Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2015, 12:16   #31
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Bury tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyd View Post
How can you blame a manager for a player missing a penalty is beyond me I played the game and I think any player on the pitch including the goalie should be able to take and score a penalty if you miss it,s either unlucky or a bad take can,t blame anyone for that,certain " Stanley fans " I know are not coming because Coleman is the manager that,s their choice but to me they are,nt true fans a true fan goes through thick and thin.
I dont blame the manager for a player missing a penalty, I blame a manager fer having NO tactics for taking them, is that so difficult to grasp? whoever earns it takes it, was what he says, that is pathetic in my view.
Chrisr and monkey hanger like this.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:28   #32
God Member

What would happen if, in the dying minutes, the goalie punts a ball into their box and a defender handles it? Guess the goalie has to take the penalty.
Having said that, when they're coming up through the ranks keepers spend a lot of their their time taking shots during the warm up and I've seen some keepers with better shooting ability than many outfield players.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:49   #33
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldy View Post
Although it was a bad penalty, Who else would you have fancied taking it?

Billy Kee, missed his penalty against Hull, didn't Barry miss against Nelson in Pre Season?

Does seem strange though that we don't have a chosen penalty taker if Windass isn't playing!
I must admit Baldy,I was unsure who would take it,there didn't seem to many wanting the ball.
Red-Osbornello likes this.
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 13:29   #34
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by football19 View Post
I must admit Baldy,I was unsure who would take it,there didn't seem to many wanting the ball.
Perhaps cos there had been NO discussion or practice about it? no-one would want the ball if the instruction was as our manager said,why would anyone else be after taking it?
Old 02-09-2015, 15:29   #35
Full Member+

Come on this is Accrington Stanley we are talking about penalties are usually against us not in our favour.
Greeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 15:39   #36
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeny View Post
Come on this is Accrington Stanley we are talking about penalties are usually against us not in our favour.
As that decides after the 90 mins, then i reckon well worth bothering about.
Old 02-09-2015, 20:50   #37
Full Member+

Imagine the following hypothetical scenario......

Last minute of the last game of the season, home to Stevenage, game delicately poised at 0-0 and needing a win to either :

a) get us promoted automatically

b) secure a place in the play-offs

c) secure our place in League 2 for another season....

any player (of your choice) wanders in to the Stevenage area....goes down under a challenge and the penalty duly awarded.

Would you :

A) nominate a dedicated penalty taker who regularly practices and scores the penalties

or

B) take it on chance that the guy who has just been felled, has the cahunas to handle such a pressure situation. He may have already missed several key penalties in his career but hey...he was the guy who won the penalty !!!!

Forward your answer to :

The Football genius (& sidekick), Livingstone Rd. Accrington.

BE SURE to mark your response with " ** I DO / DO NOT hold a recognised F.A. coaching badge" **delete as appropriate
smudgie and cashman like this.

Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill.
carpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 21:13   #38
Senior Member+

I was always under the impression that a player who had been fouled was NOT the one to take the penalty. The foul could have affected his ability (or inability) to take the penalty. There could, of course, be exceptions. The fouled player could well be the recognised penalty taker; or he may want to try for a hat-trick. Still, what do I know? I haven't got a coaching certificate.
Redraine likes this.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 21:20   #39
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisr View Post
Failure to make the play offs, I think you would have to consider your position.
What an absolute tool. One day they will name an End after Jimmy Bell and they'll reserve the entire stand just for you.
baldy, cashman, Chimer and 2 others like this.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:04   #40
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I dont blame the manager for a player missing a penalty, I blame a manager fer having NO tactics for taking them, is that so difficult to grasp? whoever earns it takes it, was what he says, that is pathetic in my view.
it sounds like sunday league tactics when a side is 7 nil up in the last minuit and gets a pen.
smudgie and cashman like this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:00   #41
Senior Member+

Not only did he miss it - he kicked the ball over the bar, missing the goals completely
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 14:23   #42
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Not only did he miss it - he kicked the ball over the bar, missing the goals completely
While that is true, the defeat can't be laid entirely at Sean's door - in fact he was one who had had a decent game before that. We'd had plenty of time in the previous 88 minutes to score & in truth if that penalty had gone in I think Bury would've had the right to feel hard done by although of course we'd have celebrated like we'd won the fa cup!
Just saying there's no point villifying one player for a mistake which I'm sure he felt worse than any of us about
baldy likes this.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 14:57   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
While that is true, the defeat can't be laid entirely at Sean's door - in fact he was one who had had a decent game before that. We'd had plenty of time in the previous 88 minutes to score & in truth if that penalty had gone in I think Bury would've had the right to feel hard done by although of course we'd have celebrated like we'd won the fa cup!
Just saying there's no point villifying one player for a mistake which I'm sure he felt worse than any of us about
You are correct up to a point however football is a results driven game and it is his fault we are out.

The way to look at it is could we have done it better. Should he have taken the penalty? Don't look back, look forward and get it right next time with a penalty
deeayess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 15:45   #44
God Member

the way I viewed the game wasn't that we played particularly bad, rather that Bury did a number on us defensively. Whilst we were allowed to play a decent amount of possession football we rarely threatened their goal. Bury stood off us but as soon as we attempted to go around the foot went in. They harried and harassed and we had little answer.

Had Sean scored rather than converted his penalty it would have been tough on Bury.

Regards the penalty one or two have asked who could/should have taken it, well Proccy was our designated spotter in the play-off season scoring something along the lines of 9 from 11. Much as I malign those that endlessly mock Coleman I've got to agree that the supposed decision to allow the earner of the penalty to take it is a ridiculous one.

I've also got to agree with those that say Sean was one of our better players. Twas the same against Hull, when he came on he was the one who looked most likely to unlock the defence. Against Bury he was constantly running at them but (again praise to Bury and them knowing how to play us) he was always forced inside and having to lay the ball backwards to restart the moves.
cashman likes this.
Old 03-09-2015, 17:27   #45
Senior Member+

Although we lost you have to take some positives from the game.
We replaced three of the four "spine of the team" positions and still give a good first division team a game.
It goes to show we have strength in depth and we shouldn't be frightened of any team
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..