Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2011, 16:33   #31
Senior Member+

Re: Coley to quit over Cisak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
We should be banging on doors; get us on the TV. get those cameras on the sponsorship boards. Get industry on our side, Ticket bundles for small business, get people to sponsor a Tickets for Troops campaign; get the whole community engaged; how many ethnic/culture groups are represented. engage with people. try engaging with us as a starter project.
I agree "we" should be doing these things - but who is "we"? Rob is halfway down Kilimanjaro (which at least is good Google Page Ranking), Lew is busy with the shop (which people generally seem to think is doing well) so who exactly does that leave to do all these good, time-consuming things?

"Engaging with us" (i.e. the lunatics who live on this messageboard) might be one approach - but imho doing nothing does less harm than sparking off some bright idea and not following it through properly and professionally. There have been a few of those over the last few years .

And before anyone flames me, I do know people have offered their services in the past and been given a stiff ignoring.

I have no solution - I'm just prepared to keep hoping the corner has been turned. Maybe some of the things you list are going on in the background .....
Old 05-07-2011, 21:49   #32

You were brilliant last season but that failure at the last hurdle created a shop window for all your best performers and when the higher league vultures start circling you have to take it on the chin that most will leave.
Same thing happened to Oldham except they got done both ways as the likes of Utd and Villa came in for players after cup meetings, Feeder clubs to the rich lot, That includes most clubs below Championship level
OLDHAMADE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 21:53   #33
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDHAMADE View Post
Feeder clubs to the rich lot,

It's tough to take but personally think thats a good thing, it's how British football survived without debt for years and money was shared down through the system before the advent of money being spent on foreign players.
Old 05-07-2011, 22:11   #34
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
It's tough to take but personally think thats a good thing, it's how British football survived without debt for years and money was shared down through the system before the advent of money being spent on foreign players.
Yep, I fully agree. It was better for football generally and better for the players, too, because more good British talent could work its way to the highest levels.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 22:21   #35
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Tougher to take when yer younger i think? as yeh grow older i think theres more of n acceptance.
Old 05-07-2011, 22:33   #36

Quote:
On the downside it means you're unlikely to be able to build on last season, Losing the likes of Ryan will leave a massive void that you'll struggle to fill.
OLDHAMADE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 22:39   #37
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDHAMADE View Post
On the downside it means you're unlikely to be able to build on last season, Losing the likes of Ryan will leave a massive void that you'll struggle to fill.
Possibly, but wi coley as boss yeh never know.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:10   #38
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Possibly, but wi coley as boss yeh never know.
exactly.

he found gems such as ryan, craney, symes, grant, mcconville, etc

and im sure he will find plenty more.

Is it not the case we have to wait for interest from other clubs to cool on players before we can start to talk with them seriously about signing
?
My theory is most other clubs can offer significantly bigger wages. When they are no longer interested, players will be willling to sign for us for less.
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:21   #39
Senior Member+

Transfer now on Oldham's site:
Oldham Athletic | News | News Update | News Update | KEEPER CISAK SIGNS FOR LATICS

It says a compensation package has been agreed.
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:32   #40
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

very sad,but expected.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:45   #41
Full Member+

At least that saga is over and (hopefully) we can now concentrate on the players that are staying and the players that want to play for Stanley

However, is there any news on the players that agreed to sign and those that would allegedly do it in the "next few days", i.e. McConville & Barnett?

With just one director based in the area, this really was very poor timing for the CEO to go AWOL on charity business IMO
Whalley Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:56   #42
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalley Red View Post
At least that saga is over and (hopefully) we can now concentrate on the players that are staying and the players that want to play for Stanley

However, is there any news on the players that agreed to sign and those that would allegedly do it in the "next few days", i.e. McConville & Barnett?

With just one director based in the area, this really was very poor timing for the CEO to go AWOL on charity business IMO
Whilst away on a wonderful cause, matter of priorities imho.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:57   #43
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalley Red View Post
Very good question. I did comment earlier on the negative aspect of the fishy site which was reporting all the departures. Dan replied by saying that he was awaiting confirmation of the actual signings so it seems that we still await that confirmation.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:09   #44
God Member

I don't think Rob being away will affect any signings. He's not incommunicado and I don't think he sits there actually typing up the paperwork. I reckon JC is probably the one who discusses the terms with the players.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:45   #45
Member.

I don't that Rob being away would impact on anything regarding the players or local communication. Regardless of the past; Rob as undertaken a major feat in the name of what is a very remarkable organisation and as done so in the name of Accrington Stanley and the Football League. I think he and those who worked to organise the event deserve better than negative comments about his being away. The whole Club should be behind this guy and the cause he's worked so hard for; at the end of the day he's very much done this to heighten the name of the club at large and should have our respect for that.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..