Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-08-2016, 14:25   #1
Junior Member+

Coleman's Criticism of the Accrington Public

I get a bit cheesed off with Coleman’s regular tv jibes at the Accrington public for not supporting the side. There are many reasons, some economic, some social, some historic and possibly the fact that the EFL cup isn’t a big attraction. The town isn’t a big city with only two clubs, it’s a small economically deprived town sandwiched between a premier league and a former premier league club. The latter pitched its pricing at £12 and still couldn’t drag in its core support (ignoring the obvious special circumstances). As a Burnley fan living 5 minutes away from the Wham, Accrington born and bred, I’ve lived through the astonishing rebuilding of Stanley with the greatest of admiration for the unsung heroes that dragged the club out of the disgrace that was 1962. However as a child growing up in the sixties, it was either Burnley or Rovers. Three brothers went to the dark side but I saw the light and supported the Clarets, home and away during the 70’s, but my own family arrived and it became difficult to justify the expense. My football fix changed to regular visits to the Crown, and I became one of those rare beasts that have an attachment to two clubs.

But getting back to Sir John’s habitual pops at the Accy public, I took my youngest son (a Rovers fan!) along to the game and spent over £50 in admission and add-ons, as we made use the excellent fanzone. I have to admit I thought twice about the expense, especially as the game was on Sky. But I wanted the live experience, and the chance to do some father/son bonding. Despite the game not being one for the purist, I enjoyed every second on the Clayton end, which took me back in a small way to my experiences on the Longside in the seventies. It was probably during those days that the Accy Clarets fan group, possibly one of the larger Burnley supporters groups, first came into being. So we have to be realistic. Support for Stanley won’t be easily won, but the best way to antagonise possible customers of the future, John, is to consistently berate them on national tv.
yerself, AccyMad, smudgie and 5 others like this.
pyjamarama is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-08-2016, 14:36   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Coleman's Criticism of the Accrington Public

Agree completely.
Old 25-08-2016, 15:17   #3

Coley has a point and he wouldn't be the man he is if he did not vent it in a cumbersome self-defeating way.

Gates were pitiful given the quality of football played last season bar the last few home games.

It seems a shame but peak Acccrington Stanley appears to be around the 1300 mark. He must be pulling whats left of his hair out with frustration at the apathy shown by the Accy public (less 1300).

It does beg the question of who is going to sit in the new stand we are supposed to building.Maybe the people in the Jam Butty houses once their free view is blocked.
AccyMad and DAV007 like this.
Inspector Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 15:22   #4

As a Burnley fan living 5 minutes away from the Wham, Accrington born and bred, I’ve lived through the astonishing rebuilding of Stanley with the greatest of admiration for the unsung heroes that dragged the club out of the disgrace that was 1962. However as a child growing up in the sixties, it was either Burnley or Rovers.

Its not too late to repent and see the light.
AccyMad and Wynonie Harris like this.
Inspector Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 15:27   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Morse View Post
Coley has a point and he wouldn't be the man he is if he did not vent it in a cumbersome self-defeating way.

Gates were pitiful given the quality of football played last season bar the last few home games.

It seems a shame but peak Acccrington Stanley appears to be around the 1300 mark. He must be pulling whats left of his hair out with frustration at the apathy shown by the Accy public (less 1300).

It does beg the question of who is going to sit in the new stand we are supposed to building.Maybe the people in the Jam Butty houses once their free view is blocked.
Most people probably agree with what he said, i do, but gobbing off on National TV is not the way to attract more in my view.
Old 25-08-2016, 15:45   #6
God Member

Coley lives and breathes the club as the various youtube videos of his Crown celebrations will testify. I bet the comments he makes are a watered down version of what he is thinking.
DAV007 likes this.
Old 25-08-2016, 15:58   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Probably the case Rob, but not the wisest move he ever made imho.
Old 25-08-2016, 20:22   #8
Full Member+

Perhaps more folk would go on the home games if someone would get rid of that flaming drum.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 20:40   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowlf View Post
Perhaps more folk would go on the home games if someone would get rid of that flaming drum.
Thats complete rubbish in my view, we stand on the Clayton End away from the drum granted, we are all pensioners and it dont annoy us, if we stood dead near it, then it would do probably, thats an old chestnut and carries little weight with most reasonable folk i reckon.
MikeA, AccyMad, KiTChener and 3 others like this.
Old 25-08-2016, 21:08   #10
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Most people probably agree with what he said, i do, but gobbing off on National TV is not the way to attract more in my view.
All well and good, mate, but not everybody has your sense of tact and diplomacy!
Old 25-08-2016, 21:09   #11
Senior Member+

Coleman made a fair point
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 21:13   #12
Full Member+

Fair enough Cashy, maybe it does not sound as loud from where you are as it did on tv.The commentators must have been close to it as you d a job to hear them sometimes.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 21:18   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAV007 View Post
Coleman made a fair point
Dav no-ones disputing that, its the wisdom of doing it on Sky TV i'm questioning.
Old 25-08-2016, 21:37   #14
Full Member+

Maybe Coley could've mentioned the lower than expected gate was partly due to it being on the telly. We all know it was but if he'd reinforced that fact he might've made himself a little clearer.
winstanley asfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 21:39   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowlf View Post
Fair enough Cashy, maybe it does not sound as loud from where you are as it did on tv.The commentators must have been close to it as you d a job to hear them sometimes.
Football for fans not TV

The Voice of the Terrace

www.stanleyultras.co.uk

Willie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..