Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree64Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2019, 11:07   #46
God Member

Re: Bratfud game thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeny View Post
The ref gave everything to Bradford, our 10 men were playing against 12 men. Yellow cards were so petty, yet Bradford players doing the same didn,t get cards. Bradford even got the throw in when it was them who have kicked the ball out.
A complete disgrace from the ref. We looked like a filthy team because or the bookings .
Hope that is the last of the bad bunch.
god help us if we have him at sunderland infront of an even bigger crowd. if you let a large crowd and a big ground affect you then being a football league referee is not for you. do not worry if the bad bunch means the inexperianced refs. then we,ll see the like again as we do seem to get more of our fair share of em.
KiTChener likes this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-01-2019, 14:14   #47

Their player taking an offside free kick in our half was wrong, but so trivial. One bloke behind me must have nearly had a stroke getting so bloody angry. It gained them all of 3 yards.

Often players don’t get booked for kicking the ball away. Maybe they should. However, Ripley clearly deserved to be booked for booting the ball away as it denied them a good opportunity and he did boot it away quite a distance.

Clark’s booking didn’t surprise me. You could hear the Bradford players shin pad getting a crack from the back of the stand.

In contrast, I thought Bradford were a much more disciplined team.

Yes, the ref was poor in my opinion but not biased
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 14:17   #48
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Well if you think not biased everyone i know including me must have been at a different game. aint saying some of ours were not deserved, but Bradford got away with loads before Zanzala was deservedly sent off.
Old 02-01-2019, 15:27   #49
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
Their player taking an offside free kick in our half was wrong, but so trivial. One bloke behind me must have nearly had a stroke getting so bloody angry. It gained them all of 3 yards.

Often players don’t get booked for kicking the ball away. Maybe they should. However, Ripley clearly deserved to be booked for booting the ball away as it denied them a good opportunity and he did boot it away quite a distance.

Clark’s booking didn’t surprise me. You could hear the Bradford players shin pad getting a crack from the back of the stand.

In contrast, I thought Bradford were a much more disciplined team.

Yes, the ref was poor in my opinion but not biased

I don't have any issues with referees applying the strict letter of the law ..... provided the referee remains consistent.
So when the Bradford player launches the ball into the stand well after the whistle was blown is that any different to Ripley ?
The Clark one was not a booking. The ref simply reacted to the crack from the shin pad.

Again with dissent why was Billy booked for protesting over the challenge on Finlay (given) but the 5 man mob jostling him after Zanzala's tackle was acceptable ?
I'm not going to suggest for one minute he set out to be biased.
As for the free kick in our half for the offside that is inept refereeing and again poor on the lino's part. Just because a fan vented his frustration shouldn't annoy you ....... its called passion for your club.
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 15:48   #50

I'm not a referee but have previously vented at the officials for allowing free kicks for off side to be taken inside the half way line. Apparently that's where you take it if at the point of the pass the player is in the opposing half (and offside) but then only becomes active when he either receives or moves towards the ball having run into their own half. Whilst i don't fully understand the rule , i have seen seasoned TV commentators spout the same incredulity and be corrected by the ex referee pundit on sky.

As for the sending off, what frustrated me was not their players surrounding the ref, but that ours didn't bother.
It took Clark to spot the potential red and run 20 yards to get amongst their players and the ref to fight Zanzala's corner.
Barlaser and Finley who were closest looked disinterested. I've just watched the highlights to verify my recollection from yesterday.
Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 16:02   #51
Senior Member+

That really sums up how ridiculous the offside rules have become. I would truly **** myself if a clearance got caught in the wind and Billy set off backwards finally becoming active in his own box.
Is that a penalty then ? Hahaha !
Thanks for the nod Simpson.
You learn something every day.
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 18:11   #52

Simpson is correct, the placement of an indirect free kick is from the point where the attacker interferes/plays the ball so therefore it can be in the oppositions half.
If the situation you mention Twenty Eight happens it would still be an indirect free kick in penalty area. Can't be a penalty as its indirect.
Hope this clears up that bit of confusion.
ASFC1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 22:16   #53

Don’t panic! Trying to put a bit of balance into things. We’ve been under par in the last 2 games and been well beaten, however, in balance, we’re mid table one level up from last season and learning at this level with a decent 3rd round FA cup tie to look forward to and a Checkatrade Cup game closely following.

Agree with Coley that we started brightly, and for me, seemed to get rattled by Ripley’s booking, lost concentration and conceded a sloppy goal. Zanzala didn’t seem to handle the occasion, let the crowd get to him, and overcommitted to recover a poor first touch by lunging in. Good move for Scott Brown to get into dressing room to be present when Zanzala get back there. We switched off again for second goal. Management team set stall out to have a go in second half with substitutions and formation change, only to be undone with a decent goal 5 mins in, albeit we did stand off the lad on the edge of the box. Huffed and puffed from then on with no real threat.

If someone had offered me being in this position over half way through the season, I’d gladly have taken it.

That all said, we need to quickly get out of this sticky period quickly as the danger of getting sucked into a relegation battle is a risk.

Not long ago, we were 4th and we haven’t turned into a bad side overnight - other teams may have worked us out, but let’s remember, we’re a league up from last season and against better players and managers.
Jeg Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 10:35   #54
God Member

[QUOTE=Lord Didsbury;1221474]Their player taking an offside free kick in our half was wrong, but so trivial. One bloke behind me must have nearly had a stroke getting so bloody angry. It gained them all of 3 yards.

it aint trivial. why should football be different from other sports. in rugby a free kick is taken from the place where the offence is committed. a line out or scrum is where the ball goes out of play. in football you get free kicks taken in the wrong position and throw ins, well ten yards further upfield seems acceptable. if cricket follows football than a bowler can deliver the ball a few yards nearer to a batsman so we can then do without no balls.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:47   #55

Monkey hanger, you should really go and have a read of the laws of the game if you think the ref was incorrect to have the placement of the free kick from an offside offence in the other half.
This changed around 2 and a half years ago and is now from the place where the attacker is when the offside is penalised so hence can be in the other half.
If that happened to be in the penalty area then it would be an indirect free kick not a penalty.
ASFC1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 15:58   #56
Full Member+

[QUOTE=monkey hanger;1221518]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post

it aint trivial. why should football be different from other sports. in rugby a free kick is taken from the place where the offence is committed. a line out or scrum is where the ball goes out of play. in football you get free kicks taken in the wrong position and throw ins, well ten yards further upfield seems acceptable. if cricket follows football than a bowler can deliver the ball a few yards nearer to a batsman so we can then do without no balls.
Cricket has already followed football as we have had cheats in cricket for a while now, batsmen would walk if they got the slightest snick on the edge of the bat (if caught) not any more, and then the ball tampering nuff said
ferret man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 16:56   #57
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

To be honest i reckon anyone who aint bothered about cheats aint a real Sports Fan? am i wrong or what?
KiTChener and pifco like this.
Old 03-01-2019, 23:00   #58
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Eight View Post
That really sums up how ridiculous the offside rules have become. I would truly **** myself if a clearance got caught in the wind and Billy set off backwards finally becoming active in his own box.
Is that a penalty then ? Hahaha !
Thanks for the nod Simpson.
You learn something every day.
It has been that way since the offside law came into place, but the free kick has only been where the player goes for the ball rather than the initial position for the last 3/4 years, hence it cane now be anywhere.

It was clear at the game that a lot of fans didn't have a clue.

Hardly the officials' fault though.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:45   #59
God Member

No wonder refs are held in such low esteem if they have to enforce such nonsense.
So, an attacking player standing alone in the opponents’ half isn’t offside unless he ‘interferes’ with play, but if he runs back into his own half in order to ‘interfere’ with play, he’s offside.
monkey hanger likes this.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:46   #60
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASFC1019 View Post
Monkey hanger, you should really go and have a read of the laws of the game if you think the ref was incorrect to have the placement of the free kick from an offside offence in the other half.
This changed around 2 and a half years ago and is now from the place where the attacker is when the offside is penalised so hence can be in the other half.
If that happened to be in the penalty area then it would be an indirect free kick not a penalty.
it was a different incident to what you and exile have mentioned. he became active in the bradford half of the play a few yards into their half and not in our half. if it had been in our half i imagine the linesman would have positioned himself on the half way line and not a few yards back in their half opposite where the kick should have been from.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..