Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2017, 20:34   #16
God Member

Re: County Match Thread

Well done to all the lads today, we dug in & held on for a well deserved 3 points!! Shay struggled a bit today & if I've any criticism I thought he should've been subbed before he was - ref was rubbish, nothing new there! How the hell their keeper got away with handling outside his area I'll never know but in the end justice was done.
All of our loanees played their part, Motm for me could've been anyone of a dozen - bring on Pompey!!
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-02-2017, 20:38   #17
I am Banned

One bad thing I do have to say was Hughes telling rodak what to do with ball and confusing the poor lad, the keeper should be in charge of the defence not the other way round
AccyMad likes this.
st06nc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 22:11   #18

Crown Grounder - hope you are right about Clare. My snap judgement on him is a hasty one for sure.

I thought the ref was outstanding. Let the play flow. Also, didn't look like handball to me. He stepped out of his box but held the ball in the area.

Surprised some of you rated County. I thought they were p@ss poor indeed. When we had that dire opening 15 minutes they still looked no better than us. I saw them in the away match and thought they looked doomed then. Nowt's changed in that regard.

Last edited by Lord Didsbury; 04-02-2017 at 22:12. Reason: Spell
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 00:32   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
Surprised some of you rated County. I thought they were p@ss poor indeed. When we had that dire opening 15 minutes they still looked no better than us.
Can't agree Lord D. There were long periods in the second half when we really had our backs to the wall.
They were peppering our box with crosses & shots & an equaliser looked on the cards, but our defence was outstanding.
There are no easy games in league 2, as we've found to our cost this season.
I was more impressed by County's performance today than Carlisle's the other week - and they're at the other end of the table.
choirboy likes this.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 05:21   #20
Senior Member+

Whoa with the criticism, we scored two goals and kept a clean sheet, and a couple of new players adding to the talent, can only be onwards and upwards now.
choirboy likes this.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:49   #21

Lord Stiff - funny how we saw it differently. I'm normally a bag of nerves when the opposition have the ball but I was pretty relaxed yesterday. We seemed to pick up a lot of loose passes in midfield, Rodak didn't have one shot to save apart from the one-on-one (the few shots they had mostly ballooned into the crowd I thought). Maybe they got in quite a lot of crosses now you mention it, but weren't most of those corners we dealt with very easily?

Their fans were highly critical of the performance on FB afterwards - although I guess that's probably par for the course after any defeat.

On the subject of crosses....we now appear to be bloody ace in the air. Corners for us used to be very underwhelming - now they look our best bet for a goal. The combo of Beckles and Rodgers in defence means it's very hard for opposing teams to put in a cross where there won't be one of them winning the header.
Damn! Shouldn't be tempting fate like that, but I'm just so happy with the defence. What will happen when Matty P returns?

Last edited by Lord Didsbury; 05-02-2017 at 08:51. Reason: Minor change
Old 05-02-2017, 11:13   #22
Senior Member+

'A team that the Magpies should be embarrassed to share a pitch with in a league fixture'
https://prideofnottingham.co.uk/home...-defeat-r1304/

Meanwhile, the goals:
http://www.skysports.com/watch/video...0-notts-county
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 11:24   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossy kid View Post
Whoa with the criticism, we scored two goals and kept a clean sheet, and a couple of new players adding to the talent, can only be onwards and upwards now.
Who's being critical?
My earlier thread described yesterday as a precious & hard won victory.
I took exception to Lord D's description of County as being 'p*** poor'.
We saved Stead's goal bound shot at the post in the first half & they applied some real pressure in the second half.
They could quite easily have equalised on several occasions and that's why I praised our defence as outstanding.
Any team that manages to achieve 52% possession away from home & match us for corners can hardly be described as 'p*** poor'.
Yesterday was an excellent result, but don't the scoreline influence our opinion that the opposition were somehow inferior.
choirboy likes this.
Old 05-02-2017, 21:24   #24
God Member

PLEASE! Mr Coleman. Keep the same team that left the field today.
You've found the right recipe for success.[/QUOTE]

very true. we looked far better in the last twent odd mins. than we did previously.
Chrisr likes this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 21:41   #25
Full Member+

Both Clare and Rodgers were superb as well as Nusan. The don was brilliant. The big big problem is who would you leave out when Matty pearson is available??? In fairness all round County were fighting for the points as well, They were no push overs. Their keeper pulled off some stunning saves. It was a massive improvement from us and we should take the confidence forwards and hopefully climb that table.
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 00:36   #26
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
PLEASE! Mr Coleman. Keep the same team that left the field today.
You've found the right recipe for success.
Don't be daft he won't do that
st06nc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 14:14   #27

Chrisr - this is so annoying! I loved the Don first.

Seriously though, I've not been blown over with him on the wing, although I'm happy enough for him to stay there as he does a decent job and may even improve.

Can Matty P play midfield?
Old 06-02-2017, 16:52   #28
Super Moderator

Quote:

Seriously though, I've not been blown over with him on the wing, although I'm happy enough for him to stay there as he does a decent job and may even improve.

Think Matty played ( and captained) England from a midfield position.
Mr T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 20:09   #29
Full Member+

Quote:

I had to watch the don for a few games to work out where I thought he would be at his best, It became clear with the loan signings. I always thought his forward play was good, but when he attacked from the forward wing position He certainly was a danger to the opposition. The ground conditions were not perfect but he did manage to put some deadly crosses in. The system we played on Saturday suited us. I am not to sure about Matty being in the midfield as we have some big lads in there and they are good. I know there will be a place for Matty. Like the Don it may be that a complete position change maybe is what is needed as we can always revert back if we had to. There are some interesting combinations as options for us. I feel a lot more confident than I did a week ago. Mr T has made the observation on Matty p but I would let him try other positions he is a warrior.
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 20:12   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr T View Post
Think Matty played ( and captained) England from a midfield position.
Now there's an excellent (and literal) example of 'thinking outside the box' from Lord D.
I could just see Matty Pearson taking up a central position just in front of our back four, stopping opponents in their tracks & making killer passes from midfield.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..