Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2004, 08:09   #1
Senior Member+

Chester City punch up

BLUES chairman Stephen Vaughan floored a sports journalist during a bitter punch-up at an end-of-season victory awards dinner.

Mr Vaughan today refused to apologise for the bust up, claiming he acted in self-defence in the bust-up with the editor of the Non-League Newspaper, David Emery.
Mr Vaughan said the row erupted after Mr Emery approached him at a trophy dinner, telling him about an article about Chester City FC that was due to be printed the next day.
The article claimed that Chester City FC owed £18,000 in gate tickets to Hereford United – a claim that is completely unfounded, said Mr Vaughan.
“It simply was not true. I told Emery he needed to get his facts right to start with. He was aware that the money had been paid after a little bit of a delay because of new FA stipulations.
“The truth is that Chester City owed Hereford United £17,200 from ticket sales from Chester City’s last game of the season. Initially I had sent a cheque to Hereford Utd in the name of the management, Vaughan trading.
“Soon after, we heard of the new FA rules stipulating that third parties could not pay cheques and a letter of explanation and an apology was sent to Hereford Utd, along with a cheque transfer.”
The bust-up happened in front of club shareholder directors and City FC player Daryl Clare, who was at the dinner to collect a Golden Boot award.
Mr Vaughan, a boxer for most of his life, said: “David Emery was just inviting trouble from the start. He came over to me and introduced himself at the start of the evening as the editor of the Non-League Newspaper and he started telling me about an article about the club.
“Words were exchanged between us. I made my views known and at the end of the night David came over and had a go at me.”
Mr Vaughan said that things then became heated, leading to a fracas.
“I hit him; all I did was defend the club that I support that was being accused of wrong-doing. I am not apologising for it.
“Earlier in the night Mr Emery had made a suggestion that there had been a rift between me and Graham Turner, the manager of Hereford United. That was completely wrong. I had had my photograph taken with him on the night and in a speech I said I was bitterly disappointed for Hereford, who had not achieved what they wanted to in the league.
“That man spoiled the enjoyment of what should have been a great night for Chester City FC, and I have since put the matter in the hands of my solicitor.”
Mr Emery could not be contacted this morning.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:27   #2

Re: Chester City punch up

Cant imagine Eric 'defending' Stanley in this manner every time someone accused us of wrong-doing last season - no doubt there would have been uproar and the usual anti-Stanley bile. Obviously I dont know the all facts but from what this Mr.Vaughan is himself saying happened then I suggest that if he cant defend the club from accusations without using his fists then he isn't fit to be Chairman.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:50   #3
God Member

Agreed. The man sounds a complete a**ehole.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 09:15   #4
God Member

Sounds like their posh £100 a ticket do was worth the entrance money after all!!
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..