Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2004, 11:07   #1

Wink Congrats I suppose!!

I suppose congratulations are due to our part-time 'brethren' Aldershot as they progressed on penalties to the play-off final (v Shrewsbury). Do they have plans to go full-time? I would have thought that it would be extremely difficult to maintain a league place as a part-time outfit, if they go up that is.

Going the opposite way I hear that there is a lot of noise coming from Carlisle on how they're "too good for the conference'"....but too poor for Division Three then eh?! All the luck in the world to them, but I think they'll find it a lot harder than they think, we'll see...!
Old 04-05-2004, 12:39   #2
Full Member+

Re: Congrats I suppose!!

Aldershot, along with Burton and Gravesend & Northfleet, are "considering" going full-time according to the report on the BBC site:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...nf/3663205.stm
Whalley Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 12:42   #3
God Member

Good luck to Aldershot in the final - I for one would rather they go up than arrogant Shrewsbury who are talking as if they're in the league already.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 12:47   #4

I think it would be fantastic for Aldershot to go up as last year they were in the Unibond with us. Congratulations to both teams for making it into the final.
Old 04-05-2004, 12:49   #5
God Member

Aldershot have never been in the Unibond.. would have been uproar if they had
KIPAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 12:51   #6

what was I thinking?!? Sorry, its early....for me.
Old 04-05-2004, 12:56   #7
God Member

hehe we knew what yameant... the quivelant league....

heres a good link for how its going to be setup next season

http://www.thefa.com/Grassroots/Leag...ng_2004-05.htm
Old 04-05-2004, 13:24   #8
Senior Member+

The FULL Story...

CONFERENCE BOSS BACKS UNITED MOVE
Published on 04/05/2004

By Lee Rowcroft

NATIONWIDE Conference chief executive John Moules believes Carlisle United’s decision to remain full-time will give them genuine hope of an immediate return to the Football League.

United are still coming to terms with the hammer blow of relegation from Division Three but club owner John Courtenay remains defiant, insisting that the Blues will do everything they can to bounce back at the first attempt.

And that means retaining full-time status for the Cumbrians’ first team squad, which Moules says is the only way to gain promotion next season.

He said: “I honestly think if that hadn’t been the case, they would have struggled.

“More than half the teams in the Conference are now full-time and those who are not are likely to find it hard to compete.

“I appreciate that everyone connected with Carlisle United will be bitterly disappointed at this moment in time. But the Conference is improving all the time and the teams are getting stronger and stronger.

“Shrewsbury and Exeter have found that to be the case this season and with Burton and Accrington going full-time in the summer, it is only going to add to the quality of the competition.”

United will be hit financially after dropping out of the Football League but Moules believes that won’t be too much of a problem if they can win promotion immediately.

“If they are only in the Conference for one season it shouldn’t affect them too much and if that is the case, I’m sure we’ll enjoy having them and I think Carlisle and their fans will have a better time with us than they possibly imagine at this moment in time,” added Moules.

Clubs in the Conference are only allowed to spend 65 per cent of their budget on players’ wages but United will have a parachute payment from the Football League to fall back on for the 2004/05 campaign.

David Cairns is commercial director at Halifax Town, who have shuttled between the Football League and the Conference in recent years.

He explained: "In your first season in the Conference, you still get money from the Football League of about £100,000, as opposed to a figure of around £200,000 that Division Three teams get now.”

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 14:37   #9

Wink Re: Congrats I suppose!!

The noise I was referring too was apparently coming from the fans, according to a certain BBC Conference poster.
Old 04-05-2004, 16:29   #10
Junior Member+

I heard a rumour in the North Lancashire press that Carlisle would not be applying to the conference as they would be applying to the Scottish FA for a place in the Scottish Third Division. You may recall that Gretna did a similar thing about two years ago and did quite well this season.
Peelparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 18:27   #11

It would be a shame if they did because we have lost two 'derbies' with Leigh and Northwich relagated and no-one is coming up from the Unibond as I understand. It means less opportunity for a local game and more expense for the club as the teams coming from the other feeder leagues will probably require overnight stays.
Minister Onymfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 19:00   #12
Senior Member+

i heard the same rumour around the middle of the season, ive asked ppl and most sed it wont happen, not too sure now
AccyStanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 19:36   #13
Senior Member+

It is still not yet guaranteed that we have 'lost' a local derby with Leigh RMI - due to the complexities of the system at Margate and Telford it is they who may not be with us next season. Leigh still haven't given up hope just yet although the management are a bit peeved to say the least because they are unsure which league they will be playing in. BTW according to Wigan Evening Post, David McNiven is about to sign a new contract with RMI. Obviously we can cross that one off our list.

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 08:22   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceejache
Going the opposite way I hear that there is a lot of noise coming from Carlisle on how they're "too good for the conference'"....but too poor for Division Three then eh?! All the luck in the world to them, but I think they'll find it a lot harder than they think, we'll see...!
Generaly everyone who comes down from the league thinks they have a devine right to go straight back up (including us when we came down) then they realis its not that easy. Its taken most teams who've come down four or five years and alot of money to get back up again (since the conference started to turn pro)...

Would be typical if slop go and go straight back up through the playoff's this year
Chester Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 18:55   #15

If the away goals rule had applied, which i think it should have, it would be Hereford playing Shrewsbury in the play-off Final

Dave
davy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..