Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2012, 22:25   #1
Senior Member+

Coley Regret?

I think it's pretty obvious that Rochdale are going down so how does Coley feel about his decision to move there. After reading a lot of very negative and in a lot of cases aggressive posts regarding Coley and Jimmy on the Dale forum is he regretting their decision to leave Stanley to go to a club only marginally larger than Stanley but with aspirations and beliefs so far above their station where he does not have the legacy that he has left with us and the level of comfort and control that he had at The Crown.
Coley and Jimmy are and rightfully so legends at Stanley but at Rochdale they are perceived as non league personnel and have a serious job in bringing round the locals where they are seriously unimpressed with the "scouse mafia" and unsurprisingly also unimpressed with all of Coley's loan signings.
Good Luck to John and Jimmy but think you may have f****d up fellas
Old 11-04-2012, 22:33   #2
God Member

Re: Coley Regret?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nige b View Post
I think it's pretty obvious that Rochdale are going down so how does Coley feel about his decision to move there. After reading a lot of very negative and in a lot of cases aggressive posts regarding Coley and Jimmy on the Dale forum is he regretting their decision to leave Stanley to go to a club only marginally larger than Stanley but with aspirations and beliefs so far above their station where he does not have the legacy that he has left with us and the level of comfort and control that he had at The Crown.

I would imagine they had their reasons for going and trying something new. You can get bored in a comfort zone

Doubt if they regret it, they wanted a new challenge and it hasn't worked out .... so far. They can only really measure the decision if they don't go back up next season.
Old 11-04-2012, 22:33   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

To be honest Nige i couldn't care less. They made their choice.
Old 11-04-2012, 22:45   #4
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
I would imagine they had their reasons for going and trying something new. You can get bored in a comfort zone

Doubt if they regret it, they wanted a new challenge and it hasn't worked out .... so far. They can only really measure the decision if they don't go back up next season.
Dave totally agree but don't know the differential in their pay which I am sure wasn't the only reason for their move but it still doesn't seem a good move to me and to this day it seems churlish but as you say come 8 games into next season will be the telling factor....still think they made the wrong decision...should have waited for a bigger job
Old 11-04-2012, 23:47   #5

We are 10 points from the playoffs, cannot help but think if they had stayed we would be in the playoffs now, shame really
johnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:31   #6
Full Member+

Rochdale knew that keeping them up would be "a bonus" when they took Coley and Jimmy on. Next season will be a new start for them, just like Paul Cook at our place.
winstanley asfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:59   #7
God Member

It was always a big ask to keep the Dale up they had little time in the transfer window maybe slightly more in the Loan Window and I agree next season and the start they get off to will determine where that goes.

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:22   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc View Post
We are 10 points from the playoffs, cannot help but think if they had stayed we would be in the playoffs now, shame really
Dream on John, would never have made play offs wi our injurys,not rocket science.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:35   #9
God Member

I have a shufty at the Dale forum every couple of days or so, to see what's being said about the pair, and McConvile. I think one of the things you have to realise about their forum is they have regular invaders from Bury who pose as Dale fans and stir things up. They know almost as much about Dale as they do about Bury so its easy to appear like proper fans of Dale.

In general Dale fans were already resigned to relegation and as you say staying up would have been an icing on the cake. They seem to think that they have exactly the right sort of person in charge who will lead them on a promotion quest next season, but who will also develop the club in the sense of bringing cheap players through for profit.

The main consensus is around 1 in 10 who don't like him and for around 9 or 10 of his 12 years here it was pretty much the same.

I think that Coley is the right man to lead them next season but the clamour to get rid will be greater than anything he's experienced should they have a bad opening couple of months.
maccawozzagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:25   #10
Senior Member+

Nail on the head Macca.

Coley was given a stay of execution really, as 99% of Dale fans where resigned to relegation already.

Will be interesting to see where they are after 10 games next season.
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:54   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
To be honest Nige i couldn't care less. They made their choice.
Amen to that.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 19:19   #12
God Member

When the Rotherham job came up I did wonder if the legendary duo had wished they'd held out a little longer.
But to be honest I have every confidence that John and Jimmy will use the good infrastructure at Rochdale to its fullest and mount a serious promotion campaign next season, building on from there.
I think both our club has come out of the transition well and is looking at a very positive future under Cook.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2012, 08:46   #13
Junior Member+

I think we've come out of it well considering how anything could have happened when coley left. Finishing mid table is still a good result for us- the playoffs is a dream and promotion in the future would be amazing. We've come further in 10 years than probably any club- thanks to Coley in the main. If dale finish mid table next season he could be out and back in non-league- but that's the chance you take- he's had the chance play big clubs this season - but he may regret it in the end
stewthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2012, 15:01   #14

I personally think JC made a monumentus mistake by leaving Stanley, as I don't think he has the style of motivation that most players respond to. He is perfect for bringing in and developing either young lads or under-achieving existing league players. The common denominator is 'gratitude', and he always chooses players that will give him that in bucket loads.

Consequently he ends up with a squad of players who owe him big time, and will respond to his rather unique management style.

At Rochdale he does not have this from the existing players that he inherited, and will struggle until he can fill the playing staff with his own people. I just hope he can sort this out before it's too late, as I really fear for his future as a league manager.

more often than not, the grass isn't always greener on the other side!
Old 15-04-2012, 07:19   #15
Junior Member+

Dale fans have waited so long to get a promotion they'll be well down now- but nobody has a right to be in any division- just ask Stockport fans- I bet there well on a reality check- it just makes it more amazing where we are- I bet Macc are well down at the moment although they will have a derby against Stockport!

Not trying to rub it in for them but mostof us will when barrow or alty where our big games- good times these days
stewthered is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..