Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-02-2005, 15:07   #1
Super Moderator

Coley shocked at Tuesday's attendance

In tonight's L.E.T. Coley is wondering how we managed to lose 500 fans between Saturday and Tuesday. Futhermore he says, "People talk about wanting League football but is that a realistic option when the crowds aren't really big enough at the moment?"

Needless to say, I think he's right, but what does anyone else think? Has he got legitimate cause for complaint?
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-02-2005, 15:21   #2
God Member

Re: Coley shocked at Tuesday's attendance

Of course... the gates are down.. thats bad.... as said in another thread... a fantastic run of results against top opposition and the gates go down... how bad is that... As the manager its only fair that if he is doing his job right then he should expect the crowds to go up..

If the crowds go down when we are doing well then its a bad sign... and at the risk of harping on the same subject... long term doesn't get any better until we get the kids of hyndburn interested in there own town clubs instead of them all using free/cheap tickets to watch burnley and blackburn...

Take a block of seats and fill them with schoolkids for free... or boys scouts or boys brigade or anything else....
Old 25-02-2005, 15:32   #3
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX
Take a block of seats and fill them with schoolkids for free... or boys scouts or boys brigade or anything else....
Don't forget the OAPs. I'm sure a free mini bus (Free Advertising for the Company and it wouldn't do the club any harm) doing local pick ups for local matches would bring a few more bums on seats. Just a suggestion.

Just a few Questions:

Is there a lot of family attendance?

What sort of support (not just publicity) do you get from the local media?

Do you have open days for the kids to meet the players?

Is there any of the players who are local personalities or heroes

Does the club ask its players and senior members (fans included) visit the schools.

Do you get regular TV coverage?

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2005, 15:34   #4
Junior Member+

well u cant really blame him can u.. 6 straight wins and 1 draw and the gates are dropping? i think we should give free tickets to primary school kids so then a parent has to bring them and they'll pay so were up a few quid of that!

just an idea.......
Ant04@stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2005, 15:39   #5
Senior Member+

How many times has this subject reared its ugly head. Of Course attendance were down on Tuesday, they always are midweek - personally I thought there was more than 1800+ on Saturday. There certainly appeared to be more like 2.500 if the crowd on Tuesday was 1400. However, Club officials have said all along that the club is on an even keel and that attendances this season, which could have averaged better are not hurting the club.Lets not get on anybodies backs, but lets spread the word as supporters. To other non Accrington fans reading this thread, get yourself down and have a ball. Try Monday night against Bamber Bridge for starters.

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2005, 15:48   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
Don't forget the OAPs. I'm sure a free mini bus (Free Advertising for the Company and it wouldn't do the club any harm) doing local pick ups for local matches would bring a few more bums on seats. Just a suggestion.

Just a few Questions:

Is there a lot of family attendance?

What sort of support (not just publicity) do you get from the local media?

Do you have open days for the kids to meet the players?

Is there any of the players who are local personalities or heroes

Does the club ask its players and senior members (fans included) visit the schools.

Do you get regular TV coverage?
In reply:
Yes I take my two kids to every home game & home cup games too, as I run my own business away games are trickier but do try when available.
Local media: apart from reporters on game , don't make us laugh-knocking sells more papers don't u know!
Players are usually approachable after every home game in clubhouse & club is always open for suggestions-also several usually spend day with kiods at regular soccer schools.
All the players are heroes in Stanley fans eyes-bit of a silly question? Et Al Evil, Smithy, Cav, Rory need I go on.
Have known players to visit schools & open events too. JK in Observer this week opening a shop.
TV- As much as any other conference club.

Dont forget we are a small club with a large name but doesnt mean we are rolling in it like the premier clubs. Bear in mind what you pay to go out for a meal or go to the pictures, kids £3, SCit & 13+£6 adult £10- My son went to Barnet & got charged same as
adults! Lets face it the more support the club gets financially the more we can progress & get the league place back we deserve.
Old 25-02-2005, 16:28   #7

the last post from me is from my dad
Old 25-02-2005, 16:31   #8

Smart fella - talks a lot of sense IN MY OPINION and I see he is bringing his kid up right too

Jimbo T blower

Born and Bred in Accrington - You cant BUY class

"We invented the big time now we're back in the big time" ( Loweiy circa 2006 )

AND THATS WHERE WE'RE STAYIN!!!!
Jimbo T Hornblower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2005, 19:13   #9
Senior Member+

Saturday(Barnet) was a decent attendance and could the reason be that a lot of free tickets where given to kids at soccer school for that game, they in turn bring there PAYING parents. As Kipax has said above and many others keep saying, GET THE FUTURE OF ACCY STANLEY IN THEM SEATS NNOOWW and you will get the results tenfold in the future.....

Basic business sense SPECULATE to ACCUMULATE

Why do Tesco etc spend 10million to build a new store?????
Because in years to come it will make 100+ million

But if you dont spend the ten?????????????

You throw away £90million !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I and many others have managed to get young kids to come to the IES. But the first question is.. how much?????
Free tickets for these would work wonders.. I gave one lad a free ticket for the barnet game, and he brought along 4 older PAYING mates...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2005, 19:50   #10

I was working Saturday but the weather Tuesday wasn't the best, Simons point about spending money to see it back in the future is a good one, just when can we expect to see a roof over one end ???
Shurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2005, 20:17   #11
Senior Member+

I don't want to knock the Club but the facilities aren't great and I mean basic stuff here;tannoy that you can't hear,appalling toilet facilities[how many times does the ladies have no loo roll?] car park that resembles a swamp,plus it's so cold and unprotected that I wouldn't dream of bringing my child to a night match. Yes,I know we are a little club and improvements are on the way, but I am not surprised that the crowd was down;it was bloody freezing!
Old 25-02-2005, 20:30   #12
Senior Member+

Good point Lindsay.. Lets not forget King Coley is 110% full of unbridled passion for football and Stanley, as are about 300-500 others, but the higher the figure above that the more comfort and amenities make a HUGE difference to attendance.
Many of us can not understand this as we are hooked big time, but ask my 7yr old daughter at a night match. and she is cold. can not take her in bar because the screens are across.

I do not see any problems here...... Just opportunities
simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2005, 21:20   #13
Member.

Keyco, Thank your dad for his time and his reply, obviously I’m not in the area so difficult to know just how things are, not to mention the state of the ground. Thanks too ta’ Lindsay Ormerod and Simon for that picture. I take it that the national lottery has been approached for funding?

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..