Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree66Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-04-2017, 14:16   #61
Senior Member+

Re: Crawley - a must win game at the Theatre of Wham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
I think we have to accept that if Matty is in midfield then we are going to pose less threat down the wings. Not enough creativity and good passing to bring our wide men into play.

Not sure I could stand a full season like that but happy enough to keep this formation for the last three games if it means we win them.

Coley was right about the pitch. Hard and bobbly it was. Amusing to watch the belated attempts at half time to water it - drenching the poor kids playing 5-a-side.
Wait till you see the state of Rodney Parade - makes Accy look like the green baize at the snooker.
AccyMad likes this.
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-04-2017, 16:53   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Eight View Post
You cant't give it up can you ?
First I'm Jon ( Clark's father is called Ian by the way) now I'm Clark's dad but I'm not called Ian.

Shake your head lettuce lover.
Are you his son then!!?? Sounds more likely twenty Eight
Lord Love Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 19:50   #63
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip View Post
Chester, languishing in the lower reaches of the National League & with a similar population to Hyndburn, played Woking yesterday - a southern team below them in the league - attendance 1770!
Hereford in Southern League South & West have averaged over 3,000 for their last two home matches.
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 20:30   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
Hereford in Southern League South & West have averaged over 3,000 for their last two home matches.
Correct, but how many other football clubs are within spitting distance of them?
Lord Love Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 20:34   #65
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Cashy, my earlier post referred only to our own fan base, I ignored the Crawley attendance - although it's a poor do when we have to rely on the opposition to boost our gate.
Chester, languishing in the lower reaches of the National League & with a similar population to Hyndburn, played Woking yesterday - a southern team below them in the league - attendance 1770!
I find it pathetic that, even with the combination of factors I stated earlier, we can't even scrape a 2000 gate with 3 games left & on the brink of a play-off spot.
Makes you wonder if we'd get any more fans even if we did get promotion?
Aye but Chester aint 5miles away from Blackburn Or Burnley, where everyone went in 62 after Accy didn;t have a team,The late Jeff,Keep The Faith, and myself came back, but many did not, people to me never hardly ever take that factor into account.
Old 18-04-2017, 20:46   #66
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Love Rocket View Post
Are you his son then!!?? Sounds more likely twenty Eight
You are one weird person.
Lord Love Rocket likes this.
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 20:58   #67
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Aye but Chester aint 5miles away from Blackburn Or Burnley, where everyone went in 62 after Accy didn;t have a team,The late Jeff,Keep The Faith, and myself came back, but many did not, people to me never hardly ever take that factor into account.
Agree, cashman is a stanley legend.

people should show him more respect.
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 22:10   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
No, but it's only a 30 minute train trip away from a game at either Liverpool or Everton!
Plus, Burnley didn't play on Easter Monday.
As for Blackburn, I know many Rovers fans who have given up going to matches since their recent demise.
As a boy, I first went to see Stanley at Peel Park with my Grandad in 1958, so I'm fully aware of the factors you mention and yes, I am also one of those who came back.
Andy Holt & John Coleman must be wondering what, if anything, they can do to convince more fans to come?
The teams on fire, admission prices reduced - and we still can't even match attendances at non-league games.
I really expected we'd hit 2000 on Easter Monday after our recent run so, sorry!
If you feel under 1600 home fans is acceptable in our current position, I can only disagree.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 22:46   #69
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

Accrington 1-0 Crawley | Video | Watch TV Show | Sky Sports
Lord Love Rocket likes this.
Old 19-04-2017, 06:55   #70
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
No, but it's only a 30 minute train trip away from a game at either Liverpool or Everton!
Plus, Burnley didn't play on Easter Monday.
As for Blackburn, I know many Rovers fans who have given up going to matches since their recent demise.
As a boy, I first went to see Stanley at Peel Park with my Grandad in 1958, so I'm fully aware of the factors you mention and yes, I am also one of those who came back.
Andy Holt & John Coleman must be wondering what, if anything, they can do to convince more fans to come?
The teams on fire, admission prices reduced - and we still can't even match attendances at non-league games.
I really expected we'd hit 2000 on Easter Monday after our recent run so, sorry!
If you feel under 1600 home fans is acceptable in our current position, I can only disagree.
I never said acceptable, i said a slight improvement. also i mentioned people coming back i was aware of. obviously was a few more,but the Majority did not, and those young uns from 62 got wed etc and took their families to Blackburn @ Burnley. their kids never had a Stanley to come back to.

Last edited by cashman; 19-04-2017 at 06:59.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2017, 07:34   #71
God Member

think both cashy and lord stiffupperlip both make valid points about our gates or lack of em. crawley at home wasn,t really a game a neutral could really get excited about and blackburn had a real 6 pointer against bristol city the same day. it,s been gone on about for as long as i can remember about how to increase the attendance at the wham. i can,t think of any other way we can. people just ain,t interested. they have their own clubs to support now. lads that went to stanley in 62 are grandads now and we,ve lost 2 generations of potential support. any answers let everyone know.
Lord Stiffupperlip likes this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2017, 07:40   #72
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

I did suggest during E.W.s tenure, that to me the only way to build on gates would be to constantly work on the schools with the very young, if yeh can snare some of those then we got a chance. every club gets increased attendances when they are up at the top, but decreased when the aint. that was my 2 pennorth.
Old 19-04-2017, 11:38   #73

Funnily enough I went to Blackburn as soon as the final whistle blew at the Theatre of Wham. Met some Bristol fan mates in Wetherspoons there.

It was the very first time I'd been to Blackburn.

In fact, I mentioned this to some blokes outside the pub who were attempting to engage me with some small talk about the indian takeaway opposite. "Oh where are you from then?" asked one. When I told them Accrington they seemed highly amused - like they were expecting me to have made a pilgrimage from deepest Kent or something.

I thought it was normal to hate Burnley and Blackburn and want nowt to do with them? I was always told it was in my DNA and that was that. Did seasoned Accy fans really desert to these places? That's shocking.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2017, 12:15   #74

Lord D. What's up wi Witherspoons in Accy????
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2017, 12:16   #75
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
. Did seasoned Accy fans really desert to these places? That's shocking.
no-one deserted accy didn't have a football team to support. My dad never went to another football match till the day he died, I was 14 in 1962, loved football so went to watch it not shocking, sensible.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..