Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-01-2012, 22:28   #211
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis316 View Post
The loss of Coleman is akin to the loss of Galbraith - he knew the market for young Liverpudlian talent like Galbraith knew the Scottish. Like Galbraith Coleman is for that reason irreplaceable and I fear for the consequences for our club.
If yeh think that Haggis yeh had better be changing yer signature.we died in 62, aint gonna happen again,keep the faith.
Old 24-01-2012, 00:30   #212
God Member

well while we are comparing Galbraith and Coleman;

Galbraith built his successful teams around his fellow countrymen. His successful period did not produce the healthy bank accounts that the directors required and so they felt economy measures were necessary. Galbraith disagreed and so tendered his resignation.

Coleman built his successful teams around his fellow countrymen. His successful period did not produce the healthy bank accounts that the directors required so they felt economy measures were necessary. Coleman disagreed and so went to the next place that offered a job.

Coleman has long said that whilse the club remains ambitious there is a job still to do, but only on saturday said that if the sum total of the ambition was League 2 then we might as well still be in the Unibond.

In a quiky twist of almost fate, Galbraith's next job was at Bradford (would have been if they weren't such a small club as to not afford the compo) where he remained until he went to Tranmere Rovers.
Old 24-01-2012, 00:47   #213
God Member

ha, even better potential similarities between the two!!!!

Galbraith was replaced by George Eastham who at the time was managing an Irish club where he had taken them from the doldrums to European Cup status within 5 years!

I wonder if we know anyone with the same status ....
Old 24-01-2012, 01:41   #214
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post

Galbraith built his successful teams around his fellow countrymen. His successful period did not produce the healthy bank accounts that the directors required and so they felt economy measures were necessary. Galbraith disagreed and so tendered his resignation.

Coleman built his successful teams around his fellow countrymen. His successful period did not produce the healthy bank accounts that the directors required so they felt economy measures were necessary. Coleman disagreed and so went to the next place that offered a job.

Coleman has long said that whilse the club remains ambitious there is a job still to do, but only on saturday said that if the sum total of the ambition was League 2 then we might as well still be in the Unibond.
I know where you're coming from Macca....It's taken me all day to come to terms with this news...It really does suggest that he'd finally had enough of firefighting at Stanley and finally felt the time was right to move on......

We haven't backed him enough....It would have jarred anybody off, no end ,to continually have to re-build a squad every close season....I wish if only we'd have given Coley a little leeway. A few quid extra on the wagebill (league rules etc permitting ) a few quid to go and spend on an up and coming starlet from non-league....Losing Proccy probably was " the straw that broke the camels back" so to speak......

And Why, O Why, do we chose to continually do our business behind closed doors so to speak....by that I mean all these "undisclosed fees" received???? Am I right in saying that the only transfer from recent years that we've disclosed exactly what we've received is from Ryan going to Scunthorpe??? When the Tribunal HAD to release details of the transfer!!!!

Does anybody on here seriously think the compensation package ( if and when it's finally agreed ) will be anything different????

To me it's only relevant to do such a deal if we're actually going to use the money to buy new players.(or even go after a manager,who we might have to pay compensation for and with half an idea how to spend such money) If we're not going to spend the money we're getting, what are all these "undisclosed fees" hiding?????

To me at least, If it comes out again that Coley, possibly Bell (and whoever else Coley chooses to take to Spotland ) That we've accepted an undisclosed fee for their services....It's sending out the wrong message to any prospective replacement....i.e. " we're potless and ain't got any money to back a new man"

Just how many of these "undisclosed fees" have we accepted in the last couple of years???? Transarency required...Let's give any applicants for the positions ( which will be a very, very tough acts to follow of the previous occupiers of said positions) a chance!!!

I fear that we're at that line in the sand now...we all knew it would come one day, but one wrong move now and 12 years of hard work can go down the pan in the next eighteen months!!

Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill.

Last edited by carpon; 24-01-2012 at 01:44. Reason: typo
carpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 08:36   #215
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpon View Post
I know where you're coming from Macca....It's taken me all day to come to terms with this news...It really does suggest that he'd finally had enough of firefighting at Stanley and finally felt the time was right to move on......

We haven't backed him enough....It would have jarred anybody off, no end ,to continually have to re-build a squad every close season....I wish if only we'd have given Coley a little leeway. A few quid extra on the wagebill (league rules etc permitting ) a few quid to go and spend on an up and coming starlet from non-league....Losing Proccy probably was " the straw that broke the camels back" so to speak......:
Add to that the fact that we couldn't be bothered to cover the pitch pre Barnet. Coley must have been fuming. Good luck John and Jimmy, I hope you will get the support you deserve from your new bosses. It must be a heady feeling to join what must seem like a Premiership club by comparison.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 09:46   #216
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:

And Why, O Why, do we chose to continually do our business behind closed doors so to speak....by that I mean all these "undisclosed fees" received???? Am I right in saying that the only transfer from recent years that we've disclosed exactly what we've received is from Ryan going to Scunthorpe??? When the Tribunal HAD to release details of the transfer!!!!

Does anybody on here seriously think the compensation package ( if and when it's finally agreed ) will be anything different????

To me it's only relevant to do such a deal if we're actually going to use the money to buy new players.(or even go after a manager,who we might have to pay compensation for and with half an idea how to spend such money) If we're not going to spend the money we're getting, what are all these "undisclosed fees" hiding?????

To me at least, If it comes out again that Coley, possibly Bell (and whoever else Coley chooses to take to Spotland ) That we've accepted an undisclosed fee for their services....It's sending out the wrong message to any prospective replacement....i.e. " we're potless and ain't got any money to back a new man"

Just how many of these "undisclosed fees" have we accepted in the last couple of years???? Transarency required...Let's give any applicants for the positions ( which will be a very, very tough acts to follow of the previous occupiers of said positions) a chance!!!

I fear that we're at that line in the sand now...we all knew it would come one day, but one wrong move now and 12 years of hard work can go down the pan in the next eighteen months!!
Thats summat that bugs me Carpon!!! the transparency spoken about,after the takeover was mentioned by quite a few of em. Where the hell is it?
Old 24-01-2012, 10:40   #217
Resting In Peace

Quote:

We haven't backed him enough....It would have jarred anybody off, no end ,to continually have to re-build a squad every close season....I wish if only we'd have given Coley a little leeway. A few quid extra on the wagebill (league rules etc permitting ) a few quid to go and spend on an up and coming starlet from non-league....Losing Proccy probably was " the straw that broke the camels back" so to speak......

We are now in the age of TRANSPARENCY so there should not be any "undisclosed fees". The transfer fee we received for Proccy should be made public, and especially, the compensation received from Rochdale for Coley should be made public. The only reason I can think of that these amounts are "undisclosed" is that the management do not want to feel embarrassed by the small amounts accepted. So come on Ilyas or Peter Shaw or Rob Houseman or Peter Marsden, be transparent and let us know how much we have received.
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 10:51   #218
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF View Post
So come on Ilyas or Peter Shaw or Rob Houseman or Peter Marsden, be transparent and let us know how much we have received.
This
Old 24-01-2012, 11:18   #219
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

Proccy to preston £75k with add ons and that anit come from stanley either!!
Old 24-01-2012, 11:56   #220
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mab View Post
Proccy to preston £75k with add ons and that anit come from stanley either!!
Usually reliable source(s) Mark?
Div3North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 13:38   #221
Senior Member+

[quote=maccawozzagod;964656]well while we are comparing Galbraith and Coleman;

quote]

But a big difference is that Galbraith's successsful period brought in big crowds. Those crowds at today's prices would have produced healthy bank accounts. The general population of Accy just don't seem to have it in them to support a town team, even when it's doing well. That could be another factor persuading JC it was time to go (or at any rate not persuading him to stay).
Old 24-01-2012, 14:13   #222
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

[QUOTE=Chimer;964794]
Quote:

quote]

But a big difference is that Galbraith's successful period brought in big crowds. Those crowds at today's prices would have produced healthy bank accounts. The general population of Accy just don't seem to have it in them to support a town team, even when it's doing well. That could be another factor persuading JC it was time to go (or at any rate not persuading him to stay).
Big difference today mate "All" clubs had much larger gates back then, Rovers were averaging oer 30.000, Football was cheap enough fer Dad to take the kids.
Old 24-01-2012, 14:28   #223
Super Moderator

[quote=Chimer;964794]
Quote:
But a big difference is that Galbraith's successsful period brought in big crowds. Those crowds at today's prices would have produced healthy bank accounts. The general population of Accy just don't seem to have it in them to support a town team, even when it's doing well. That could be another factor persuading JC it was time to go (or at any rate not persuading him to stay).
Don't reckon the 6000-9000+ gates of the Galbraith era are a realistic proposition for a club like Stanley these days, Chimer. As Cashy says, crowds were bigger generally back then. Also, the population of Accy has shrunk by about 10,000. Then there's the lost generations who went elsewhere post-'62 and handed that on to their kids. Only nutters like thee and me carried on going to Peel Park!

However, having said that, I would've felt that the advent of Ilyas and the on-field success of the last season and a half would've pushed average gates over the 2,000 mark. The fact that they haven't may have persuaded Coley that he's banging his head against a brick wall!
Old 24-01-2012, 15:19   #224
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
However, having said that, I would've felt that the advent of Ilyas and the on-field success of the last season and a half would've pushed average gates over the 2,000 mark. The fact that they haven't may have persuaded Coley that he's banging his head against a brick wall!
Yeah Wyn, that's the point I was trying to make - even getting to the playoffs last season didn't seem to excite many people or create much of a buzz. The Newcastle Carling Cup game was a great atmosphere, fair enough, but neither that nor Fulham in the FA Cup was a home sell out. And the roof didn't do it ... what do people want!!
Old 24-01-2012, 15:26   #225
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimer View Post
what do people want!!
Ewood Park...Turf Moor...Man U v Chelsea in the pub.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..