Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2018, 19:09   #31
Senior Member+

Re: Bristol Rovers (A) match thread

Clicker was immense today and the icing on the cake would have been his shot coming down off the bar over the line.
You won’t see a fitter lad - up and down up and down.
On to the next one .........
choirboy likes this.
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-08-2018, 19:13   #32
God Member

Great all-round performance today from Stanley, on an immaculate pitch but in driving rain for most of the 90+ minutes.
Very impressed with Big Ben and Ross Sykes in defence, and the new keeper who made a stunning reaction save in the first half.
It was a good contest but Stanley restricted them in terms of clear chances and at times played some lovely, controlled football.
Zanzie must have thought he'd turned up at a wrestling contest he was held and manhandled so much in the first half. Was surprised he was replaced with Finlay but, tbh, Stanley's attacking threat in the late second half seemed to increase with his introduction.
Having said that thought the ref had a good game. It wasn't a dirty match but he helped by being very reluctant to flash his yellow card at every tackle like some do.
The whole team played well but Clarke just gets my MotM just because he was a threat every time he got the ball in the opponents half.
Great early goal (even if, as it looked to me, it took a deflection), fantastic equaliser for the Gas, but then a superbly worked winner from Stanley to send the rain soaked 'hordes' into ecstasy.
choirboy likes this.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 19:30   #33
Senior Member+

Agreed my friend.
You heard it here.
He’s the jewel in the crown is Jordan.
Next seven figure earner for the club.
cashman likes this.
Old 11-08-2018, 22:15   #34
Senior Member+

Can one of the fans who attended the game do some player ratings with comments?

Thank you in advance !
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 08:58   #35
God Member

Not from me, Davo.
They play as a team, rate them as a team - 8/10.
Professor Coleman is the only person who needs to 'rate' individual players.
Revived Red, pifco, sherry and 2 others like this.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:42   #36
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
Not from me, Davo.
They play as a team, rate them as a team - 8/10.
Professor Coleman is the only person who needs to 'rate' individual players.
could not agree more exile. like the man of the match awards that i really hate in a team game. we got promoted as we played as a team and not just one ot two turning it on when they felt in the mood for it. lets hope we use yesterday as a spring board for the future this season.
pifco and Taypot like this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 12:02   #37

Highlights here:

Best bit was Seamus making a great tackle then the pass from Sean to set up the Clark chance - was missing last weekend, more of the same next week please!
Tom D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 12:10   #38
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

To be honest i thought best bit was that first half save of our new keeper.
Old 12-08-2018, 12:29   #39
Senior Member+

Top class winner from Sean,opening his body up before passing it into the far corner.
Obviously they hadn’t done their homework on him !!!,
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 15:18   #40

Exile and Monkey - those are nice thoughts, but I'll bet you a (pretend) tenner that you can't go through the whole season and never comment on a specific player as having a good game or a bad game?
DAV007 and monkey hanger like this.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 17:32   #41
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
Exile and Monkey - those are nice thoughts, but I'll bet you a (pretend) tenner that you can't go through the whole season and never comment on a specific player as having a good game or a bad game?
Your Lordship, if you read my post after the match you'll notice that I did comment on specific players. Have done it many, many times, and will continue to do so. I try to give positive comments (which is why I mentioned two defenders who got limited time last season, and I was pleased to see them perform well) but, rarely, someone may have such a stinker that negativity over takes me.
But I try never to 'rate' an entire team. I don't have the knowledge to do so and, when I read such ratings on the Sunday papers, it seems clear to me that they just give goal scorers the highest rating.
So keep your pretend tenner and use it to buy a paperback copy of Pride & Passion.
Revived Red and Lord Didsbury like this.
Old 14-08-2018, 08:32   #42
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
never go through a full match never mind a season having comments on this player or that player. everyone has a bad game no matter who but they do not go out to have one. but this Man of the Match thing is a nonscence for me. always has been and always will be.
Revived Red likes this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 11:32   #43

Singling players out for special praise feels like an entirely natural (and helpful) thing to me.
Fans debating, scoring and comparing seems in built into all (most) of us too.

It’s probably the manner in which it is done: “the goalie had a stinker and should have saved the first goal” versus “the goalie has had better games and might reflect on whether he might have stopped the first” that divides people the most.

But I agree that really the most important thing is how we did as a team, and that can be hard to pin down. Grinding out results by collective graft and patience is a hard thing to score.
pifco and monkey hanger like this.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 13:35   #44
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Eight View Post
Don't know about first name my friend and he wouldn't be left back for me - centre back. I do however know you're thinking with his honesty and commitment.
Rodgers - I just can't get Barnet away out of my head Lord.
The most sympathetic substitution ever by Coley.
I don't think he's up to it - sadly.

And after last night I don't think it, I know it.
Mystified how the lad has gone backwards.
What the hell did Fleetwood do to him ?
monkey hanger likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..