Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-07-2016, 19:41   #1
Junior Member+

Calling out to Accrington Fans!

Hi, I'm a Grimsby Town fan and writer for the fanzine Cod Almighty - daily independent coverage of Grimsby Town Football Club

Now that we're back in the football league (remember us?) the site are reviving a series of Rough Guides that we used to run in the league and I'm writing about you guys. For an example of what we write, here is the one we wrote about you back in 2006. Cod Almighty - the Grimsby Town fanzine

For this year we're making sure that GTFC fans know all about our opponents in League Two, so I'm here to ask if there are any Stanley facts and fables that you think I should include beyond what a routine Google search will provide for me. Fans' favourites, fans' villains, recommended pubs, funny stories, famous fans, claims to fame, high points and low points, authoritarian chairmen, characterful managers or mad mascots, basically anything that you think people should know about your club and anything that you think will make the Accrington Stanley Rough Guide the most informative and entertaining on the site.

Thanks for looking. All the best for the season and look forward to seeing you at Blundell Park on Boxing Day!
monkey hanger likes this.
Mariner75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-07-2016, 20:19   #2
God Member

Re: Calling out to Accrington Fans!

Mariner, welcome back to league football. I suggest you put your post in the relevant section of the Accyweb; there's one exclusively for Stanley. More likely to get a response.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 08:17   #3
God Member

welcolm back mariner75. for one i,m glad to see grimsby back in the football league and not one of those bankrolled southern outfits like vegan green rovers. pity we,re playing you on boxing day due to the weather and transport difficulties. have to lay off the sauce on christmas day a bit. glad you,re against the efl format as well.
Greger likes this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 10:10   #4
Junior Member+

Thanks exile! I'll pop over to the right section now!

And yes monkey hanger, completely against the efl format!
Old 18-07-2016, 10:20   #5
God Member

Interesting reading your piece from 10 years ago, Mariner. There's been a few things that haven't changed at/with Stanley in the last decade but, blimey, there's a lot that has.
Too many changes to list but a couple of important ones off the top are (1) the return a few seasons ago of manager John Coleman and his assistant, Jimmy Bell and (2) the arrival last year of a new, local owner who has really made an impact on the club and the ground. It seems like more improvements have been made this summer or are about to be made to the former Crown Ground, now the Wham Stadium, than in the previous ten years.
Lot of Stanley fans were glad to see Grimsby secure promotion and look forward to seeing a good following on 25 March.
But don't worry, two things haven't changed for away fans is the uncovered, standing terrace and the tendency for it to rain in Accy.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 10:28   #6
Junior Member+

Calling all Stanley fans!

Hi, I'm a Grimsby Town fan and writer for the fanzine Cod Almighty.
http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php

Now that we're back in the football league (remember us?) the site are reviving a series of Rough Guides that we used to run in the league and I'm writing about you guys. For an example of what we write, here is the one we wrote about you back in 2006. http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4500

For this year we're making sure that GTFC fans know all about our opponents in League Two, so I'm here to ask if there are any Stanley facts and fables that you think I should include beyond what a routine Google search will provide for me. Fans' favourites, fans' villains, recommended pubs, funny stories, famous fans, claims to fame, high points and low points, authoritarian chairmen, characterful managers or mad mascots, basically anything that you think people should know about your club and anything that you think will make the Accrington Stanley Rough Guide the most informative and entertaining on the site.

Thanks for looking. All the best for the season and look forward to seeing you at Blundell Park on Boxing Day!

Last edited by Mariner75; 18-07-2016 at 10:31.
Old 18-07-2016, 10:34   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Well pleased to see Grimsby back, what i regard as a proper club.
MikeA, Greger, ianray and 1 others like this.
Old 21-12-2016, 17:41   #8
Junior Member+

Thanks so much for replying, everybody. May I ask a couple more questions?

What are the best pubs for away fans?
Who's your star man so far this season?
Who's your villain so far this season?
Has there been any satisfaction in seeing Wimbledon ahead of the MK Dons even though you lost to them in the play-offs?

Many thanks for the info you've provided so far :-)
Old 21-12-2016, 17:53   #9
God Member

1. Best pubs - Crown, Greyhound & Grey Horse (all in a stones throw of the ground)
2. Star man - Without a doubt, Rommy Boco
3. Villain - still Trevor Kettle from last season, he will not be forgiven in a hurry!
4. Absolutely none - not keen on either & AFC Wimbledon didn't exactly curry favour with us in the manner they got to the play off final including the assault on the aforementioned Mr. Boco for which their player received little punishment (just a yellow card)

Maybe you could answer a question in return - do you know if our fans will be able to pay on the gate for our game on Boxing Day?
Thanks in advance
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 18:00   #10
Junior Member+

What did Kettle do?

I'd be surprised if you couldn't pay on the gate on Boxing Day. Check this:

Visiting Blundell Park
Old 21-12-2016, 19:14   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariner75 View Post
What did Kettle do?

Visiting Blundell Park
Is the ticket office open matchdays? summat owd farts need to know.
Old 21-12-2016, 19:16   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariner75 View Post
What did Kettle do?

Visiting Blundell Park
Is the ticket office open matchdays? summat owd farts need to know. Kettle blew the whistle whilst the ball was travelling towards the net, that NON GOAL cost us promotion, in 60 odd years i have never seen that occur.
Old 21-12-2016, 20:39   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger
vegan green rovers.
I don't know if this question's been asked before, but do they accept the new fivers at The New Lawn? I'll wager they do.
monkey hanger likes this.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 21:13   #14
Junior Member+

Ticket office is open matchdays. I'm sorry, but I've no idea of away fans need to go to the office. Best to ring before you travel to make sure. The ticket staff are very friendly :-)
Old 21-12-2016, 21:44   #15
Junior Member+

Thanks all, the Rough Guide should be live in the next couple of days. In the meantime if you fancy a free read check out this tale of zombie survival fabulousness (there's a free download for either Kindle ebook; just click the relevant link):

- Stella Part 1

Of if you prefer a dystopian tale (also free on ebook or Kindle):
- Resa

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..