Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-09-2017, 07:02   #16
God Member

Re: Cheltenham match thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
Dull match, very flat & dull atmosphere to match it - felt at times like I was watching an end of season game when there's nothing to play for.
Hopefully, a blip & we forget it & move on.
and feeling the worst about the game.missed yesterday after feeling more than a bit under the weather after a week back in monkey hanger land . certain games in a season seem to have less quality than others. never seen a good game with cheltenham or yeovil involved. stanley always seem to get dragged down to teams levels and feel more optimistic when we play the so called better sides.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-09-2017, 08:52   #17
God Member

We've all heard the old adage about Stanley playing better against good teams but, notwithstanding how such talk must incentivise so-called "worse" teams (and there rarely are any in the professional leagues), unless the team and management can figure out a way of overcoming sides which come to stop Stanley playing their 'beautiful' game there will be more teeth-gnashing at The Crown. But, however disappointing the performance, at least it was a draw and one more point towards the first target of the season.
chevyfire likes this.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 08:54   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revived Red View Post
I have seen Stanley twice this season. The first time was at Yeovil, the second was today. Clearly I am the reason for the poor performances.
How much to stay away from FGR, Bernard?
AccyMad, sherry and monkey hanger like this.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 09:43   #19
God Member

It appears Jackson has,nt been fully fit from the start of the season what a player he,ll be fit so time to rest him and get him mended give somebody else a crack tuesday night and move on to another game today we were,nt at our best for whatever reason but we managed a draw last season we would have lost that no easy games at this level we are a young side and will slowly learn and improve you don,t become a poor side on 1 game just a mention for Chapman who get,s a lot of stick he saved the points yesterday with a world class save at the death.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 10:22   #20
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
How much to stay away from FGR, Bernard?
The good news is that I can't go to FGR!!
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 18:03   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyd View Post
It appears Jackson has,nt been fully fit from the start of the season what a player he,ll be fit so time to rest him and get him mended give somebody else a crack tuesday night and move on to another game today we were,nt at our best for whatever reason but we managed a draw last season we would have lost that no easy games at this level we are a young side and will slowly learn and improve you don,t become a poor side on 1 game just a mention for Chapman who get,s a lot of stick he saved the points yesterday with a world class save at the death.
Have you seen the highlights?

It was a good save, but not world class and in my opinion no where near enough to make up for his terrible effort for their goal.

He could've stood still and saved the damned shot he dived out of the way of it!
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 21:56   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamF View Post
It was a good save, but not world class and in my opinion no where near enough to make up for his terrible effort for their goal.
He could've stood still and saved the damned shot he dived out of the way of it!
Don't think you can blame Chapman for their goal.
Eisa outmuscled Forbes in the box & hit it almost at point blank range over Chapmans head. He certainly didn't 'dive out the way'.
If Jackson had scored it we'd all be celebrating a brilliant goal.
As for his last minute save. World class or not - it was the difference between one point & none!
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 06:28   #23

Smile Re: Cheltenham match thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip View Post
Don't think you can blame Chapman for their goal.
Eisa outmuscled Forbes in the box & hit it almost at point blank range over Chapmans head. He certainly didn't 'dive out the way'.
If Jackson had scored it we'd all be celebrating a brilliant goal.
As for his last minute save. World class or not - it was the difference between one point & none!
Hear.......Hear.......Mi Lord! Let's not start blaming who did what when. Good tactics by Gary Johnson stopped us playing our normal game, and we were below par on Saturday. Two away games gives Coley a chance to sort their heads out..... before two key home games (ignoring the Trophy!).
AccyMad likes this.
Crown Grounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 08:14   #24
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Have to say i thought Chappers was at fault, until i saw the highlights, in fact watched it about 4/5 times, no way was it.
Old 25-09-2017, 09:20   #25

Anyone know why Conneely was taken off with only 5 mins to go?
Is he injured or was it tactical?

If it was tactical it was a bit late in the day.
Inspector Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 11:26   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamF View Post

Didn't only see the highlights, saw the whole game live at the Crown - did you?
Seems for some people Chapman is the new whipping boy - the highlights only showed one of the two brilliant saves he made close together towards the end of the match
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 12:32   #27

Who'd be a goalie eh???
Goals aren't always conceded when they pass the goalkeepers hands.
Sometimes they're created in the opponents penalty area, from a mistake or a miss-pass.
Last year, Chapman spent all season warming the bench.
The only time he got on the field was a half-time kick about with the subs
But he always had a smile on his face & accepted his no.2 role with good grace.
He may not be the best keeper in league 2, but he's our keeper & the only one we've got.
I for one think he's played well so far this season.
Let's all give the guy a break.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 12:59   #28

Lord Stiff - I think you have summed Chappers up nicely.
I have to admit that from what I saw of him last year he massively unnerves me and deep down I know I would welcome Jeff back with open arms. That might just be paranoia on my part.

However, I do like his attitude and have to say that he hasn't made any out and out blunders of late. Maybe he could have done a bit better with a couple of goals (debateable) but no doubt the same could be said of many a keeper.

He's doing a decent job, playing as well as his abilities allow and you can't have a go at a chap for that.
AccyMad likes this.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 13:03   #29
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
Didn't only see the highlights, saw the whole game live at the Crown - did you?
Seems for some people Chapman is the new whipping boy - the highlights only showed one of the two brilliant saves he made close together towards the end of the match
I doubt very much if he was at the game, everyone yon knows damn well there were 2 good saves near the end, yet sam dont seem too.
Old 25-09-2017, 13:34   #30

Lord Stiff- Chapman was effectively our no1 till Rodak came in (January).
He wasn't up to it last season and doesn't look good enough this season hence why we've brought in 2 other keepers.
Not having a go at him he's a good bloke (and our only fit keeper)and I'm sure he's doing his best and I would love nothing more than to be proved wrong.
Inspector Morse is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..