Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-01-2007, 10:13   #31
God Member

Re: Cash bid for Conference striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF View Post
surely we should be looking to tighten up the defence by signing a decent centre half.
The thing is, we have the quality here. We just need a defensive minded coach and a decent goalkeeping coach to get the best out of the defensive players.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-01-2007, 12:46   #32
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
The thing is, we have the quality here. We just need a defensive minded coach and a decent goalkeeping coach to get the best out of the defensive players.
Agreed. This is a recurring theme. Several people have noted that Rob Elliott is not the player he was last season. I'm sure that we are missing Andy Dibble's input.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2007, 12:51   #33
Resting In Peace

Quote:
You can coach somebody 24 hours a day and they won't improve. We have NOT got the quality in defence, we have played 28 league games, we have only had TWO clean sheets and we have conceded 52 goals in the other 26 games (average 2 per game), if you call that quality how many goals would a defence that you consider as bad have conceded by now. Face it, our defence is rubbish, no organisation and not much quality. We need a leader in defence, the sooner the better.
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2007, 13:05   #34
God Member

Quote:
You can coach somebody 24 hours a day and they won't improve.
That's rubbish.
Take Bavs for example. Before Stanley he was a wasted talent & when he came here Andy Dibble brought out the best in him.
As soon as Dibs leaves it all goes arse over tits & Elliot is going downhill aswell.
Old 18-01-2007, 13:05   #35
Senior Member+

Apparently a bid was made for Donaldson at York.
Old 18-01-2007, 13:45   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
Apparently a bid was made for Donaldson at York.
And rejected.

According to the BBC website, it was a cash and player offer (6 figures aswell ) but the club are dead set on keeping their hitman.

We have also missed out on a central defender and the other striker for a 5 figure sum was rejected.

Add to that Jacobson leaving aswell... what will happen next?
Old 18-01-2007, 14:24   #37
Senior Member+

A smaller squad.
Old 18-01-2007, 15:58   #38
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
if the move was designed to unsettle the player so that he demands to leave then fair do's, but as they had stated previously that somebody had offered £250, 000 and then slapped a ridiculous £500, 000 it was never gonna work was it?
Unsettle a player at a club that is much, much bigger than yours?

How is that going to work then?

Seriously, your chairman and manager were having a right laugh. Firstly with the amount of money and player offered, and secondly, thinking that Donaldson would actually even think about coming to Accrington.

I do hope, however, that your team stays up this season. Only so we can play you twice next season. And this time we might actually be able to get into the ground, eh? T'would be nice.
Rafferz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2007, 15:59   #39
Resting In Peace

Quote:
That's rubbish.
Take Bavs for example. Before Stanley he was a wasted talent & when he came here Andy Dibble brought out the best in him.
As soon as Dibs leaves it all goes arse over tits & Elliot is going downhill aswell.
I said that you could coach somebody for 24 hours a day and they wouldn't improve. I didn't say that you could coach everybody and they wouldn't improve. People reach their peak where they cannot improve any more and then they have gone as far as they can go. I don't think any coaching will improve our defence, basically it needs replacing.
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2007, 16:13   #40
Senior Member+

Quote:
You can coach somebody 24 hours a day and they won't improve. We have NOT got the quality in defence, we have played 28 league games, we have only had TWO clean sheets and we have conceded 52 goals in the other 26 games (average 2 per game), if you call that quality how many goals would a defence that you consider as bad have conceded by now. Face it, our defence is rubbish, no organisation and not much quality. We need a leader in defence, the sooner the better.
I'm not sure that we are talkin about coaching individuals, more about helping the defence to function as an organised unit. I can't agree that there is "no organisation", but the organisation could be improved - and that's where a good coach comes in. I think that both Leam Richardson and Michael Welch are good leaders in defence. I have not checked but I wonder how often we have kept the same back four in the 26 games you mention. Constant change is not helpful in creating good understanding.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2007, 16:23   #41

Thumbs down Re: Cash bid for Conference striker

What a complete and utter waste of both Clubs' time. Are Coleman and Whalley completely stupid?

Bearing in mind that we dismissed out of hand a £100,000 bid from Peterborough 2 weeks ago, what exactly was the point of offering, firstly a 5 figure sum, and then later £110,000 - particularly when one of our directors has gone on record saying that we'd only accept a ridiculously high bid? I can only think that Whalley sees this as some kind of Google Page Ranking exercise.

Of course, I'm sure Clayton was drooling at the thought of joining a Club who regularly draw crowds of less than 1,500, even though you've reached the highest position in your short history
tonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2007, 16:36   #42
God Member

Innit fun having the crack with conference fans again!
Old 18-01-2007, 16:50   #43
Junior Member+

Get used to it.

Meanwhile, we're just warming up with Football League wannabe's.

Seriously. I was mereley asking you lot why the Hell you think your club made this bid?

Firstly, it's not enough. Secondly, he simply wouldn't come. He wants to better himself. Which, in my reckoning, leaves only three clubs currently in your division who he'd even think about joining.

Do you not realise who we are?

Thought not. You were non-league for way too long...
Rafferz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2007, 17:04   #44
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafferz
Well in music terms...we are like The Beatles.
That'd make you the Cheeky Girls, right?

Seriously though - have no idea why we made the bid. There was obviously no chance of success with it. Probably just trying to offload one of our players to be honest.
Old 18-01-2007, 17:06   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafferz View Post

Don`t get ahead of yourself City boy you may have more league experience than us but you`re no football superpower.

No-One is completely useless........
They can always serve as a bad example.
www.panjenix.co.uk
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..