Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2017, 18:00   #1
God Member

Club receives fine

£2k fine for arguing with the referee after he gave a penalty and sent off Mark Hughes.

We lost the game (Hartlepool away) as a result of that decision, for which the red card was subsequently rescinded.
Old 09-02-2017, 18:07   #2
God Member

Re: Club receives fine

Not just the law that is an ass, then.
What's the justification for fining the club because someone (presumably Professor Coleman) argues against a decision that turns out to be wrong?
monkey hanger likes this.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 19:26   #3
God Member

I suppose (& I'm only playing devil's advocate here, not saying it's right) the fine is for the 'misconduct' of whoever it was who argued with the ref, even though the decision was wrong & subsequently overturned - as the saying goes two wrongs don't make a right.

Just a shame in these cases where it is found that the officials have made a mistake there is no recourse against them as apparently the men in black can do no wrong nor be challenged about their decisions at the time - maybe if the refs got fined for cocking things up they'd be a bit more selective with their decisions
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 20:01   #4
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
Not just the law that is an ass, then.
What's the justification for fining the club because someone (presumably Professor Coleman) argues against a decision that turns out to be wrong?
Respect - even if subsequently proved to be undeserved
Old 09-02-2017, 21:02   #5

The big boss man isn't happy about this either, and I am not either, I agree that referees deserve more respect like in rugby. Surely referees need more training as that red card,cost us the game which cost us 3 points which would of helped with promotion. For anyone who doesn't have social media here's what Mr Andy 'The Saviour' holt says

So we get another top refereeing decision @Official_HUFC Yosser gets sent off, they get a penalty. We argue with ref .@ASFCofficial 1.

.@ASFCofficial appeal this lousy decision and the red is rescinded. Even ref accepts decision wrong. Yosser can play, magic you may think 2.

.@ASFCofficial the our lads are fined £2,000 for arguing with the ref and his lousy decision. Lads that work bloody hard for little money 3.

.@ASFCofficial so we end up with penalty against, 10 men, loss of match, £2,000 fine to low paid lads, they're ****ed off, I'm ****ed off��4.

.@ASFCofficial and if I say how I feel I risk being accused of bringing the game into disrepute. PAY THE REF MORE, train them MORE 5.

.@ASFCofficial don't gag people for saying what they truly feel. I'm not bringing the game into disrepute. I'm not happy......����6

.@ASFCofficial cos my lads fined for reacting to a situation thrust upon them by bad, bad decision. If they didn't care we'd be finished. 7.

.@ASFCofficial on top of keeping the club going, covering losses, I will pay the fine, thanks for all your help @FA much appreciated. 8 ������M

.@ASFCofficial out of interest, an equivalent fine to our £2,000 @FA fine for players arguing with ref would be £430,000 for @ManUtd
Old 09-02-2017, 22:16   #6

I strongly disagree with Andy on this. Referee standards have improved over the years but they are human. They will make mistakes whether they are paid silly money or trained more.

Players know the rules - arguing with the ref is futile and out of order. If I was surrounded by angry people after every mistake I made my nerves would be shot to ribbons.

I'd also bet refs would perform better if they knew they wouldn't be hounded if they got something wrong.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 01:28   #7
Senior Member+

I agree with some of what you say and disagree with some.
Andy should be able to bite his tongue when he knows it won't do anyone any good, we all agree it was a bad decision. Players also know the rules but it,s hard not to make a comment when a wrong decision changes the game so badly.
Referees standards have improved over the years? WOW, referees are as bad now as they ever were, not sure what percentage of them have played the game but I would gamble it's a very small number, most of them don't understand how to read the game, they know the rules, maybe, but can't interpret them. They certainly wouldn't perform better if they didn't get any complaints, they would just assume that they are always right. They always were and continue to be, a necessary evil.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 01:55   #8
I am Banned

The rules were made clear at the start of the season that only the captain is allowed to approach the ref about decisions, if anything it's our own faults, they know the rules they should of stook to them
st06nc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:21   #9
God Member

being a referee and a stanley fan i can look at both sides of any arguement about this topic. was at the pools game and the ref got it wrong. coley got it wrong too. refs, linesmen and players get it wrong in games all the time. the problem is where officials are concerned there,s a feeling they are protected by the powers that be. there are certain ones like the guy at hartlepools seem to strut around with an arrogant attitude that winds players and managers up. it happens at all levels of our game. all you hear about is assaults both verbal and physical on officials. but i,ve done it now for over 24 years and never suffered any of it. it may help that i,m over 6ft. with a deep voice but i like to think that i understand the game and people in general. you don,t need to play it at the top level to referee but must understand it at all levels you officiate in.
ossy kid likes this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:19   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossy kid View Post
[snip] not sure what percentage of them have played the game but I would gamble it's a very small number[snip]
There are more referees who have played football than there are footballers who have refereed - OK, that's a statement of the blindingly obvious but I doubt there's a single referee who's never played at some level.

Perhaps not as obvious that in any game, almost every single player makes more mistakes than the referee - and they are (mostly) paid a lot more and are full-time. So why aren't the players flawless?

'Cos unfortunately it's not possible for them either
Old 10-02-2017, 10:06   #11
God Member

[QUOTE=Chimer;1187111]: but I doubt there's a single referee who's never played at some level.

apart from david ellary who wanted to be a referee from his early teens, most have fallen into it for some reason or other. a number of f.l. refs played for league youth teams and got released and others knew they were not going to make it as players. refereeing is then the obvious choice.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 11:10   #12
God Member

I agree with all the (wishful) thinking that football players should behave like (most) rugby players but the football blazers have resolutely resisted bringing in video technology to HELP their refs make better decisions, which would increase respect for those who have the difficult job of upholding the rules/laws.
At the highest level, and for the most critical decisions about points, sports such as tennis, cricket, and rugby have strengthened the hand of refs/umpires by, paradoxically, 'removing' them from the argument.
In the cup game this week, a player was booked by the ref for arguing that the opposition goalie deliberately handled the ball outside his area, which the ref nor linesman didn't see. Video showed the player was right, and that he was denied a clear goal scoring opportunity. How can cases like that, which continue to happen, increase respect amongst clubs, players, and fans for refs?
The only response the Blazers have made is to punish players, even when they are right to feel aggrieved.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 15:01   #13
Senior Member+

And thereby hangs one of the big problems, the "sweet F.A.". They could make the game so much easier to officiate if they joined every other major sport and went to video replay. As the saying goes, what can't speak, can't lie.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 17:06   #14
God Member

In football as in society, i believe that you should only be protected by the law when you are within the law yourself.
EG ... a burglar cannot sue for getting banjoed because he has broken the law by breaking in
EG ... if a footballer is arguing that a decision is wrong he is, according to tbe laws of the game, bookable. If that decision is subsequently found to be wrong then the booking shouldnt stand either.

Uf footballers just idly stood around and accepted every ba bag o'chite decision then the ref would saunter through every game without any care or thought
Old 10-02-2017, 17:59   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
In football as in society, i believe that you should only be protected by the law when you are within the law yourself.
EG ... a burglar cannot sue for getting banjoed because he has broken the law by breaking in

Tell that to Tony Martin then

EG ... if a footballer is arguing that a decision is wrong he is, according to tbe laws of the game, bookable. If that decision is subsequently found to be wrong then the booking shouldnt stand either.

No, if the decision is wrong then the person that g. ot sent off has it overturned. If the rule is you can't argue then don't and you won't get booked or fined

Uf footballers just idly stood around and accepted every ba bag o'chite decision then the ref would saunter through every game without any care or thought
Refs do their best but they aren't anywhere near perfect especially at our level and if we didn't have them there would be no game. A ref has to give an honest opinion based on what they see at the time without the luxury of all the replays we get today. If there weren't players that try to con refs then it would be easier too.

If you believe that refs are deliberately cheating then it's time to give up because it doesn't matter what decision they give at times one side often thinks it's wrong.

TV replays would be an option but how many cameras per ground is enough, how far down the leagues would it go and who is going to pay for it? And how long would a game last if we kept reviewing contentious decisions?

Highly trained refs who get every decision right would be great but it ain't going to happen
deeayess is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..