Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2010, 07:59   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Cheltenham stewards

Yep he talking to Luke the Grimsby fan there Accy Mad!! Its just a touch early in the morning for me too!!
sparkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-05-2010, 08:58   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
wake up, think nige is refering to grimsby fans.
Whoops, sorry - guess it's still a bit of a sore subject & I'm not at my best first thing, apologies again
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:22   #18
God Member

I'm surprised this thread hasn't generated more comments than it has. I emailed CTFC to express my disgust at the behaviour of their stewards but, maybe like me, most people realise that nothing will happen.
The only recourse that away fans have towards such legalised thuggery is to refuse to visit grounds where the stewards behave like hooligans. But that means not following your team; impossible for some fans to even contemplate.

But if no away fans turned up at Whaddon Road next season it would cost Cheltenham twice over, not only in lost revenue but also in the money they would waste on paying for the stewards that are not be needed.

I was impressed by the strength of character shown by the Stanley fans who walked out rather than be treated like criminals but, by then, CTFC had pocketed the gate money. Maybe next season Stanley fans should think about whether they want to reward CTFC with more of their hard earned money and spend it on champagne in The Crown instead.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:36   #19
God Member

I think more of the comments are on the matchday thread, as far as I can tell quite a lot of us have either emailed or written to CTFC - whether or not they do anything remains to be seen but either way I for one will certainly not be making the trip there again.
I was amongst those who walked out & my only regret at doing that was that we missed the chance to applaud our players at the end of the game but I still think we did the right thing.
I have also posted on the Cheltenham forum as some of the posts on there are so far from the truth it's unreal (according to one fans post apparently we had some rovers & burnley fans with us who had only gone to cause trouble ??? )
Old 12-05-2010, 15:35   #20
Senior Member+

I never went in on Saturday, partly because I presumed they wouldn't let me in after nearly being arrested (for starting a peaceful march from pub to Crown) and partly because of all the fuss, all the police & all the aggresive stewards we were faced with t the away entrance.

What I was bowled over about is the solidarity of the support. There were 10 or so who flatly refused to go in. Then many many more who left because of the way they were treated. A few others tried to leave & weren't allowed!!!!!

I was very very proud because you see division amongst other League 2 clubs all the time over trivial issues. Have a look at RobinsNest forum & they are having a "our stand i better than yours" debate...

I will support a blanket ban on Whaddon Road next season, but tbf it must be strictly enforced & supported or it will just look like we travelled poorly. Maybe, if fans are desperate to see the game, then go in the home ends & be quiet. I will stay at home as requested & spend the £100 or so, on club shop, crown & some more red & white material!

On Stanley On!

The Voice of the Terrace

www.stanleyultras.co.uk

Willie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 16:11   #21
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
But if no away fans turned up at Whaddon Road next season it would cost Cheltenham twice over, not only in lost revenue but also in the money they would waste on paying for the stewards that are not be needed.
Would that not affect the Stanly players, not having any supporters cheering them on ? I think that it would only have a negative effect by boycotting the game. If the game is near the end of the season and Stanley need the points for automatic promotion or a play-off place, would you still not attend the game ?
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 16:20   #22

i will miss it to ill bye sum new tops from club in stead
Grimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 16:22   #23
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF View Post
Would that not affect the Stanly players, not having any supporters cheering them on ? I think that it would only have a negative effect by boycotting the game. If the game is near the end of the season and Stanley need the points for automatic promotion or a play-off place, would you still not attend the game ?
Fair point but I think sometimes you have to stand up for what you believe in

The Voice of the Terrace

www.stanleyultras.co.uk

Willie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 16:25   #24
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
I have also posted on the Cheltenham forum as some of the posts on there are so far from the truth it's unreal (according to one fans post apparently we had some rovers & burnley fans with us who had only gone to cause trouble ??? )
which forum did you post on?
elchuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 16:26   #25
Super Moderator

Boycott or no boycott, I don't think many fans will be going anyway after the sickening scenes we saw and the way we were treated. I'd certainly rather spend the £60 return from Piccadilly (plus admission etc) on something else. Might even sponsor a player's shirt with the money I'll save by not going!
Old 12-05-2010, 16:50   #26
Senior Member+

stand outside and sing!! we would still be louder than them!!o wait standing in groups of more than two might be a hooligan group!!!

The Harder The Conflict, The More Glorious The Triumph

MCR ADIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 17:14   #27
God Member

The Football League | About Us | Customer Charter | FOOTBALL LEAGUE CUSTOMER CHARTER

Not sure if the link is of any use

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 18:22   #28
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchuddy View Post
which forum did you post on?
I posted on the Robins Nest forum, had to slightly change my name to stanleymad (sorry Mel ), for some reason I couldn't register as AccyMad & it was the nearest I could think of)
Old 12-05-2010, 18:36   #29
God Member

Just had a look back on their forum, my post had received a few comments (one not so nice) so tried to post again only the thread has now been locked & no further comments can be made - oh well at least i got to say my piece on what actually happened, not really bothered if some of their lot don't believe it, hopefully the truth will come out
Old 13-05-2010, 11:20   #30
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Miller View Post
Fair point but I think sometimes you have to stand up for what you believe in
I'm with you on this, Willie. It's the ONLY sanction fans have against the fluorescent bully boys and clubs who pay them and, to be honest, I'd hope the players would understand that it was an exception. Obviously if it's the decider at the end of next season, then would need to reconsider. But it may even generate media coverage if Stanley fans agreed they would boycott this one away fixture. Course CTFC couldn't risk it being a bluff so would have to employ the stewards anyway. The biggest problem would be convincing everyone; if half a dozen, who weren't aware of or didn't care about the boycott, turned up it would take the edge off it. I wonder what the revitalised OSC think about it?
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..