Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-08-2019, 15:29   #1

Carabao Cup Match

Surprised by the lack of posts regarding last nights game, our first at home.
For those unable to attend, it would be great to get some opinions on how we played?
In particular, how well did the new boys perform?
Was it as easy for Sunderland as the cold stats implied, courtesy of the BBC Sports app?
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-08-2019, 16:13   #2
Full Member+

Re: Carabao Cup Match

No
AccyMad likes this.
ferret man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2019, 16:46   #3
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret man View Post
No
Thanks for such a helpful answer to a sensible question.
Lord Stiffupperlip likes this.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2019, 17:38   #4
God Member

Personally, I enjoyed the game & to be honest I thought their first goal was slightly against the run of play.
It was a shame that Bishop missed a good chance in the first half so I was pleased to see him score the penalty & clock up his first goal for us.
Of the new lads Maguire & Pritchard impressed me, the others did ok too although not sure about Baker-Richardson yet & I thought we matched Sunderland for large periods of the game to be honest.
Saying that, when they subbed Will Grigg for McGeady I had a feeling it wouldn't be long before he scored & was proved right. I thought 3 - 1 flattered them a bit but at the end of the day they took their chances & the bottom line is that goals win games.
Didn't come away too disappointed, indeed there were a lot of positives I thought. Ross Sykes deserved his motm award although Jordan Clark would've been a good shout too, he played out of his skin
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2019, 18:16   #5
Full Member+

Negatives first, think I must of been watching a completely different game to everyone else as personally I though Maguire was awful.
Constantly out of position, offered not much going forward and always seemed to be a yard behind defending.
Surprised at Barclay playing CM, Coley must see something there as it wasn’t an enforced choice and he played there during pre season. Thought he too was poor and rarely offered anything, another one who seemed to be always behind play.
For the majority of the game Sykes played well although sloppy to let a player get goalside for the 3rd. Similar story with Hughes, beaten in the air easily in build up to 3rd and could of done better for 2nd.
Crossing was poor, either didn’t beat the first man or went straight into their keepers arms.

Onto the positives, we weren’t outplayed and we more than held our own, especially for 25 mins of the second half where Dimi must of touched the ball no more than a few times.
Finley was absolutely exceptional in the middle, I would even go as far as saying that is the best I have seen him in a Stanley shirt. Almost scored a beaut of a goal and if anyone thinks he is to blame for the 2nd with a poor pass, why did Ben just stand there and not come to the ball. Must be a thing with tall players called Ben.....
Clicker must of had a magnet in his boots linked to one in the ball as his touch to control the ball was simply breathtaking at times. Thought he had a really good game too and would of probably chose him for M.O.M if I had the choice.
Colby ran himself into the ground, deserved his goal, was unlucky to get the ball stuck under his feet for the tap in and if he had a bit more energy in him to jump highest to get up in the box he could have had another.
Let’s not forget that not only is it a huge step up in terms of quality, but his way of life has significantly changed too. He has gone from working full time and training a couple of times a week to training full time. It will take a bit for his body to adapt to that.

All in all, a good enjoyable match where we showed grit and determination and a real desire to create. Looking at the upcoming league games, they are all winnable and will shape our season. On last nights showing, I think we will be alright.

Up The Accy x

p.s, hope you are all signed up members to the OASSC!
p.p.s, Clayton End surfer flag....just WOW
StanleyJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2019, 19:01   #6

I thought Finley was superb but none of the new players impressed.
Fairly close game, and reasonably entertaining but the Makems shaded it.
A few more ground improvements to admire- not least a flat pitch.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2019, 21:00   #7
Junior Member+

I felt that Carvalho [Number 23] showed more threat in the four minutes he had on the pitch than Baker-Richardson [Number 31] showed in his 79 minutes.
Wynonie Harris, mab and pifco like this.
The Alchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2019, 22:01   #8
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alchemist View Post
I felt that Carvalho [Number 23] showed more threat in the four minutes he had on the pitch than Baker-Richardson [Number 31] showed in his 79 minutes.
Can’t agree with that, thought Baker-Richardson put himself about well, chased down defenders and was constantly trying to stretch the Sunderland defence.
Don’t recall Carvalho having any impact tbh.
ferret man likes this.
StanleyJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 16:38   #9
Junior Member+

Barker-Richardson may well have ‘put himself about well, chased down defenders and was trying to stretch the Sunderland defence’ but clearly he wasn’t pleasing Mr. Coleman, hence his substitution. Given that Carvalho’s time on the pitch was hardly worth being sent on, he did catch my eye. Though my eyesight is probably similar to the German alchemist Henig Brand who stars in my atavar. Let the season unravel and allow time for further comparisons to be made.
The Alchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 17:20   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alchemist View Post
Barker-Richardson may well have ‘put himself about well, chased down defenders and was trying to stretch the Sunderland defence’ but clearly he wasn’t pleasing Mr. Coleman, hence his substitution. Given that Carvalho’s time on the pitch was hardly worth being sent on, he did catch my eye. Though my eyesight is probably similar to the German alchemist Henig Brand who stars in my atavar. Let the season unravel and allow time for further comparisons to be made.
First game for him amongst others he did put himself about not sure wether it was enough that hopefully will come as for the game 2 or 3 of their players first half were guicker thinking on the ball especially McNulty and Gooch who to me is how you pop up all over the midfield and usually found a pass 2nd half we improved got the penetration and a penalty well struck by Bishop who looks like nutured could be a player then they took waste of money Grigg off brought Mcgeady what a player at this level and Wyke too good for us especially if you play a suicidal pass when not needing to across your own back 4 infront of Mcgeady puts your defenders on the wrong foot bread and butter to him he was never going to miss 3 goal was icing on the cake for them and possibly a bit harsh on Stanley but enjoyable evening and positives big squad and probably a lot of face changes before a settled winning side.
ferret man likes this.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 17:53   #11

It’s probably my age, but Andy I’m out of breath reading your post. Any chance of a full stop at some point to help the lungs ��.
As for last night, we have to be supportive but I do feel a lot of our recruitment have been “punts” that I’m struggling to understand. I genuinely hope I’m wrong.
Thought Clark showed his class and echo Finley comments. Is Clark entering last season of contract and if so will there be an extension ?
Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 18:01   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpson View Post
It’s probably my age, but Andy I’m out of breath reading your post. Any chance of a full stop at some point to help the lungs ��.
As for last night, we have to be supportive but I do feel a lot of our recruitment have been “punts” that I’m struggling to understand. I genuinely hope I’m wrong.
Thought Clark showed his class and echo Finley comments. Is Clark entering last season of contract and if so will there be an extension ?
Sorry was eating tea at the same time will try punctuation more often.
Old 15-08-2019, 18:03   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpson View Post
I,m not sure about punts our team will have had them watched hopefully but a lot are young lads and we do have under 23 commitments as well this season.
Old 15-08-2019, 19:03   #14
Senior Member+

Clark is in his final year (club took up the one year option).
He’s free to speak to other clubs from January.
accytom18 likes this.
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 20:59   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Eight View Post
Clark is in his final year (club took up the one year option).
He’s free to speak to other clubs from January.
That’s my understanding and partly why I am underwhelmed by our signings either as replacements for him or as enticement to sign a new contract. If he goes I wish him well.
Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..