Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree66Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-03-2019, 09:57   #61
Senior Member+

Re: Burton Albion Thread

One of the sites list brown substituted by savin on 84 minutes and as savin is a goalkeeper I was bemused but on searching I cannot find which site it was on
Accrington Web
Old 25-03-2019, 10:07   #62
God Member

Actually, having two keepers on at the same time may have been a good idea.
Old 25-03-2019, 10:45   #63
Full Member+

don't think Coley could have spoken a truer word in his post match interview.
my partner claimed after 35 minutes it was one of the most boring games she had witnessed - so I can partly blame her for the madness that followed!!
even at 2-0 up we looked second best - although at least we took the 2 chances on offer (probably assist of the season from Billy with that header to Sean!)

As much as I try to like Maxted and support that he is a good goalkeeper, I simply feel as though I am constantly kidding myself. His positioning lets him down as he isn't a bad shot stopper, but too many times this season we have conceded goals due to his poor positioning.
I am keeping positive, perhaps harshly, that Dimi will be our 1st choice keeper moving forward and am keeping my fingers crossed that apart from International Call Ups, will incur no more red cards (or injuries) and can have a long spell in goal!

The back 4 were sloppy at best, although I was disappointed (and have been a few times in the last few weeks) of the performance of Hughes. Too many times (recurring theme here....) caught out of position, too many passes finding Burton players.

The main cause for concern however for me was the non existant midfield.

I love Scotty but feel I am missing a key bit of information in the coaching manual as to why he was playing the majority of the game as a second striker. He neither has the height nor legs to run onto Billy's flick ons. Strange. Would much prefer him sitting just infront of the back 4.

Finlay started well but seemed to drift off into frustration and lost his way towards the end of the game. Will give him benefit of doubt as cant single him out for poor performance from rest of team and at least he actually looks like he's bothered about trying to make something happen (or just wind up the opposition...)
Barlasar was poor. As much as I can't deny he is extremely talented, I do question if his talents are suitable for us. His main expertise seems to be playing 60 yard balls out wide, which rarely come off, but when they do - it's asking alot for our wingers/full backs to take 3 touches to control the ball, get it out there feet and beat a man (haha snigger at that last one !!) That would be suited in the prem/championship - just don't think our players are quite as capable as benefiting from that.
Too many times he lost the ball dribbiling/playing 5 yard passes in our defensive final third.
I'd like to see him further forward, closer to Billy as it's clear the lad can strike a ball. Similar to his great strike the other week.

Sean and Clicker were a bit better than average, didn't really have much influence later on but looked lively and both contributed to goals so cant complain. Get sean off corners though jeeezz! and Clicker needs to be put in an ice chamber an hour before every game so he can chill in front of goal.

All in all. A bad day at the office. Onto Saturday.
New day, new game, new opposition.

Hopefully 3 players back in Dimi, Ross & Smyth.

Think they will 100% make the difference.

KTF.
Inspector Morse likes this.
Old 25-03-2019, 11:06   #64
Senior Member+

Just to be clear mate - three in three out ? Maxted Rodgers and Brown ?
Old 25-03-2019, 11:13   #65
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Eight View Post
Maxted - 100%
Rodgers - harsh on him as he has played well - just wouldn't take out Johnson to play Rodgers right back and wouldn't take out Hughes purely for the experience... happy to keep Rodgers in until Sykes 100% fit. If that's another 2/3 games away, so be it.
Brown - Yes if planning on playing as we did vs Wycombe. Or I'd drop Barlasar and have Scotty deeper.
Old 25-03-2019, 11:36   #66

I don't think Ross would have made that much of a difference on Sat I know I will get slated for that but we have had poor results with him in the team true.as for Hughes Stanley Josh has just touched on it the problem is he knows he's getting picked every week and undroppable in the gaffers eyes. His positioning at times on Sat was poor how slow has he got ? As for some of the senior players when a goal went in they are quick to point the finger at the younger lads an't they suppose to support and help the younger members of the team.all they seem to do was argue they need to take the blame together as a team or at this rate they will find themselves in league two.
Old 25-03-2019, 11:40   #67
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Love Rocket View Post
I don't think Ross would have made that much of a difference on Sat I know I will get slated for that but we have had poor results with him in the team true.as for Hughes Stanley Josh has just touched on it the problem is he knows he's getting picked every week and undroppable in the gaffers eyes. His positioning at times on Sat was poor how slow has he got ? As for some of the senior players when a goal went in they are quick to point the finger at the younger lads an't they suppose to support and help the younger members of the team.all they seem to do was argue they need to take the blame together as a team or at this rate they will find themselves in league two.
Think Ross & Hughes is a better partnership overall than Hughes & Rodgers.
Also think Hughes steps up his game when playing with Ross as he coaches him through the game.

Hughes' positional play at start of season was fantastic - he knows he isn't the quickest and sat deeper to compensate. We didn't play for offsides and it worked. Saturday, we tried to catch Burton too often offside but it just didn't work, then Hughes got caught out trying and failing to catch up.

Sean was poor as a captain in that respect. No motivation, no settling down, especially with Burton's first 2 goals.
Callum starting to give back as good as he gets when getting blamed.
Think it's right to blame poor mistakes.
Alot of individual mistakes lately.
Old 25-03-2019, 11:42   #68

Let's not forget Burton played in the championship last season kept a lot of these squad.
Old 25-03-2019, 13:28   #69
God Member

Quote:
for me maxted will be only remembered for his penalty saves. rodgers just aint the player left us and brown fine for coming on the last 30 minutes but struggles to do 90 in division 1. midfield is the problem as we have never replaced conneely this season as he was a major player last season and we have no one else in the squad to dohis job.
Old 25-03-2019, 13:35   #70
Senior Member+

He should be available for selection Saturday but I cant see Coley putting him in.
Don't think Sykes will be ready either.
Same eleven other than Smyth for Brown.
Old 25-03-2019, 13:36   #71
Full Member+

Quote:
He should be available for selection Saturday but I cant see Coley putting him in.
Don't think Sykes will be ready either.
Same eleven other than Smyth for Brown.
No Dimi?
Old 25-03-2019, 13:39   #72

Conneely your having a laugh not good enough the crab I'm sure 28 will tell us otherwise
Old 25-03-2019, 13:41   #73
Senior Member+

Are you ever going to give it a rest ?
Old 25-03-2019, 13:41   #74
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Love Rocket View Post
Conneely your having a laugh not good enough the crab I'm sure 28 will tell us otherwise
I'm actually a big fan of Conneely.
Saturday's game showed how much we missed him.
Too big a gap between midfield and defence.

Not the most exciting player, not the most technically blessed.
But he does a job and does it well.
Old 25-03-2019, 13:42   #75
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyJosh View Post
No Dimi?

Personally - yes.
Not Coley's style to change too much though.
Closed Thread

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..