Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree56Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-08-2018, 15:01   #1

Charlton - Finley is our new god!

Finley having a great game, Big Ben doing well.
The rest struggling a bit but looking better towards the end.
We can still get a point from this.
Greger and choirboy like this.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-08-2018, 15:40   #2
God Member

Re: Charlton - Finley is our new god!

Goooaaallllaa . 1-1
choirboy likes this.
Kiwi John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 15:58   #3
God Member

1-1 I'll take the point.
choirboy likes this.
Kiwi John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 16:15   #4

Showing the same spirit as last season to grind out a result. Agree with lord D's half time appraisal. We pressurised the Charlton goal well second half and deserved the equaliser. Finlay looked good all game. Sykes had a bit of a struggle. Charlton looked dangerous all game. We played too many heading practice crosses for the Charlton defence for me. I will let someone else start the midfield and Scott brown debate!
Did the Charlton's goal cross the line? I want to see the var replay!

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
chevyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 16:17   #5

Overall I thought Clark was MOTM. Finley was quit second half.
New left back look composed when he came on for Big Ben (I think it’s fair to say Coley doesn’t rate him).
McConville had a really good game as did Johnson.
The rest were ok but still struggled with a higher level I thought.
Kee was completely anonymous apart from a first half header he put wide.

Full marks for Coley for turning this match around. We finished better and fitter.
Old 18-08-2018, 16:22   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Was a definate goal Chevvy,well crossed the line.Johnson MoM for us, The second half we were well on top, to me because the "Subs" were used early enough for once, they made a huge difference, Last season we played 2 up front and both strikers got a fair share of goals, so why Billy was played on his own today defies logic as far as i'm concerned.
Old 18-08-2018, 16:31   #7
Full Member+

Agree with most of what has been said. I thought we were punching a bit above our weight today but we got the valuable point. We will have to up our game as some of the passing and communication is awful. How many second balls did we win? we seemed to be a team of strangers at times as we were caught out dithering on the ball as there was no one in a passing position. It is in gams like this that we can all spot our weaknesses and hopefully work on them. You could tell Donacien was missing. We do need to have two strikers up front in this league, Billy had no chance today. I have to question if he is up to playing in this league.
pifco and Lord Stiffupperlip like this.
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 16:34   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Was a definate goal Chevvy,well crossed the line.Johnson MoM for us, The second half we were well on top, to me because the "Subs" were used early enough for once, they made a huge difference, Last season we played 2 up front and both strikers got a fair share of goals, so why Billy was played on his own today defies logic as far as i'm concerned.
Because he's the only decent striker we've got at the club Cashy... Clark mom for me
Red-Osbornello likes this.
Old 18-08-2018, 16:38   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Love Rocket View Post
Because he's the only decent striker we've got at the club Cashy... Clark mom for me
I agree but Billy needs a partner much better altogether when he has. also thought the save Rippers made at death was a cracker.

Last edited by cashman; 18-08-2018 at 16:40.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 16:39   #10

Oxford on Tuesday.

Played 3, lost 3, GD -9, bottom.

A banana skin for us then.
Lord Love Rocket likes this.
Old 18-08-2018, 16:50   #11

If someone had offered me 4 points from 3 games before the season I would have taken it.

Not a banana skin, lord d, every game is an opportunity.
Tom D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 17:01   #12
God Member

Good game today we are still finding our level and Coley is looking for his best 11 a draw against one of the favourites isn't bad and we looked fitter than them at the end , left back looked good as did Finley still need to muscle up in midfield especially in the early stages off a game desperately need a couple of strikers in on loan but 4 points isn't bad and 2 away games coming up were I can see us bringing home the points.
AccyMad and choirboy like this.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 19:11   #13
Senior Member+

Must admit I was surprised to see Kee on his own up top.

Apparently he also had a foot injury , definitely need a reinforcement or 2 up front !

Also agree, 100% I would have taken 4 points from 3 games before the season started.
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 20:14   #14
Senior Member+

The foot injury for Billy is a big worry.
We’re already lightweight up front.
Finally finally got to see Jordan play on the left albeit a cameo.. I would love to see him play there more often.
Got to be honest and say we were second best for long periods today so point gained rather than two lost.
On to the next one ......
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 20:28   #15
Senior Member+

I agree with most of the comments made so far.
Billy up front alone was going to be a struggle especially against their BIG No5!
(Also a struggle if Billy was carrying a knock.)
We seemed to be playing an odd sort of 'Christmas Tree' formation;

Kee
Finley
Clarke McConville
Brown Coneely
Johnson Sykes Hughes Big Ben
Ripley

It was a truly wonderful Minute of Applause for STANLEY LEGEND DAVE HARGREAVES before the kick off!

I thought that our best players today were Johnson and Finley.
Finley was all over the field playing with a maturity, creativity and control reminiscent of Jimmy Ryan at his best for us. Johnson is a really dynamic attacking full back and is close to being as good as Janoi was last season.
We lacked punch up front with Billy playing solo against a 'Big Beast' and we seemed to be lacking in midfield where we seemed to be.... 'a man short!'
Ripley looks like a good signing as does the new lad Anderton at left back who came on as sub for Big Ben who also had a good game! It will be interesting to see who Coley and Jimmy opt for on Tuesday v Oxford at left back.

The game started evenly but once Charlton scored from a classic breakout after defending a corner, they seemed to be controlling the game whilst playing on 'Cruise Control' for a good hour. Had Charlton scored a second goal I think that they could have run out easy winners.
It was when Coley did the two substitutions that we upped our game with the extra pace of Zanzala causing Charlton more problems. Anderton nearly scored a debut goal with a powerful header and this whipped our lads up into full attacking mode! Sean and Clicker really got going and put the Charlton defence under a lot of pressure which finally told with a goal at the third attempt from Clicker Clarke!
In the end I honestly think that Stanley did well to get a point out of the match
and that Charlton will be disappointed with the fact that they sat back on a one goal lead.
One thing about Stanley is that they NEVER GIVE UP!
Well done lads!
14th in League One at the moment.
And I for one will be happy if we are 14th at the end of the season!
ON STANLEY ON
AccyMad, cashman, yonmon and 2 others like this.

Last edited by choirboy; 18-08-2018 at 20:38.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..