Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-05-2010, 09:22   #46
God Member

Re: Cheltenham stewards

Thanks for your comments, no-one's saying there's not bad stewarding at other grounds - just that this is the worst we've ever experienced and for a lot of us a total shock.
You say Cheltenham is no Millwall or Cardiff & you're probably right but that also applies to the Stanley fans, there is never any trouble from them whatsoever which made what happened on Saturday just unbelievable.
The flags will certainly keep flying - at least at grounds where they're allowed to
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-05-2010, 09:32   #47
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

I think my friend ya dont know what yer talking about! 2 seriously injured senior fans is hardly "milking it a bit"
Old 19-05-2010, 12:23   #48
God Member

Don't wish to rake up old coals on this topic but, for those who may be interested, I've just had a reply from the Football League asking if I'd had a response to my email to the Safety Manager at Cheltenham Town, and making this offer:
"Should this not be the case, please inform us and we will contact them for their observations"
This offer came from:
Nick Jones
Customer Services Officer
The Football League Ltd
Email: [email protected]
www.football-league.co.uk

As I haven't heard anything back from CTFC (and didn't expect to) I've told Nick Jones that I'd be interested in any response he could extract from the club.
I'll let you know if I hear anymore.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 13:56   #49

I have still not heard anything yet from cheltenham has anyone else ?
kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 14:36   #50
God Member

Not heard a dickie bird either, interesting reply from the football league - maybe all who contacted Cheltenham but haven't received any reply should contact them if we've still not heard anything by beginning of next week
Old 19-05-2010, 17:56   #51
Senior Member+

The Football Ground Guide has a page for fans to add their experiences of visiting other grounds:
Football Ground Guide: Submit You Own Ground Reviews.

I'm sure Stanley fans' comments on Cheltenham will be appreciated!

The Cheltenham page is here:
Football Ground Guide: Whaddon Road, Cheltenham Town FC
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 18:35   #52
God Member

It looks like Exeter had a rough time.
Redash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 22:43   #53
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redash View Post
It looks like Exeter had a rough time.
And Chesterfield fans had a similar experience:
Cheltenham -v- Chesterfield - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 22:55   #54
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
And Chesterfield fans had a similar experience:
Cheltenham -v- Chesterfield - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC
Seems stanley was not n isolated incident, yet the Cheltenham F.C. club backs these stewards to the hilt, this Paul Gordon guy who folk complain to,must be some kinda THUG himself.
Old 20-05-2010, 16:12   #55
God Member

Just received a reply from CTFC as follows:
Thank you for your email with regard to the Cheltenham Town v Accrington Stanley match on Saturday 8 May and please accept our apologies for the delay in reply. Unfortunately your email was not forwarded to me straight away.

This particular fixture presented a number of issues for both the stewards and police as a number of Accrington Stanley supporters arrived at the ground under the influence of alcohol and proceeded to commit a series of criminal offences and breaches of Football League Ground regulations.

With specific regard to the flag, on two occasions during the afternoon Accrington supporters had set off flares inside the ground. Entering a football ground with such an object and setting it off are both criminal offences. The Accrington supporters were informed by the stewards that they would not be permitted to unfurl a large flag due to the fire risk associated with its proximity to any further flare releases. Unfortunately the Accrington supporters reacted negatively and the stewards were met with further abusive behaviour.

Having reviewed the stewards’ reports, CCTV footage of the afternoon and having received feedback from the police, the Board are satisfied that the stewarding and safety management was commensurate with the challenges posed by the visiting supporters. This assertion is supported by extensive CCTV evidence of the incidents in question.

Yours sincerely

Paul Godfrey
Director/Football Secretary, Cheltenham Town AFC Ltd

Direct dial 01242 588118 Mobile 07747 776850

Cheltenham Town Football Club,Whaddon Road Cheltenham Glos GL52 5NA
More or less what one might have expected.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2010, 16:26   #56
God Member

True, it's probably as expected - even if most of it is lies.
There were not 2 flares set off inside the ground, one small smoke bomb was just before kick off but that was it.
With regard to the flag, their stewards said nothing about a fire risk, in fact the only comment I heard them say was that it couldn't be unfurled because it was too big - the 'abusive behaviour' their stewards were met with regarding the flag was because as they were trying to pull it away from our fans they ripped a large hole in it which then ended up around the elderly gentleman's neck.
Our fans were trying to lift it off this man but were impeded by both stewards & police alike. But for the swift actions of Alan Clitheroe I dread to think what could have happened.
They don't mention either of our fans who were injured by the actions of one of their stewards but as has been said already it appears it's not just us who have faced problems at Cheltenham so it's unlikely anything will be done.
I know the family of the 15 years old who who was injured while he was being forcibly ejected by said steward are pressing charges against him & I really hope the charges are made to stick.
Old 20-05-2010, 18:31   #57
God Member

Accy Observer carries a similar response from Cheltenham police who are satisfied with their conduct and this is backed up by extensive CCTV.
Old 20-05-2010, 18:33   #58
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
Accy Observer carries a similar response from Cheltenham police who are satisfied with their conduct and this is backed up by extensive CCTV.
Well they would say that!!! the one i spoke to didn't.
Old 24-05-2010, 10:42   #59
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
There were not 2 flares set off inside the ground, one small smoke bomb was just before kick off but that was it.
After the trouble at home games with smoke you would think whoever let that off would have known better.
Old 24-05-2010, 11:48   #60
God Member

Has anyone noticed how they always say there is conclusive cctv evidence but there is never an invitation to view it, not even an offer to send it to the club itself if they want to take up the matter on behalf of their fans.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..