Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-08-2004, 09:29   #1
Resting In Peace

Car Parking

I arrived at the first home game of the season against Burton Albion to be faced with barriers across the lane at Livingstone Road, I was told that the car park was full so I parked some distance away. When I was on the ground I looked over the wall at the Coppice end and the car park was a long way from full, I looked over the wall at the Clayton end and there were six cars parked there. On Saturday against Crawley the same thing happened again. I looked over the wall at the Coppice end and the car park was half full and at the Clayton end there were three cars parked there. Does anyone know what is happening ? Residents are already complaining about cars being parked outside their houses, surely this will make it worse. Are we trying to alienate the locals, or is this to encourage us to walk to the game so that when it is raining we are already wet when we arrive and will not bother about there not being a roof.
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-08-2004, 09:52   #2
God Member

Re: Car Parking

Burton game I was directed to the back of the clayton end as the Coppice end car park was for burton fans which I thought was fair enough.

However with Crawley bringing the expected small following I was suprised such a big car park was allocated to them so when I saw the barriers I parked on the street.

I think when a small following is expected then we shoudl share that car park. But I agree with larger followings it makes sense to give it to the away fans.

Last edited by KIPAX; 31-08-2004 at 10:05.
KIPAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2004, 10:01   #3
Senior Member+

Crawley, KIPAX
Smiffy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2004, 10:06   #4
God Member

hehe fanx. if this looks odd thats because I edited my post to the right team...

oh well at least I knew it began with a C
Old 31-08-2004, 13:50   #5
Full Member+

Must agree, fellas. On arrival at the ground on Saturday we were greeted by a young Jobsworth in a Stanley tie who said that the closing of the car park was a health and safety issue, as someone was likely to get hurt as people left the ground in cars and on foot. We remarked that this seemed to be the way to go about alienating supporters but received short shrift from the said youth. What is the point of having a car park if it cannot be used, I wonder? All it needs now is some over-zealous plod to set about the neighbouring streets with a book of tickets and I think we'll very soon see our gates dwindle still further. 800 here we come!!? Heaven forbid!
Oldgobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2004, 22:01   #6
Senior Member+

Yeh I agree lads, can not understand what the health and safety issue is ???

I was allowed to park on "away" car park. If I was a local resident and saw that people where being forced onto street's to park I would not be a happy bunny...

We have a large area to use as car parking and in my opinion this should be encouraged NOT discouraged...... Lets get a tractor and clear some of the rubble etc from behind the clayton end and create a nice big car park. I will be the first to help out if this is an option..

I have a HEALTH and SAFETY ISSUE with parking a few streets away from the ground and trying to keep my 3 kids out of harm's way on our walk to the ground across whalley road

This need's a re-think and not just take the easy option(for the club) and push the problem somewhere else ???? .. Car parking for a Stanley game at home is Stanley's problem but I don't see it as a real problem with the space we have available to us

Lets turn this into an opportunity to enhance the club's facility's and ATTRACTability at minimal cost. We are a club on the move and that mean's everything need's to move forward including CAR PARKING and CLAYTON ROOF >>>>>>
simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 00:50   #7
God Member

Saying that... Went to York tonight and considering this was recently a league club there is NO car park. street parking only and most of that is residents only.

We got to york city center at about 4.30 and car park wanted 6.60. we gave him 2 quid for his back pocket while we went round town
Old 01-09-2004, 02:18   #8
I am Banned

First, I must agree with Kipax about parking aound Bootham Crescent (York City) ; it could have been devised as another labour for Hercules to perform. Undoubtedly the worst arrangement I've experienced outside of London. I'd have gone by train except that the last one back leaves at 21:49. Still, the result went the right way.

Second, if there is a long term plan to provide covered seating all round the IES then it seems fairly obvious to me that the surrounding terrain should be drained and made level at the earliest opportunity . This would , in the short term at least , ease the parking problem to some degree. I also agree with the suggestion of greater flexibility in how visitors' parking is allocated , based on demand which is rather more predictable now that we are in our second Conference season.

Third, if the Club is to maintain and improve home attendances then it has an urgent duty to provide a firm and well-drained surface behind the main stand. Fair-weather supporters (and ladies in particular) will not return after having their expensive clothes and footwear ruined by a uniquely damaging ASFC mud. Yes, of course it costs money ; but it will cost a great deal more if it's not addressed before the winter.
Henry Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 08:21   #9
rob

thank you for all your comments regarding concerns over parking, i can assure you we are listening and will endeavour to sort it all out in the next week or so.

rob
rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 08:34   #10
Resting In Peace

If it is a health and safety issue as someone was likely to get hurt as people left the ground in cars and on foot, what about the supporters who have paid for a parking space opposite the turnstiles, what about Directors, visiting Directors etc. how do they get their cars out, do they have to wait until everybody has left or does it not matter as they have paid their money to park
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 13:52   #11
Junior Member+

If the H&S issue is about the danger of people being run over as they walk away from the ground, then why dont ASFC have a policy that no cars can leave the car park for, say, 20 minutes immediately after the final whistle, allowing most fans to be clear of the pathway going back out onto Livingston Road. If anyone did want to leave the car park while the match is still going on, then a steward with some common sense would be able to use their discretion as to whether the pathway was suffeciently clear enough for them to be able to drive away, or they could just keep people back for the few seconds it takes for the car to pull clear.
TWOSEAT RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 09:08   #12
Full Member+

What a difference yesterday! I was greeted with a smile and a helpful manner yesterday ---and was able to park at the ground. Thanks Rob. I know we're quick to sound off when we don't like something, but here's an example of the club listening to fans' views and doing something about it. Well done!
Oldgobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 09:11   #13
God Member

Yep I was greeted at the car park gates and even asked nicely to park my car at x position. Not only open but organised. Rob posted earlier in this thread saying they are taking note and it would seem all is now sorted... Cheers Rob
Old 05-09-2004, 12:14   #14
Senior Member+

Thank's a lot Rob and other's at the club for listening MUCH better organised
simon is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..