Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Should Coleman and Bell go?
Yes 23 26.14%
No 65 73.86%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2007, 13:59   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Coleman & Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
Tend not to read Murdoch publications, and have failed to find this survey on Timesonline. Is there a link available?
Here it is, Oggy.

Trigger-happy chairmen do get results, so managers must do better | Football - Times Online
Accrington Web
Old 04-11-2007, 14:00   #17
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddevil2006 View Post
how long have some of you people been supporting Accrington Stanley ?
Not sure who you mean by "some of you people". I saw my first game at Peel Park in 1960.
Old 04-11-2007, 14:24   #18
Senior Member+

Right, thanks for that, my first thought is that the performance of the new managers is about the same as Coley's is now, (pts/game), so the room for improvement isn't there. It does depend on your base line.

The timing does seem to matter, let's just look at Lincoln and Wrexham (?) for how it works.

Now it’s out in the open, there are no secrets at the club.
Old 04-11-2007, 14:37   #19

I dont think they should go but sometimes the substitutions and tactics are bizarre, but I am not with them in training all week. I think thats a key factor. We dont deal with the players day in, day out, so we dont know what their committment is like, whether they have struggled in training or have been ill or have personal problems.
Old 04-11-2007, 14:45   #20
Senior Member+

Coleman was in a hard place yesterday. As the second half wore on we came more into the game. We actually created 2 very good chances in the last 15 minutes and really should have taken at least one of them. When the team is pressing and looking likely to score, maybe that isn't the best time to make changes.

I'm no Coleman fanboy, but I really don't know who we'd get to replace him. We aren't in a position to employ a big name manager, and how many of them would want to work with the minimal budget we have?
If Coleman was to leave, I think we'd end up with another non-league manager. Is that a step forward?
Old 04-11-2007, 15:04   #21
God Member

I don't think we have any specific problems that need wholesale changes and new faces bringing in.

We can do better with what we have and that is what is hard to take. As a club with the smallest budget in the entire Football League, the smallest ground, the smallest crowds etc we are expected to struggle and anything beyond that is a bonus and shows what a good manager Coley actually is.

But you can't help feeling that we could improve things. Substitutions were needed yesterday, 1-0 down at home, struggling to get behind their defence and we had McEvilly, Miles and Brown on the bench. Whether you rate none, one or all three of these players they are players who want to get on the pitch and try to win back their places, THEY SHOULD HAVE COME IN.

More people than not have barracked Williams this season, I like the guy and what he has acheived in his career with us is remarkable (though not unique - Proctor and Mullin) but this season he has not been as good as he could be and we have an International defender sat on the bench. Branch has not been as good as his pedigree says he could be. I don't care whether he is on big wages and must justify them, he hasn't warranted his selection. Leam is at the very least a 100% player and should be in there.

Roberts hasn't been the Rock that many seem to think he has been but he has been better than the rest. Maybe he is made to look bad sometimes when others around him let him down (like the first goal yesterday)

Cav has been brilliant going forward at times but his defending (and that is what he is paid to do) has been dodgy since we got promoted. If and when Edwards is fit again he has to come in. Maybe Cav should be employed in front of Edwards?

The defence is undoubtedly what lets us down practically every week, I think that we should revert to 4-4-2 and play as many of them as possible (Cav and Richardson on the wings) unti lsuch time as we find better players to put in those positions. Maybe with six defenders on the pitch we may find a little more consistency
Old 04-11-2007, 15:36   #22
God Member

Funny how fickle footy fans are. Like Baldy said... anyone remember Bradford?
Wasn't that long ago!!

Tactics & subs policy has to be sorted, we are all agreed on that.
Letting go of Coleman & Bell however would be stupid, and suicidal.

Room for improvement is healthy.

Last edited by shakermaker; 04-11-2007 at 15:41. Reason: canny spell
Old 04-11-2007, 15:48   #23
Senior Member+

I personally could not see why Leighton McGivern and Phill Edwards were not at least on the bench yesterday. After all, was it not our maestro who said they were both pushing for squad places after the midweek reserve game. I thought Ian Craney had a bit of an off game this week, which could be understandable due to all the unsettling things that have occurred this week. As others have said though, perhaps it was the new manager thing with Notts County yesterday, was it not Ian McParlands first game in charge? I don't know which way to vote, I will fence sit for now. But, after seeing the performance of some of the last home games, I do wonder why we are stronger away from home than at home. Maybe we will see the other Stanley at Morecambe on Tuesday night, but I am worried about Saturday against Huddersfield.

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Old 04-11-2007, 18:27   #24
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
Coleman was in a hard place yesterday. As the second half wore on we came more into the game. We actually created 2 very good chances in the last 15 minutes and really should have taken at least one of them. When the team is pressing and looking likely to score, maybe that isn't the best time to make changes.

I'm no Coleman fanboy, but I really don't know who we'd get to replace him. We aren't in a position to employ a big name manager, and how many of them would want to work with the minimal budget we have?
If Coleman was to leave, I think we'd end up with another non-league manager. Is that a step forward?
Our improved form in the last 15 minutes didn't seem to stop many fans leaving.

As for any possible replacement, I agree that we are not in a position to employ a big name manager and I'm not even sure that it would be a good idea. But someone could regard the club as a useful managerial job despite minimal budget. We have a lot of other things going for us. The thoughts that crossed my mind included a player at or near the end of their playing career and perhaps looking to enter management - Alan Stubbs and Stephane Henchoz come to mind. Both defenders! Maybe Andy Dibble, too. I have no idea if any of these would wish to enter management - it's just my thoughts.
Old 04-11-2007, 18:42   #25
Senior Member+

sacking coleman would be footballing suicide.
His network of scouts, knowledge of the non league and contacts have been essential in picking up players.

John Coleman is learning, the fact he has now changed his tactics away from home to a 3-5-2 formation shows he has developed his understanding of this division.

He knows we have a problem at left back, and tried signing one.

My only criticism of coleman is his tactics and team selection.
Vs. Wrexham, the problem was as much abbout choosing tired players as poor tactics.
He needs to utilise his squad, rather than having players simply to fill in when his favourites get injured or banned.

I think he has more to learn and will learn, and Stanley will be all the better for it.

I think Eric will tell him in no uncertain terms if his tactics and team selection where wrong.

We are going the right way, and we still have a real chance of making the play offs if we cut out the silly mistakes, rotate the players more, and adapt our game for the opponents.

Does McGivern,s contract run out in Jan?

btw, Vs Morecambe I would give them a fresh challenge and play McEvilly and Mc Givern. The bonus of Mullin and Dsane to come on to play against tired legs would cause Morecambe a real problem.
Old 04-11-2007, 18:42   #26
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revived Red View Post
Our improved form in the last 15 minutes didn't seem to stop many fans leaving.
Wrong - it was the 87th minute goal which caused the mass exodus.
How anyone can seriously advocate changing the managerial team with us in 11th place (OK, 12th after today's game) is beyond me. Just get behind the team instead of sniping. It was the ratched up noise level from the Ultras in the second half which got the team going yesterday. Pity the rest of the support don't follow suit to give us the 12th man to make up for you know who yesterday. At least the County goalie showed his appreciation of the middle Clayton end supporters at the finishing whistle. His lot were noticeable only by their silence until they scored.
Old 04-11-2007, 18:47   #27
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revived Red View Post
Hope you bought at least one 2007 calendar!!!
Even my son who's 6 recognised this months player Andy Todd, how much do we miss him?

Back to the question I think we should keep the faith with Coley but I just wish he would change things when its obvious something needs to be done. Despite my dislike for McEvilly even I thought that he should have made an appearence yesterday.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Old 04-11-2007, 18:48   #28
God Member

ahhh but after seeing his woeful display on weds in the reserves it was no wonder mcevilly didn't get a look in yesterday!!!

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
Old 04-11-2007, 18:55   #29
God Member

Thats one thing i really dont get at all maybe a poll should be done

Do u like McEvilly or not??

because seems to me that most of you dislike the guy & his play, slag him off mostly - then when mood suits u want him on the field & he's Mr Wonderful

I really dont get that at all?? Me well my opinion has always remained the same - keep him off

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Old 04-11-2007, 19:06   #30
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanleymad View Post
then when mood suits u want him on the field & he's Mr Wonderful
Nobody has said anything about him being Mr Wonderful, he's a donkey and always will be but it just shows how desperate we where for Coley to make a change.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Closed Thread

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..