Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-04-2012, 10:25   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Cheltenham Town Match Thread..........

Devitt and Craney where sick as parrots aparently.
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-04-2012, 13:14   #17
Full Member+

Question Re: Cheltenham Town Match Thread..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgie View Post
Just seen the highlights now...........

Nicholls aparently had a decent game, but agreed a couple of goals he looked like he could have done better.

Obviously Cooky & Leam are looking towards next season, which is why the changes where made.

Cant help thinking we will be seeing a number of new faces next season.

First port of call, a bloody goalkeeper or two !

"First port of call, a bloody goalkeeper or two" I bet Sean Murdoch is still out there waiting for someone to pick him up. One of the best keepers we've had, yet he left the club!
winstanley asfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 13:22   #18
Senior Member+

Not sure about one of the best.

Thought he was better than the two we have the moment, that's for sure!
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 19:23   #19
Resting in Peace

I see Toto had a few "moments" with Jimmy Spencer at Cheltenham. I remember him being a dirty swine when we played the Shrimps last year and he had to be substituted to avoid getting sent off.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 12:17   #20
God Member

I saw the BBC 'highlights' and the match, and the latter was nothing like the former. Cheltenham (like many other teams) were bigger and stronger than Stanley, and have some good players (Pack ran the show) but were flattered by the scoreline. Poor defending gifted their goals and the 'highlights' didn't show Stanley's efforts.
Given the changes, I thought Stanley put some good passages of play together, they just never looked like scoring. Guthrie tried his hardest but he's just not big and ugly enough to make himself a threat, yet. The big plus was that Hughes looked to be back to his influential best.
Put Murphy, Winnard and a fit Hessey back into the defence and it would have been stronger. Toto is great to watch and clearly has ability, but is too easily distracted and is enticed into stupid reactions, and Willis was OK given he's spent this season sitting down. Liddle was playing just in front of the back four and did well at winning the ball. In fact, Liddle was the only Stanley player who ever came out of a 50/50 tackle with the ball. The Stanley's players need some body building ( but not the kind displayed by Craney) as, again, they were too easily knocked off the ball/tackle (shades of the play-off games last season against Satanage). Nicholls made a hash of the third goal from the free kick but also made quite a few excellent saves.
Upset tummies aside, I took the line up to be The Cook's trying out a few options that otherwise might never be tried.
Next season will be interesting.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 12:51   #21
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
The Stanley's players need some body building ( but not the kind displayed by Craney)
Good point. I hope that any additions Cooky makes to the squad will address this , as we have been woefully out muscled by our opponents in every game I've seen this season. Time to sign a few giants of our own! Geogahanon, anyone?
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..