Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1595Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2019, 11:48   #301
Senior Member+

Re: Bits & Bobs

Main concern to me is all this investment is in the site ....... but what about on the pitch ?
All well and good having a nice ground ...........
Getting a bit tired of "Coley will unearth a diamond as usual"
Where is the scouting infrastructure ?
I'm hoping John gets support and a healthy budget at the end of the season and we can get away from this consistent high percentage of loan deals.
Lord Stiffupperlip likes this.
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-02-2019, 12:30   #302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Eight View Post
Main concern to me is all this investment is in the site ....... but what about on the pitch ?
I'm hoping John gets support and a healthy budget at the end of the season and we can get away from this consistent high percentage of loan deals.
Do we actually have a scouting system 28?
As we don't have the funds to snap up potential talent - even non-league teams expect a £1m for their players these days; we will always be reliant on the rejects, free agents & loans.
Even when we produce our own talent via the academy, the gems are poached by the big-boys before they've kicked a ball for the senior team.
Fully agree with your sentiments. We may survive this season but without better quality players, I doubt we'll get away with it next year.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 13:02   #303
God Member

Quote:
We can't have extra investment on the pitch without extra income the cup runs this season have been added to the playing budget I believe player sales on ground improvement one day the work will be finished and hopefully better facilities, clubhouse and office,s plus new training ground to benefit on the field performances will ultimately lead to 7 day week all year round income streams that will create bigger budgets, hopefully Coleman and players can keep in this level and go on to greater things.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 13:07   #304
Senior Member+

You're missing the point. We've built a stand, will be building new changing rooms soon etc etc so the answer has to be yes the money is there ...... just the choice of where to invest.
You don't get promotions and you don't have cup runs without a team.
Chicken or the egg.
We've been found out this season.
There has to be a semblance of balance.
Old 07-02-2019, 13:40   #305
God Member

Quote:
You're missing the point. We've built a stand, will be building new changing rooms soon etc etc so the answer has to be yes the money is there ...... just the choice of where to invest.
You don't get promotions and you don't have cup runs without a team.
Chicken or the egg.
We've been found out this season.
There has to be a semblance of balance.
No I ain't I have been going Stanley for a long while and quite frankly the ground had become embarrassing countless postponed matches as the pitch was frankly knackered you could have put the money into the playing budget and couldn't create a decent surface for them we were bankrupt till Mr Holt came along and in the 3 and a bit years since we have progressed if that isn't up to your liking or right priority's tough.
cashman likes this.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 18:31   #306
Super Moderator

Few quick points;

Pitch is "knackered" due to too many home Cup games and lack of TG; plus usual crap Accy weather

Capacity is nothing to do with HBC;

Our Safety Certificate is granted by LCC and SGSA who are totally "onside" with what we are doing

Coley, Jimmy and John Doolan are our "scouts"; they never stop!!
Mr T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 18:57   #307

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr T View Post

Capacity is nothing to do with HBC;

Our Safety Certificate is granted by LCC and SGSA who are totally "onside" with what we are doing
Im well aware who determines the capacity, but Andy said at a fans forum that the council would not allow any meaningful ground expansion, as the local roads and lack of parking wont allow it. If you know different I suggest you pass it on to AH

Quote:
Thats half a fair comment Mr 8, but we spent 20 years putting everything we had into the squad whilst neglecting the infrastructure. It nearly cost us our club ...
cashman and andyd like this.
Spartacus2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 19:53   #308
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus2nd View Post
Im well aware who determines the capacity, but Andy said at a fans forum that the council would not allow any meaningful ground expansion, as the local roads and lack of parking wont allow it. If you know different I suggest you pass it on to AH

Thats half a fair comment Mr 8, but we spent 20 years putting everything we had into the squad whilst neglecting the infrastructure. It nearly cost us our club ...
I know it’s a balancing act and let’s be right I’m not a long established die hard so it’s difficult for me to get into historical issues.
However that’s what it is - history.
For my limited time supporting the team home and away I would be appalled if we ended up with a neat and nice ground but a side mid table in League Two.
It took a monumental effort to get us to where we are but even the most blinkered fan must see we have to invest in the team.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 07-02-2019, 20:18   #309
Full Member+

Quote:
Highways issues are still LCC. HBC consult with LCC on Highways when
any PP or pre-app is submitted, and listen to what LCC say like all districts do. The same goes for any development.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 20:19   #310
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
I know it’s a balancing act and let’s be right I’m not a long established die hard so it’s difficult for me to get into historical issues.
For my limited time supporting the team home and away I would be appalled if we ended up with a neat and nice ground but a side mid table in League Two.
It took a monumental effort to get us to where we are but even the most blinkered fan must see we have to invest in the team.
Aye and will yeh still be here when certain people leave the club? somehow i dont think so.
Old 07-02-2019, 20:49   #311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Highways issues are still LCC. HBC consult with LCC on Highways when
any PP or pre-app is submitted, and listen to what LCC say like all districts do. The same goes for any development.
Tbf, iirc, it was tptb mentioned ...

So, abbreviations aside, 'the council' could be Lancashire or Hyndburn?

Its irrelevant who. The point is that he was told it is unlikely that we could significantly increase the capacity for yhe aforementioned reasons
Old 07-02-2019, 20:52   #312

Quote:

Me too, can you imagine the ignominy of having to watch lower league football every week? #shudderswithhorror

After watching league 2 football every week for 12 years, in 3rd world conditions, Im sure that FANS would adapt soon enough

Last edited by Spartacus2nd; 07-02-2019 at 20:54.
Old 07-02-2019, 21:00   #313

Quote:
However that’s what it is - history..
Well Michael, thankfully, there are enough people around the club who understand the virtue of history and learning its lessons.

We ejaculated all our money on players to survive in league 2, we did durvive but the cost of almost losing the club was too high for me. Id sooner sell the lot and gamble on the Youth team keeping us up. Relegation is a vanity issue.
Old 07-02-2019, 21:34   #314
Senior Member+

Quote:
Well Michael, thankfully, there are enough people around the club who understand the virtue of history and learning its lessons.

We ejaculated all our money on players to survive in league 2, we did durvive but the cost of almost losing the club was too high for me. Id sooner sell the lot and gamble on the Youth team keeping us up. Relegation is a vanity issue.
That’s fair enough and as long as everyone sees it that way the club will be “safe”
However only today Coley is talking about top two league one next season.
How can that be feasible without investment in the squad ?
Old 07-02-2019, 21:41   #315
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Aye and will yeh still be here when certain people leave the club? somehow i dont think so.
Do you know what ? That summarises the insular attitude when you’re trying to attract new supporters.
I’ve been home and away since 2014 and enjoyed most of it.
I’m semi retired now and see no reason why I wouldn’t carry on.
I’ve met some great people during that time.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..