Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-09-2017, 11:11   #1
God Member

Cheltenham match thread.

First of 3 games against 3 of the bottom 4 teams I know the table is only early days would like us to really start on the front foot today and take the game by the scruff of the neck 3 points today and 6 from the 2 away games would warrant an excellent start and after 11 games the table will then start to take shape and hopefully we will have the 2 injured players back for the run in up to xmas.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-09-2017, 11:43   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Cheltenham match thread.

3 pts today and 4 from the 2 aways will be a great total for me. though i wont bitch if we get 6 from em,
Old 23-09-2017, 13:36   #3

Team news
Champan, Forbes, rawson, Hughes, donacien, conneely, nolan, Clark, McConville, kee, Jackson

Subs
Wolland (gk), dallison, skyes, brown, McLeod, Johnson, wilks
Old 23-09-2017, 14:40   #4
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

1 - 1 kaydon
Old 23-09-2017, 15:15   #5

1321 attandance, pretty poor!
Old 23-09-2017, 15:23   #6

Jackson off injured, been injured most of the season according to the media, wilks on
Old 23-09-2017, 16:09   #7

Oh dear, what a let down. Really didn't happen for us in the second half after what I thought was a very good first.

Don was MOTM in my humble opinion. Of that I'm sure we agree. Jackson continues to impress.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 16:23   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

First half played ok i thought, second half was like watching a match up Bullough Park, Shocking,Thought Forbes had a real shocker, his distribution was disgraceful, to me shoulda been replaced at half time, yet stayed on the full 90 mins.Also thought it was daft keeping Jackson on for start of second half, considering we got a game on tuesday, anyone could see he was injured after he scored.
Old 23-09-2017, 16:43   #9
God Member

I'll not bother stating what I thought of that, I'll get banned
Old 23-09-2017, 17:10   #10
Senior Member+

I thought that it was a match of two halves today.
First half we were very good and should have been three goals to the good!
We had two or three penalty shouts
but I don't think that our players helped the referee by trying to dramatically make more of the fouls than was needed! Kayden was electric until he got the injury which occurred a couple of minutes before he scored the equalizer.
We should have subbed him at half time IMHO.

The second half was in total contrast and was a very scrappy affair mainly due to the referee not applying the rules regarding pushing! The longer the match went on the more players on both sides were leaning and pushing and wrestling each other. The referee seemed only to want the game "to flow" by waving appeals for free kicks away and by 'playing on'.

I have seen this referee before and I reckon once again that he will think that he had a good game today as he awarded only seven free kicks against us and only thirteen against Cheltenham and only two players were booked. When will referees like this chap realise that the statistics don't judge whether he had a good game or not it is the quality of the match that does!
He should have been sterner with the players earlier, he could have booked a couple early on and stopped them from playing in this niggly fashion!
Totally frustrated at the end as was 'The Governor' Mark Hughes who was getting really fed up with the referee's inability to apply the rules!
KiTChener likes this.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 17:57   #11

Without doubt the poorest performance I've witnessed this season at the Wham.
On Tuesday night, Stanley's reserves managed to surpass a much better side than Cheltenham, but our 'A' team contrived to make them look a half decent team, despite their poor recent form.
Gone was Tuesday's confident display of slick passing.
Gone was the direct attacking football, the speedy wing play.
Instead, we looked like a team of eleven strangers, due largely to the clever game plan adopted by CTFC, who simply pressed us into error after error.
In fact, if it hadn't been for a couple of last ditch saves by Chapman late on, we could easily have lost this game.
Couldn't believe Clark, a natural right-winger & one of our better players, was replaced by McLeod - a natural left-winger???
Likewise Scotty Brown, Tuesday night's dynamo, was brought on in the 85th minute, after Conneely put in a less than impressive performance.
Sorry Mr Coleman, you were out-thought today.
Cheltenham achieved exactly what they came for - a well deserved draw.
cashman and Revived Red like this.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 18:35   #12
God Member

Dull match, very flat & dull atmosphere to match it - felt at times like I was watching an end of season game when there's nothing to play for.
Hopefully, a blip & we forget it & move on.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 19:03   #13

Kee and Jackson continued to look lethal combining up front. But when kayden was forced of we didn't look the same team and could not get are mojo going in the second half. Wilkes and Forbes (occasionally looked good going forward but gave ball away far to often in bad positions) who looked good on Tuesday against an u21, struggled when taking on the seniors of Cheltenham. I feel abit sorry for Jonny edwards, he seems at least on par as a player to wilks for me. Clark had a few good moments but was knocked of the ball very easily quite a few times today. As I have mentioned before every league 2 game is a battle and if you don't scrap hard enough you won't get the 3 points.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
chevyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 19:05   #14

P.s. I agree the crowd was a bit flat today. I would like more Clayton Ender's to have joined in singing. When we create an atmosphere I do think it lifts the players and gives the team an extra few percent. I like the kayden Jackson song a few lads where singing!

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
chevyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 22:37   #15
Senior Member+

I have seen Stanley twice this season. The first time was at Yeovil, the second was today. Clearly I am the reason for the poor performances.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..