clubs only 1 (Millwall) are playing in a higher league than us this season : 4 we will be meeting : 7 will play L2 and 11 are now somewhere in the non-league pyramid. Little ol Accy, eh ! C'mon U Redddddds. Where's me tablets ?
'
LongLostSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2018, 16:35   #148
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Reckon thats a very interesting stat well done, hope yer well soon.
Old 28-07-2018, 08:37   #149
God Member

[QUOTE=LongLostSon 11 are now somewhere in the non-league pyramid. Little ol Accy, eh ! C'mon U Redddddds. Where's me tablets ?
'[/QUOTE]

took stanley 44 years to get back. others like barrow and bradford park avenue have been out of the league longer and have never been close to getting back. be surprised if clubs like stockport or halifax will ever get back in my lifetime either. accy not that little.
KiTChener, cashman and mab like this.
Old 30-07-2018, 08:24   #150
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Sean Mac has signed a new 3 year deal, that can only be a good thing for the squad to see imho.
monkey hanger likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..