Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-08-2019, 08:59   #16
God Member

Re: Carabao Cup Match

[QUOTE=Lord Didsbury;1230361]I thought Finley was superb but none of the new players impressed.

seems you and others have mainly mentioned last years players. didn,t go but i am a little worried about the experiance at this level of a few of the new signings. not knocking anyone yet though.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-08-2019, 09:50   #17
God Member

Will be enjoying the privilege of watching Stanley for another season in League 1 tomorrow, and looking forward to seeing the new and ‘old’ players, but I suspect my opinions on any of them after one, or even two games is worth diddly-squat. Trying to remember whether Kayden Jackson, who had a massive part to play in the promotion, had an immediate impact or whether it took a while for him to gel. Certainly Piero Mingoia showed little promise in his first few outings.
Always reckoned it takes 10 games to make most judgements, and even then many of mine were wrong in the end.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 10:48   #18
Full Member+

[QUOTE=monkey hanger;1230427]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
I thought Finley was superb but none of the new players impressed.

seems you and others have mainly mentioned last years players. didn,t go but i am a little worried about the experiance at this level of a few of the new signings. not knocking anyone yet though.
Fortunately it is still the majority of last years players who are starting.
We have lost fringe players and replaced them. Up to them to force their way into the starting 11.
StanleyJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 10:51   #19
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alchemist View Post
Barker-Richardson may well have ‘put himself about well, chased down defenders and was trying to stretch the Sunderland defence’ but clearly he wasn’t pleasing Mr. Coleman, hence his substitution. Given that Carvalho’s time on the pitch was hardly worth being sent on, he did catch my eye. Though my eyesight is probably similar to the German alchemist Henig Brand who stars in my atavar. Let the season unravel and allow time for further comparisons to be made.
I don't think the substitution was down to his performance, more so his lack of game time recently.
StanleyJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 12:02   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyJosh View Post
I don't think the substitution was down to his performance, more so his lack of game time recently.
I thought the same

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 12:04   #21
God Member

Smile Re: Carabao Cup Match

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
Will be enjoying the privilege of watching Stanley for another season in League 1 tomorrow, and looking forward to seeing the new and ‘old’ players, but I suspect my opinions on any of them after one, or even two games is worth diddly-squat.

Trying to remember whether Kayden Jackson, who had a massive part to play in the promotion, had an immediate impact or whether it took a while for him to gel.

Certainly Piero Mingoia showed little promise in his first few outings.
Always reckoned it takes 10 games to make most judgements, and even then many of mine were wrong in the end.
Scored on his first game at the Crown and was a handful all game(season)

Agree though, some players hit the ground running, whilst others take time to settle in

Old 16-08-2019, 12:11   #22
God Member

Smile Re: Carabao Cup Match

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
Personally, I enjoyed the game & to be honest I thought their first goal was slightly against the run of play.
It was a shame that Bishop missed a good chance in the first half so I was pleased to see him score the penalty & clock up his first goal for us.
Of the new lads Maguire & Pritchard impressed me, the others did ok too although not sure about Baker-Richardson yet & I thought we matched Sunderland for large periods of the game to be honest.
Saying that, when they subbed Will Grigg for McGeady I had a feeling it wouldn't be long before he scored & was proved right. I thought 3 - 1 flattered them a bit but at the end of the day they took their chances & the bottom line is that goals win games.
Didn't come away too disappointed, indeed there were a lot of positives I thought. Ross Sykes deserved his motm award although Jordan Clark would've been a good shout too, he played out of his skin

Agree with most of that Di, but think that Maguire was out of position a few times.

When all said and done, we have lost some players and got some new ones in, problem is not how many, but who!!

Whilst we have still got Macca and Hughesy, we have lost some kee players unfortunately......

Still early doors though

Old 16-08-2019, 12:12   #23
God Member

Thanks, Valairian, that lad Jackson was “hotter than a pepper sprout”.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 17:39   #24
Senior Member+

12 inexperienced or 6 experienced and a few loanees to supplement ?
That is the conundrum.
I’ve made my feelings clear and tied my colours to the mast.
When you see the likes of young Sterling signing on loan from Tottenham with Doncaster I can’t help thinking ..... wish it was us.
Sorry to sound gloomy but two clubs on minus 12 could be a blessing in disguise.
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 18:02   #25
God Member

Exclamation Re: Carabao Cup Match

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpson View Post
It’s probably my age, but Andy I’m out of breath reading your post. Any chance of a full stop at some point to help the lungs ��.
As for last night, we have to be supportive but I do feel a lot of our recruitment have been “punts” that I’m struggling to understand. I genuinely hope I’m wrong.

Thought Clark showed his class and echo Finley comments. Is Clark entering last season of contract and if so will there be an extension ?
Got to say that when I heard Coley on the radio on the way home, I was more than surprised....!!

I do not believe that at any time we were a) better than them, b) looking like we were going to win...

Got to run with the Genius and agree that he must always be positive - for the team if nothing else....

Did have a chuckle to myself when Coley said that Clark was the best person on the pitch by a mile big him up by all means, but really???

On to the next game

Old 16-08-2019, 19:54   #26
Senior Member+

Well it is a game of opinions. I agreed with Coley. How on earth our sponsors could pick a defender as man of the match where we have given three away and the player chosen was personally responsible for the third is beyond me.
losing Clicker will be a blow ..... hopefully not before the end of the season.
Old 16-08-2019, 21:10   #27
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Eight View Post
12 inexperienced or 6 experienced and a few loanees to supplement ?
That is the conundrum.
I’ve made my feelings clear and tied my colours to the mast.
When you see the likes of young Sterling signing on loan from Tottenham with Doncaster I can’t help thinking ..... wish it was us.
Sorry to sound gloomy but two clubs on minus 12 could be a blessing in disguise.
There is no disguise, it is an overt blessing for Stanley's chances of saying up, however not great for Lancashire football.

We can't compete with Doncaster money wise. Wonder what Ross Etheridge is doing this season?
Spartacus2nd likes this.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 21:17   #28
Senior Member+

Spurs are covering the majority of his wages at Donny so don’t quite get your point.
Old 16-08-2019, 21:21   #29
Senior Member+

What’s your point re Ross ?

Last edited by Twenty Eight; 16-08-2019 at 21:24.
Old 17-08-2019, 08:03   #30
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALAIRIAN View Post
Got to say that when I heard Coley on the radio on the way home, I was more than surprised....!!

I do not believe that at any time we were a) better than them, b) looking like we were going to win...

Got to run with the Genius and agree that he must always be positive - for the team if nothing else....

Did have a chuckle to myself when Coley said that Clark was the best person on the pitch by a mile big him up by all means, but really???

On to the next game

I was the same surprised he also said could and should have won the game agree with could, because you could win any game as for should no way can,t remember thier keeper having a serious shot on target to deal with, whereas Emitov produced a few excellent saves keeping us in the game.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..