Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-01-2018, 16:06   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Cheltenham Thread

A super 3 Points to the Stanley.
3rd place too with a helpful goal from Colchester at Wycombe!
ON STANLEY ON

choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-01-2018, 16:08   #17

Done well to have had a couple of games abandoned/postponed, a dismal run of defeats but back up to 3rd. Admittedly the oppo has not been the toughest.

A lot of teams in the chasing pack but Luton and Notts Co look catchable.

Absolutely anything could happen but if we get a midfielder in, or Nolan has a good run of form and we've got a great chance. Feels like a settled team with options off the bench.

Marvellous.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 16:45   #18
God Member

Great result against 1 of our "bogey" teams 3 wins 9 goals for 0 against confidence growing and may start to play with a bit of a swagger we have the players capable of doing this crucial stage of the season coming up and this is were the experience of John annd Jimmy plus Doolan the coach will be crucial in keeping the players focused especially the younger lads we could quite well win this league and we can play our part as supporters in pushing the lads all the way.
Outback Ozzy, cashman and Chrisr like this.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 18:20   #19
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

Enjoy Cheltenham 0-2 Accrington | Video | Watch TV Show | Sky Sports
choirboy and ferret man like this.
Old 13-01-2018, 18:24   #20
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Cheers mate i did enjoy.
mab likes this.
Old 13-01-2018, 18:37   #21
Senior Member+

Me too - looks like a game we could easily have lost 4-2 .

And I guess that's an assist for Aaron for the second goal , as well as a great save or two.
Old 13-01-2018, 19:19   #22
God Member

S'funny, but when I briefly lived in Glos I didn't realise it was a lucky place. But, for the second time this season, Mrs.Exile and I have gone there to watch Stanley play poorly, and yet come away with 3 points.
And what's even wierder is that none of the Stanley players had a bad game, it's just that, as a team, they rarely imposed themselves on what (IMHO) was a lively Cheltenham squad.
The difference was, in the first half, Stanley took their one chance, whilst the Robins' forwards would have racked up a lot more points if only they'd been playing rugby.
What the video of that goal didn't show was that Cheltenham's tallest defenders were suckered out of the danger zone by Hughes and Big Ben, leaving Billy free to nod in a pin-point corner from Captain McMarmite. If it was all a cunning plan, it was a well worked goal.
In the second, a fairly turgid match was enlivened by Jackson's willingness to chase and harry and to latch onto a pathetic attempt to head back to their keeper.
After that the only real football of the game broke out and it came almost exclusively from the home side. Stanley's defence did well to withstand the pressure, although they again needed luck on two occasions. The first to see the ball come back of the post and then, a moment later, back off the bar, and the second when Mr.Chapman misjudged a hanging ball on the edge of his area (his only mistake during the entire 90+ minutes) and Messrs Hughes and Donacien somehow managed to hook the ball out of the gaping open goal.
Good to see that, in Mr.Dunne, Stanley may at last have a natural left-back. Johnson played well before getting clogged but he seems wasted as right-back, and that is compounded by having to put Janoi on the left, where he seems much less assured than on his natural side of the pitch.
But, hey, three wins in a row, third place in the League, what's to complain about?
Well done, the men in white.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 19:42   #23
Senior Member+

The team spirit was great to see - players battling for the cause. You can't always win looking pretty sometimes you have to win ugly.
Janoi gets all the kudos for the line clearance - not Hughesy.
As for we could have lost 4 - 2 someone seems to have missed the sitter Billy missed with a header before he scored and the excellent save from a rasper from Clark.
Totally got what we deserved to today by working their nuts off for each other.
cashman, Chrisr and monkey hanger like this.
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 22:17   #24
Senior Member+

I missed nothing that that Sky clip showed me ..... thought it was pretty clear that was my point of reference, but some people always know better ....
AccyMad likes this.
Old 13-01-2018, 22:38   #25
Senior Member+

My apologies. I thought you were at the game got relying on the wee footage.
Chimer likes this.
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 08:44   #26
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

J.C.s after match video was very poor, the background noise made much of it impossible to hear!! Dan? can yeh do owt about this?
Old 14-01-2018, 09:38   #27
God Member

Cheers mate, Coley was correct, we did ride our luck at times

Not something that is said too often in a season

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 16:38   #28
Senior Member+

This one includes Janoi hoofing it off the line:
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...tenham+town+fc
cashman likes this.
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 12:21   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALAIRIAN View Post
Cheers mate, Coley was correct, we did ride our luck at times

Not something that is said too often in a season

totally true. how many games have we had proviously when the only luck we have had is bad. not bothered too much about the two sides above us its just the loads who could catch us up.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 19:18   #30
Senior Member+

It seems it was all down to the chairman's pre-match team talk:
https://www.facebook.com/23134272054...type=3&theater
Chimer likes this.
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..