Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2015, 16:41   #16
Full Member+

Re: Bristol Rovers Thread.

Blackpool sleaze trip back on next season

Stanley were by far the longest odds on a short accumulator I put on, so ended up earning me a few hundred, basing it on the last visit and being due a win and all that.
choirboy likes this.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-09-2015, 17:29   #17
Resting in Peace

Great to see Coley made 2 attacking subs with long enough to go to make a difference. Will have to see if the travelling faithful agree with him when he says Terry led the line brilliantly. However, even the Brizzle fans reckon he should have had a nailed on penalty with their player sent off too!
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 18:08   #18
God Member

Great result Stanley. Just loving the way we are tracking.
Kiwi John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 18:56   #19
Senior Member+

Not the greatest of games - the swirling wind made it difficult for both sides. The substitutions made a huge difference for us. McConville had been totally anonymous but Shay McCartan was a threat every time he received the ball. He was denied a goal by a great save from the Brizzle keeper. And Billy Kee was an improvement on a disappointing Josh Windass. How Matt Crooks missed the sitter at the end is beyond comprehension. Difficult to nominate MotM - it was a gutsy team performance. If pressed, I would give it to Adam Buxton. Some good defending by him, some quality runs forward - and he took the corner from which we scored.

The downside for me was the tactical decision to defend the one goal lead. That only encouraged Brizzle to come at us. In those circumstances, I can see no point in bringing all 11 players back when the opposition has a corner. It makes for a very crowded penalty area - just one slip or push and a penalty can be given away so easily. It also makes it far more difficult for the keeper to come to gather the ball. To my mind, it would have made far more sense to keep Piero and/or Shay up front when the opposition has a corner. That would occupy at least two of the opposition. When no-one is left upfield, any clearance is bound to come straight back at us. But what do I know? I ain't got a coaching badge!
Wynonie Harris and cashman like this.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 19:15   #20
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revived Red View Post
Not the greatest of games - the swirling wind made it difficult for both sides. The substitutions made a huge difference for us. McConville had been totally anonymous but Shay McCartan was a threat every time he received the ball. He was denied a goal by a great save from the Brizzle keeper. And Billy Kee was an improvement on a disappointing Josh Windass. How Matt Crooks missed the sitter at the end is beyond comprehension. Difficult to nominate MotM - it was a gutsy team performance. If pressed, I would give it to Adam Buxton. Some good defending by him, some quality runs forward - and he took the corner from which we scored.

The downside for me was the tactical decision to defend the one goal lead. That only encouraged Brizzle to come at us. In those circumstances, I can see no point in bringing all 11 players back when the opposition has a corner. It makes for a very crowded penalty area - just one slip or push and a penalty can be given away so easily. It also makes it far more difficult for the keeper to come to gather the ball. To my mind, it would have made far more sense to keep Piero and/or Shay up front when the opposition has a corner. That would occupy at least two of the opposition. When no-one is left upfield, any clearance is bound to come straight back at us. But what do I know? I ain't got a coaching badge!
Football19 Mark 2 ???...I am impressed !. Almost as impressed as I am with our team's achievements so far !. In particular the clean sheets, which must instill a great deal of confidence in the team as a whole, and provide no end of satisfaction for the Manager !.
Look forward to the visit of Exeter City next Saturday, should be a strong challenge for the REDS, and just might attract a few more fans !...
KTF.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 20:19   #21
God Member

Revived Red's summary was on the mark. Two closely matched teams (again) who could play the ball around but not enough to create many chances. Very equal first half, couldn't really see the "nailed-on" penalty involving Mr.Gornell as it was in front of the Gas faithful, but our captain did have a very lengthy 'discussion' with ref at the end of the first half.
Back four were solid as a rock again, especially in the first 45 minutes when Brizzle had a strong wind behind them. Up front, the captain put in a hard fought shift but there were few chances. Unusually lack lustre performance from Pierro, but I suspect teams have identified him as a threat and watch him closely, so he rarely got a chance to run in space at the goal. Windass put himself about and turned up in lots of corners of the field but just couldn't quite secure the final touch or shot on target.
Professor Coleman's two unforced subs were good to see. Mr.Kee's impact was immediate and, as RR, said, McCarten was a breath of fresh air and purposeful effort, in stark contrast to Mr.McConville. I don't like to criticise (and do so only in the hope a hat-trick in the next game will prove me the idiot I am) but, to my eye, McConville is the least Coleman-esque player in the entire squad. Today he made little contribution, ducked out of headers and tackles, but spent too much time looking to falling down and pleading with the ref.
A match ban may do Crooksy good. He earned his crust but looked tired again in the last twenty minutes. At least, being knackered gives him an excuse for his miss towards the end!
Stanley fully deserved to take at least one point from the game and, for once, took their chance when it came. They then held firm under an increasingly desperate onslaught from Rovers and really should have sealed it with a second late on.
Best beef pasties in league football and three away points. What's not to like?
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 20:24   #22
Senior Member+

Congratulations to those fans who made the journey, brilliant 3 points.
Chrisr likes this.
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 22:29   #23
Senior Member+

Highlights (without a commentary):
Bristol Rovers 0-1 Accrington | Free to watch Football League Highlights | Sky Sports
cashman and choirboy like this.
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 23:59   #24

Just back, great victory away at a tough team an a tough place to go in general, started off like a house on fire an for the first 25 minutes there was only ever going to be one winner , slowly Bristol grew into the game an finished the half stronger, second half again was very even with a great finish from billy to win us the game, tom Davies mom for me think we have found a real diamond in him , thaught Sean and pierro had good first halfs an looked a threat but second half could not get into the game, delighted with the 3 points, an roll on Exeter to avenge the 3-2 defeat last season an lift us further up the table.
pidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2015, 07:38   #25
God Member

pleased with the result but more pleased for billy kee. hope to see more goals from him and getting the winner will do him good. roll on next Saturday.
cashman and VamboOssy like this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2015, 12:37   #26
Senior Member+

Just watched the highlights.
Tom Davies did well for the goal causing mayhem from the super corner kick and Billy snapped it up from close in which is his type of goal. Well done Billy,chuffed for him![/
Shay should have finished the 'one on one' with the keeper but Crooksy should have scored too. Initially I thought that Crooksy must have had his boots on the wrong feet but it seemed to be worse than that!
I reckon he temporarily had a Bristol Rovers players boots on and so it was a really 'good defensive clearance'!

Three points away will do for us everytime.

ON STANLEY ON
choirboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2015, 13:44   #27

The chance at the end epitomises some of our final third play this season - mccartan had 2 or 3 chances to finish when 1 on 1 but chose to head towards the flag, pierro could have shot but chose to pass to crooksy (who I'm sure would admit isn't a natural finisher), whose shot actually made me laugh out loud - of course wouldn't have been funny if we didn't win.

Shooting practice this week please!

I'm not saying it's a disaster, like I said before 1 0 wins are fine, but we won't get away with that against the better attacking teams.
Tom D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2015, 13:50   #28
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom D View Post
The chance at the end epitomises some of our final third play this season - mccartan had 2 or 3 chances to finish when 1 on 1 but chose to head towards the flag, pierro could have shot but chose to pass to crooksy (who I'm sure would admit isn't a natural finisher), whose shot actually made me laugh out loud - of course wouldn't have been funny if we didn't win.

Shooting practice this week please!

I'm not saying it's a disaster, like I said before 1 0 wins are fine, but we won't get away with that against the better attacking teams.
I think it would be a disaster if we wer,nt creating these chances we look very good at the back and through the middle we lack a bit of confidence IMHO in the final 3rd once that comes I hope we will be taking the chances and blowing away the lesser sides and competing with the best.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2015, 17:19   #29
Full Member+

If we can keep the winning mentality for a while we will be a top 4 team easily. We have the quality and guts. I must admit I am struggling to weigh up Matt Crooks he is either brilliant or hopeless and both in the same game!!!!. Don't know the answer to this one. Well done boys 3 points needed only 6 points off the top.
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2015, 18:51   #30
God Member

I see the Rovers keeper is wearing what looks to be much the same colours as Stanley. I notice this happens over here as well. I thought there was a rule against the keeper and opposition wearing much the same colours?
Kiwi John is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..